Alabama passed a near-total abortion ban with no exceptions for rape or incest

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
They're in such need of asylum they can travel freely in wide open spaces in widely publicized caravans... must be great danger they face in their home countries.
They face persecution in the home country, not everywhere. Have you met Google yet? You can find stuff other than YouTube videos, you know...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
lol, all of you Alabamans are now property of the state. You fucking ignorant dipshits that supported these shits.

There are plenty of us that didn't vote for these congressmen and senators. Even though the representatives for my area voted YES on this bill, I didn't vote for a single one of them. However, just like it is for a Republican in a predominantly blue area, my vote doesn't usually account for much as the Republican usually wins. What's interesting is that Alabama arguably has some interesting issues in regard to representation in its local government. If I remember correctly, the bill passed 25 to 7. Alabama only has about 4.9 million residents, and nearly a million of them are in the Birmingham metro area, which is a predominantly blue area of the state. Around 50% of the people voted for Doug Jones in 2017, and around 40% of the people voted NAY to an anti-abortion amendment. (We'll get to that amendment in a moment.) So, why is it that if we have around 40-50% of the state's (active) voters siding more with liberal politics that there are only 23% of the Alabama Senate seats allocated to Democrats (8 out of 35)?

Now, you express disappointment in Alabama voters, but I think people should've started complaining long before HB314 passed. So, back during the 2018 elections, I posted about the anti-abortion amendment that was on Alabama's 2018 ballot two times (1, 2), and no one really seemed to raise a fuss. However, if you read the text, it's pretty easy to see how its a precursor to what was signed into law just last week. I mean... the writing was on the wall, and now... we're in an even bigger mess. Which is why we should have been complaining this much when the amendment passed six months ago.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
How can you be pro-life and separate small children from their parents?

That is where you took this topic, immigration? Distraction and deflection.

First, we are not legally sanctioning their murder.
Second, a court ordered their separation. That is not policy decision.
Third, the family should be more than welcomed to return to their home.

It is the parent's decision to deal with our immigration policies, or lack thereof.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
They're in such need of asylum they can travel freely in wide open spaces in widely publicized caravans... must be great danger they face in their home countries.

Ever heard the phrase "Strength in numbers" Sparky?

Nah we just put them in cages in an open environment that will practically ensure they die a "natural" death. Nazis didn't kill those Jews in the showers either.. The gas did.

No court ever order they be returned to the gangs that want to sell, rape and murder them. No American court anyway.

See response #1

It is the parent's decision to deal with our immigration policies, or lack thereof.

They did what any loving parent would do. They tried to get their children someplace safe.

Last edited:

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009

Why are you afraid of immigrants?

Also, anti-choice is a movement tied closely to racism and the overarching class war. It cares nothing for anyone, only for a chance to control and make the world "safe" in a way that of course makes it much less safe for everyone.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

The topic is the new Ala law based on the premise of pro life. AFAIK the premise of pro life is all life is precious. The pro life people focus on the fetus calling them children. My take is what about children already born? How are they being treated? Based on how separation effects children for their entire life it violates the tenets of pro life.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/...us-health-problems-for-children/#1d3a06c82d19

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Jan 25, 2011

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Someone square this one out for me.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profil...g-a-fertilized-egg-is-legal-in-a-lab-setting/

Why is this egg any different than the one inside a woman? Other than the fact that the one is controlling the woman how is one life that begins at conception any less valuable than the other?
Republicans completely ignorant of biology. They want personhood and at the same time still have IVF

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Religious ignorance rules, regardless of the sky daddy's name

Attachments

• alabama.jpg
    alabama.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: jackstar7
Feb 4, 2009
If the SCOTUS overturns Roe, will the people of Maine finally fire Susan Collins from her job? After all, she promised that Kavanaugh would not vote to overturn Roe.

As I get older I start to think more and more about this.
I’m all for the SC banning abortions, the house & senate can deal with the fallout. There will be more babies needing care, there will be more babies born with extreme disabilities that will need care and there will be a whole bunch of pissed off Women. I’d guess around 40% of Women.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If the SCOTUS overturns Roe, will the people of Maine finally fire Susan Collins from her job? After all, she promised that Kavanaugh would not vote to overturn Roe.

If SCOTUS overturns Roe I predict a bloodbath in the Senate for Republicans. It would be exactly what the Democrats need to push them over the top to retake it.

And so while the overturn of Roe would be a shameful act that would harm thousands or even millions of women it would have quite a silver lining as that would likely mean a Democratic trifecta in government - they could eliminate the filibuster and go to TOWN. (including even packing the court to re-legalize abortion)

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
As I get older I start to think more and more about this.
I’m all for the SC banning abortions, the house & senate can deal with the fallout. There will be more babies needing care, there will be more babies born with extreme disabilities that will need care and there will be a whole bunch of pissed off Women. I’d guess around 40% of Women.

I'm not a fan of living in the past, yet conservatives seem to be. abortions happened prior to roe v. wade, abortions will happen if it's overturned. the progress that's been made since roe v. wade should not go discounted or overlooked entirely. Although, if roe v wade is overturned, the political mayhem wrought upon R's would be delicious.

Edit: see post above mine, lol.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm not a fan of living in the past, yet conservatives seem to be. abortions happened prior to roe v. wade, abortions will happen if it's overturned. the progress that's been made since roe v. wade should not go discounted or overlooked entirely. Although, if roe v wade is overturned, the political mayhem wrought upon R's would be delicious.

Edit: see post above mine, lol.

Exactly fsky explained better but his thoughts are a good summary of mine.
Tired of all the court fighting it has been going on far too long. Have congress write legislation that settles the matter one way or another.

Reactions: Jaskalas

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Well off women (and mistresses of republican men) would still be able to travel to get them. It's just poor women (who they don't give a fuck about) that would be maimed and killed.

Funny how it's okay to regulate women's genitals, but not men's guns.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
If SCOTUS overturns Roe I predict a bloodbath in the Senate for Republicans. It would be exactly what the Democrats need to push them over the top to retake it.

And so while the overturn of Roe would be a shameful act that would harm thousands or even millions of women it would have quite a silver lining as that would likely mean a Democratic trifecta in government - they could eliminate the filibuster and go to TOWN. (including even packing the court to re-legalize abortion)

I certainly hope this rosy prediction turns out to be correct. There's certainly broad support for not overturning Roe so that is good.

71% nationally, 52% of republicans. That last one surprises me.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I certainly hope this rosy prediction turns out to be correct. There's certainly broad support for not overturning Roe so that is good.

Boomers are getting older. That's my personal opinion of the numbers. So less people alive that cared about the ruling almost 50 years ago.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Boomers are getting older. That's my personal opinion of the numbers. So less people alive that cared about the ruling almost 50 years ago.

Also why laws are changing wrt gay marriage. Old conservatives are hanging onto this issue by the tips of their fingernails, but they'll eventually fall.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Also why laws are changing wrt gay marriage. Old conservatives are hanging onto this issue by the tips of their fingernails, but they'll eventually fall.

some mood setting music, let me get my fainting couch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amused

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

once the broken boomer brain is gone we can hopefully fix everything. I say hopefully because gen x seems to be just as crazy. We need to get past the generations that didnt grow up with infinite information at their fingertips. They cant handle its power.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Those are the socially moderate fiscally "conservative" Republicans, lol. The ones that are perfectly happy to align themselves with evangelicals if it means slightly lower tax rates for themselves and deficits be damned.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
once the broken boomer brain is gone we can hopefully fix everything. I say hopefully because gen x seems to be just as crazy. We need to get past the generations that didnt grow up with infinite information at their fingertips. They cant handle its power.
You and your boomer complex.