Alabama Concealed Carry But Hold the Dildo

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Yahoo
The Alabama House voted against a bill Tuesday that would have removed a ban on sexual devices, such as vibrators, from the state's obscenity law. The ban on sexual devices was added at the last minute when the obscenity law passed the Legislature in 1998.

A federal district judge in Birmingham has twice ruled that the ban is unconstitutional. The first ruling was overturned by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals and the second ruling has been appealed to the appeals court.

The sponsor of the bill, Rep. John Rogers, D-Birmingham, said because of the court ruling, the obscenity law is unenforceable as long as it contains the ban on sex toys.

"All this does is make our obscenity law constitutional," Rogers said.

I would say . . . "well isn't this surprising" . . . but it's 'Bama.

Go Bama, Roll Tide.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Yahoo
The Alabama House voted against a bill Tuesday that would have removed a ban on sexual devices, such as vibrators, from the state's obscenity law. The ban on sexual devices was added at the last minute when the obscenity law passed the Legislature in 1998.

A federal district judge in Birmingham has twice ruled that the ban is unconstitutional. The first ruling was overturned by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals and the second ruling has been appealed to the appeals court.

The sponsor of the bill, Rep. John Rogers, D-Birmingham, said because of the court ruling, the obscenity law is unenforceable as long as it contains the ban on sex toys.

"All this does is make our obscenity law constitutional," Rogers said.

I would say . . . "well isn't this surprising" . . . but it's 'Bama.

Go Bama, Roll Tide.

So do I have this right? Under the present law its illegal to own such a sex toy - but you can get a permit to own a gun?

Hope that's not the case!

Andy

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
So do I have this right? Under the present law its illegal to own such a sex toy - but you can get a permit to own a gun?

Hope that's not the case!

Andy

I don't know if it is illegal to own sex toys. I know it is illegal to buy or sell them. If you want to help the people of 'bama work out their frustrations I imagine you could set up a stand outside the Lege and give away cucumbers and bananas marked . . . "sex toy for the legally impaired".

I wonder if this is all "toy envy" . . . even a meager 6" jelly might be beyond the standard specifications of the typical AL legislator.
:D

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
There is or used to be a similar law in GA. I recall seeing news stories a few years back where cops would occasionally raid adult shops here in town and cart away all the dildos and other "obscene" material. Completely absurd.
rolleye.gif