Alarming Vcore Voltage no idea why? 6700K (stock)

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
So I am running my 6700K Stock. But on HWMonitor my Max Vcore is reaching 1.428v I don't think its staying there but it is reaching it. I thought it was HWMonitor latest update but I went back to the previous version and I am still getting the same error. I am also having a weird issue when I am playing Fallout 76 something happens in the background and the game minimizes on its own, not sure if its somehow related to the Voltage issue or not. Just did a fresh Install of Windows 7 a day ago and I ran Malwarebytes and have no viruses. Don't want to burn my CPU Out.

Edit: My temps are normal. So not sure what's going on but its not going passed 65c for Package. However the CPU Fan was blasting Full speed none stop even when nothing was running.

Any ideas or suggestions? this is really alarming.Forums.PNG

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Make sure none of the auto overclocking options are enabled in BIOS.

You might also want to check for a BIOS update.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Make sure none of the auto overclocking options are enabled in BIOS.

You might also want to check for a BIOS update.
BIOS has being set to Optimized Defaults 2 times already. Just checked no BIOS updates available. NO clue what's going on. Just did Realbench Stress test for 15 minutes and the voltages didn't get passed the normal 1.24v. It seems to happen only with gaming but I'll have to keep an eye on it, this is the second time its done it since yesterday.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Looks like you're getting some kind of voltage overshoot (the sort of thing that can be caused by high LLC settings during load transitions).

Might be worth it to look into using a low LLC setting just in case.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Looks like you're getting some kind of voltage overshoot (the sort of thing that can be caused by high LLC settings during load transitions).

Might be worth it to look into using a low LLC setting just in case.
I never messed with the LLC option in BIOS. I am not even sure how to do it honestly. Doubt it would be High since I did set the Optimized BIOS settings to default.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Board makers sometimes want to win the benchmark race too much, and their default choices are interesting.

You may have to go in to the advanced menus and look around at what the defaults are set to.

Reactions: Meghan54

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Board makers sometimes want to win the benchmark race too much, and their default choices are interesting.

You may have to go in to the advanced menus and look around at what the defaults are set to.
Had this board for 3 years, haven't had this problem before. I'll have a look.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Had this board for 3 years, haven't had this problem before. I'll have a look.

The other possibility is that your VRMs are starting to give out. One job your board's power delivery system has is to suppress overshoot. If the caps are wearing out, then voltage delivery can go to pot. Excess vdroop and overshoot are both possible symptoms.

Regardless, setting LLC to off manually may be informative. See if you get the overshoot problems under those conditions. Intel's VRM specs for their platforms should prevent any overshoot if LLC is disabled.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
The other possibility is that your VRMs are starting to give out. One job your board's power delivery system has is to suppress overshoot. If the caps are wearing out, then voltage delivery can go to pot. Excess vdroop and overshoot are both possible symptoms.

Regardless, setting LLC to off manually may be informative. See if you get the overshoot problems under those conditions. Intel's VRM specs for their platforms should prevent any overshoot if LLC is disabled.
I am really new into computers, like I know the basic of Overclocking and stuff but I never messed with LLC before. Do I want it disabled at this point? if the issue happens again I'll tweak the BIOS settings. Thanks for the help.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Is MCE (Multi-Core Enhancement) set? That can be a cause of too-high stock Vcore. Some boards set it automagically when you set XMP (but shouldn't).

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Have you been tracking Vcore right along, so that you know this behavior is new, or is this the first you have looked at it?

Gigabyte is famous/infamous for setting their boards hot, so "optimal default" is likely to be hot. Where one sees this a lot is with "adaptive voltage" -- VID+x. You might try absolute voltage. I use Gigabyte boards, and I never use the VID+x system.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Have you been tracking Vcore right along, so that you know this behavior is new, or is this the first you have looked at it?

Gigabyte is famous/infamous for setting their boards hot, so "optimal default" is likely to be hot. Where one sees this a lot is with "adaptive voltage" -- VID+x. You might try absolute voltage. I use Gigabyte boards, and I never use the VID+x system.
Yes I monitor through HWMonitor almost daily but just noticed the extremely high Vcore for the first time yesterday and today.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
OP, one trick I use to get voltage in check on my boards is to run with a minimal negative offset that doesn't count as undervolting. My two Intel boards are both from MSI though, so your mileage may vary on the Gigabyte BIOS.

By default my board has high voltages for low core count loads (not as high as yours, but still unnecessary). By moving from Auto to Offset mode for voltage the BIOS also switches to a more realistic (stock?) voltage table, and since the Offset is almost non-existent like -0.01V or -0.005V, the result is CPU is running with better voltage all-round.

Now, as I said, your mileage may vary on the Gigabyte board, you may also need to turn down LLC a notch - which shouldn't be a problem either if CPU is running at stock clocks.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I am really new into computers, like I know the basic of Overclocking and stuff but I never messed with LLC before. Do I want it disabled at this point? if the issue happens again I'll tweak the BIOS settings. Thanks for the help.

You should try disabling LLC and see what happens. If voltages are in normal/acceptable ranges except for the odd spikes, then I would not immediately think that the board is overvolting habitually. But it is possible that Gigabyte has chosen an aggressive LLC setting by default that may not be working out so well anymore thanks to gradual VRM degradation.

Reactions: coercitiv

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
OP, one trick I use to get voltage in check on my boards is to run with a minimal negative offset that doesn't count as undervolting. My two Intel boards are both from MSI though, so your mileage may vary on the Gigabyte BIOS.

By default my board has high voltages for low core count loads (not as high as yours, but still unnecessary). By moving from Auto to Offset mode for voltage the BIOS also switches to a more realistic (stock?) voltage table, and since the Offset is almost non-existent like -0.01V or -0.005V, the result is CPU is running with better voltage all-round.

Now, as I said, your mileage may vary on the Gigabyte board, you may also need to turn down LLC a notch - which shouldn't be a problem either if CPU is running at stock clocks.
Already did that. I have it at a negative offset of -0.050v
You should try disabling LLC and see what happens. If voltages are in normal/acceptable ranges except for the odd spikes, then I would not immediately think that the board is overvolting habitually. But it is possible that Gigabyte has chosen an aggressive LLC setting by default that may not be working out so well anymore thanks to gradual VRM degradation.

Ran some games all day yesterday and a few Realbench stress test (15) and didn't have the high voltage issues again. Not sure what was going on but will keep monitoring daily via HWMonitor.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Ran some games all day yesterday and a few Realbench stress test (15) and didn't have the high voltage issues again. Not sure what was going on but will keep monitoring daily via HWMonitor.

Okay, post back if you have any other problems. Eventually you might want to think about replacing board + CPU with something newer if you run into more problems. Three years isn't an eternity, but it is long enough for hardware to start developing problems if you get a less-than-stellar sample.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Okay, post back if you have any other problems. Eventually you might want to think about replacing board + CPU with something newer if you run into more problems. Three years isn't an eternity, but it is long enough for hardware to start developing problems if you get a less-than-stellar sample.
Can't afford right now but I sure will be upgrading later this year if I can.

Thanks Will let you know what comes up.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
You can always back off the OC. I did that with an i7 875K after 3y and at 8y it was still going strong.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
If your case has an opening behind the CPU wide enough to probe an inductor lead, you can easily rule out misbehaving software...

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Well Quick Update since I made this post the voltages have being back to normal with Zero Issues going on. No idea what was causing the issue to start with but it seems to have sorted itself out on its own.

Thanks guys

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Glad to hear it. You may wish to run a non-AVX benchmark every now and then to make sure the issues don't crop up again. Undervolting in general might not be a bad idea to take the stress off aging VRMs.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Glad to hear it. You may wish to run a non-AVX benchmark every now and then to make sure the issues don't crop up again. Undervolting in general might not be a bad idea to take the stress off aging VRMs.
Did I speak too soon? No idea what the heck is going on but this morning I started my PC and 2 times I got BSOD on Boot up. Had to disable XMP and that seems to fix the issue. So odd. Never know what to expect with Computers I guess.