Al Qaeda-linked website backs McCain for President

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Corbett
Dari, you've sunk to a new low. If you want we can pull up all the shady groups and leaders around the world that want Obama to become president.

Coming from you, it's difficult to take seriously. If Al Qaeda had supported Obama you'd be all over it.

We've heard plenty of terrorist groups and shady leaders supporting Obama already and I haven't "been all over it".

You might not have been but others sure have. ;)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Look at their records, why would a terrorist pick McCain over Obama?
Because McCain is old and near the end of his life and his running mate is a moron that they'd be able to take advantage of very easily if McCain should kick the bucket.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: retrospooty
And in other news the leader of the Iranian Parliament prefers Obama.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articl...7340,L-3611840,00.html

Perhaps this AQ thing is a ploy to get people to vote for Obama. Look at their records, why would a terrorist pick McCain over Obama?

Obama plans to go after Bin Laden... McCain does not. - duh
Like we haven't been going after Bin Laden for the past 7 years???

Give me a break if you believe that.
Bush's approval numbers would jump overnight if he got Osama.

The idea that Obama's big talk is going to make a difference is laughable.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
1. Like we haven't been going after Bin Laden for the past 7 years???

2. Give me a break if you believe that.

3. The idea that Obama's big talk is going to make a difference is laughable.

1. Apparently not. GWB said as much.

2. No, they wouldn't. It would be an empty 'victory'.

3. At least he says he would pursue him. GWB waived the white flag of surrender.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I think this may be one of the endorsement McCain has been hoping and praying for.
-snip-

"Endorsement"?

He says if there is an attack (or not), the election of McCain will lead to the destruction of the USA via a continued war with AQ.

I'd hardly call that an "endorsement". I see it more as a threat or warning.

BTW: the guy doesn't represent AQ, nor is supposedly aware of their plans etc.

Haafid is not believed to have a direct affiliation with al-Qaida plans or knowledge of its operations, according to SITE.

Fern

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
And in other news the leader of the Iranian Parliament prefers Obama.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articl...7340,L-3611840,00.html

Perhaps this AQ thing is a ploy to get people to vote for Obama. Look at their records, why would a terrorist pick McCain over Obama?

Obama plans to go after Bin Laden... McCain does not. - duh
Like we haven't been going after Bin Laden for the past 7 years???

Give me a break if you believe that.

The idea that Obama's big talk is going to make a difference is laughable.

No we havent...

At first, Bush promised that any country harboring the terrorists responsible for 9/11, either willingly, or unwillingly, have a choice . They will help us, or they will be considered an enemy. I TOTALLY agree with Bush on that. I stood up and cheered for him when he said it.

Then, he went in to Afganistan - so far so good. Yay for Bush... then Bin Laden escaped into Pakistan and Bush totally backtracked on his previous stance. Suddenly we dont want to offend pakistan. McCain supports the same policies and wants to do nothing, and Obama wants to go in and get the mofo.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Fern
I think this may be one of the endorsement McCain has been hoping and praying for.
-snip-

"Endorsement"?

He says if there is an attack (or not), the election of McCain will lead to the destruction of the USA via a continued war with AQ.

I'd hardly call that an "endorsement". I see it more as a threat or warning.

BTW: the guy doesn't represent AQ, nor is supposedly aware of their plans etc.

Haafid is not believed to have a direct affiliation with al-Qaida plans or knowledge of its operations, according to SITE.

Fern

Al Qaeda has a licensing agreement with many terrorist organizations around the world.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Personally, I don't think this is releveant. John McCain however, does. He mentioned Hamas saying it thought the world would be better off with an Obama presidency when he went on The Daily Show, and when given a chance to backpedal, once again, doubled down.

http://politicalticker.blogs.c...-defends-his-bearings/

NEWARK, New Jersey (CNN) ? John McCain on Friday defended his charge that the terrorist organization Hamas is rooting for Barack Obama to win the presidency ? and said voters were welcome to discuss whether his age should be a factor in the fall campaign.

A Hamas official told an interviewer last month that the group approved of Obama's candidacy. Friday, McCain said the group's opinion is relevant ? despite Obama's characterization of that opinion as a ?smear.?

?It's very obvious to everyone that Senator Obama shares nothing of the values or goals of Hamas, which is a terrorist organization,? McCain said. ?But it's also fact that a spokesperson from Hamas said that he approves of Obama's candidacy. I think that's of interest to the American people.?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
... then Bin Laden escaped into Pakistan and Bush totally backtracked on his previous stance. Suddenly we dont want to offend pakistan. McCain supports the same policies and wants to do nothing, and Obama wants to go in and get the mofo.

You do realize that we have had recent incursions (under GWB) into Pakistan taking out AQ/Taliban leaders there?

Fern

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Then, he went in to Afganistan - so far so good. Yay for Bush... then Bin Laden escaped into Pakistan and Bush totally backtracked on his previous stance. Suddenly we dont want to offend pakistan. McCain supports the same policies and wants to do nothing, and Obama wants to go in and get the mofo.
So you are saying we should invade Pakistan??

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

I think SpecOps missions into Pakistan are just the right thing. Full invasion makes no sense, when you weigh the costs and pros/cons.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Here's what I don't get... The McCain campaign said that AQ endorsed McCain because they want him to lose. That's not what they did- They had private conversations in Arabic about how McCain would be a better president for them and that an attack on the US would help him win.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Here's what I don't get... The McCain campaign said that AQ endorsed McCain because they want him to lose.

He claims Al Qaeda is using reverse psychology, but only in regard to him. When Hamas "endorses" Obama, in that case they really mean it.

The reason you "don't get it" is because it doesn't make any sense.

I'm still waiting for Palin to slip up during a speech and say "Well we got Joe the Plumber and Tito the Builder and Karina the Nurse and Obama the Terrorist."

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002

Invade? No,

Send in strike forces when an AQ base if found, yes. I know we have done a few of these lately, but should have been doing all along.

We invaded Afganistan to get Al Qaeda... We invaded Iraq, and they werent even involved with 9/11.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
GWB was exactly the sort of President Al Qaeda needed in order to recruit and grow their organization and cause. It's pretty clear that McCain would be a continuation of GWB's policies in the Mideast-or even worse, remember that even GWB accepts the concept of timetables in Iraq now, McCain is the only holdout.

It is also quite conceivable that election of Obama could led the masses around the world to look at the US in a different, more favorable light. The exact same thing happened with Kennedy-there were pictures of JFK ripped from magazines in poor people's huts all around the world back then. That would also be bad for Al Qaeda's growth.

So yes it is quite conceivable that a McCain election is good for Al Qaeda. But their endorsement isn't going to make that happen. Hopefully our government is on full alert for another attack before the election.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
OK guys, I suggest you knock it off immediately or you'll both be spending the next two weeks elsewhere

Anandtech Senior Moderator
Red Dawn

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
OK guys, I suggest you knock it off immediately or you'll both be spending the next two weeks elsewhere

Anandtech Senior Moderator
Red Dawn