Al Qaeda-linked website backs McCain for President

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I think this may be one of the endorsement McCain has been hoping and praying for. Maybe it'll give him the boost he needs from the fundamentalists.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...al_qaida_us_election_2

Update:
McCain campaign holds strange campaign to talk about Al Qaeda's endorsement. They then proceed to put insert foot into mouth.
http://washingtonindependent.c...-preference-for-mccain

WASHINGTON ? Al-Qaida supporters suggested in a Web site message this week they would welcome a pre-election terror attack on the U.S. as a way to usher in a McCain presidency.

The message, posted Monday on the password-protected al-Hesbah Web site, said if al-Qaida wants to exhaust the United States militarily and economically, "impetuous" Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain is the better choice because he is more likely to continue the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"This requires presence of an impetuous American leader such as McCain, who pledged to continue the war till the last American soldier," the message said. "Then, al-Qaida will have to support McCain in the coming elections so that he continues the failing march of his predecessor, Bush."

SITE Intelligence Group, based in Bethesda, Md., monitors the Web site and translated the message.

"If al-Qaida carries out a big operation against American interests," the message said, "this act will be support of McCain because it will push the Americans deliberately to vote for McCain so that he takes revenge for them against al-Qaida. Al-Qaida then will succeed in exhausting America till its last year in it."

Mark Salter, a senior McCain adviser, said he had heard about the Web site chatter but had no immediate comment.

The message is credited to a frequent and apparently respected contributor named Muhammad Haafid. However, Haafid is not believed to have a direct affiliation with al-Qaida plans or knowledge of its operations, according to SITE.

SITE senior analyst Adam Raisman said this message caught SITE's attention because there has been little other chatter on the forums about the U.S. election.

SITE was struck by the message's detailed analysis ? and apparent jubilation ? about American financial woes.

"What we try to do is get the pulse of the jihadist community," Raisman said. "And it's about the financial crisis."

Al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden issued a videotape just four days before the 2004 U.S. presidential election directly addressing the American people.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Clearly Bin Laden wants a McCain presidency. However, he doesn't even need to do a terrorist act.
If he just endorses Obama it will swing the election to McCain.
I'm also interested to know when Bin Laden will come out for California Proposition 8

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
So a vote for McCain is a vote for al-Qaida? Seriously though, why should we let terrorist groups influence our election? IMO this al-Qaida 'support' of McCain is no different than Hamas allegedly supporting Obama. It's garbage.

AS far as the Bin Laden video, wasn't the middle east - and the rest of the world for that matter - disappointed to learn of GWB's re-election in '04?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I don't believe bin laden is even alive. There is in fact no corroborating proof whatsoever in YEARS that he is alive, is there? All his videos are very generic and lack specifics.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Dari, you've sunk to a new low. If you want we can pull up all the shady groups and leaders around the world that want Obama to become president.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Corbett
Dari, you've sunk to a new low. If you want we can pull up all the shady groups and leaders around the world that want Obama to become president.
Leaders like from most of the rest of the free world? hehe

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I don't believe bin laden is even alive. There is in fact no corroborating proof whatsoever in YEARS that he is alive, is there? All his videos are very generic and lack specifics.

Does it matter? He may be 'the face of Al Qaida', but can as easily be replaced as Bush can be replaced by McCain. The face changes, but the ideals and (terrorist) acts do not. As long as there is no confirmation of his death he is a powerful figure, whether or not he is still alive. Even the possibility of him still being alive and well (and more important still free to do whatever he wants) is a clear sign Bush was wrong to attack Iraq rather than to hunt down Bin Laden in Pakistan. And that strengthens Al Qaida and weakens the US government in the eyes of many.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Leaders like from most of the rest of the free world? hehe

He means anyone not believing in destroying the US in order to enrich a few Republicans.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Your team already has multiple times in mailers and robo calls.

So get off your fucking horse already, can't take your own drivel shot back at you?

Sack up already.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Coming from you, it's difficult to take seriously. If Al Qaeda had supported Obama you'd be all over it.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1

Does it matter? He may be 'the face of Al Qaida', but can as easily be replaced as Bush can be replaced by McCain. The face changes, but the ideals and (terrorist) acts do not. As long as there is no confirmation of his death he is a powerful figure, whether or not he is still alive. Even the possibility of him still being alive and well (and more important still free to do whatever he wants) is a clear sign Bush was wrong to attack Iraq rather than to hunt down Bin Laden in Pakistan. And that strengthens Al Qaida and weakens the US government in the eyes of many.

Correct. Bush has managed to take Al Qaeda from just being a terrorist organization to being an ideology.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Al Zawahiri is the more dangerous one, Ossama Bin Laden is just the front man.

Indeed. And if he somehow dies they can just brush it off as he is still 'the number two of Al Qaida', if he doesn't they can at some point announce he has taken over after Bin Laden died 'of natural causes'. No matter whether OBL was already dead or not, Bush managed to give AQ a new face, while keeping the old one in place when needed.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Maybe they are baiting McCain... " I will follow Bin Laden to the gates of hell"... Yes, maybe but apparently he wont follow him to the isolated mountains of Pakistan

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Dari

Coming from you, it's difficult to take seriously. If Al Qaeda had supported Obama you'd be all over it.

We've heard plenty of terrorist groups and shady leaders supporting Obama already and I haven't "been all over it".

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

We've heard plenty of terrorist groups and shady leaders supporting Obama already and I haven't "been all over it".

Well, last time I checked we weren't fighting multiple wars on multiple fronts against them now were we? Last time I checked these "terrorist groups and shady leaders" didn't kill thousands of Americans on American soil did they? But keep spewing your fake outrage at this thread.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

Well, last time I checked we weren't fighting multiple wars on multiple fronts against them now were we? Last time I checked these "terrorist groups and shady leaders" didn't kill thousands of Americans on American soil did they? But keep spewing your fake outrage at this thread.

If you are actually worried about Al Qaeda why do you help to spread their propaganda?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: nobodyknows

If you are actually worried about Al Qaeda why do you help to spread their propaganda?

Who the fuck are you- the Moron from Nowhere? What AQ propaganda do you see me spreading?

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007

Who the fuck are you- the Moron from Nowhere? What AQ propaganda do you see me spreading?

Watch out dari! He's got us pinned! *TERRORIST SQUAD, RETREAT!*

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I think what this demonstrates, is that al Qaeda was impressed by McCain's "100 years (in Iraq)" comment. They see McCain as a continuation of Bush. They see him as a candidate that can help them recruit and increase donations.

Conversely, Obama is a huge let-down for al Qaeda. He'd leave them with nothing to jihad against, and what could be worse for a bunch of jihadists?

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

LOL, hit a nerve???

Nice personal attack BTW.

Please, spare me YOUR fake outrage.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

LOL, hit a nerve???

No outrage here. If you can't take a little hit, then you're too much of a pussy to hang around here.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

LOL, hit a nerve???

No outrage here. If you can't take a little hit, then you're too much of a pussy to hang around here.

LOL, more name calling???