AL: Pregnant Woman Shot Charged With Manslaughter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
The ones on blocks in the front yard?
Hey! I was gonna fix that up one day!

/s

On a more serious note, we really do top notch work manufacturing autos down here. In fact, many of those listed companies are expanding their factories down here.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Looks like the unindented consequences of declaring a fetus with personhood. Same as stand your ground laws. Except to see similiar ridiculousness in the future.
This. Deep red states like mine never miss an opportunity to punish women. It is quite literally dangerous to be pregnant down here. With today's SCOTUS ruling on gerrymandering, expect the situation to get much worse the next time maps are redrawn.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Just out of curiosity...would any of you find these charges to be acceptable if the baby were a newborn, in her arms, while she initiated a fight and kept pressing until her victim defended with a gun?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Just out of curiosity...would any of you find these charges to be acceptable if the baby were a newborn, in her arms, while she initiated a fight and kept pressing until her victim defended with a gun?

No.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Prosecuors had it right the first time when they charged the shooter, except the grand jury wouldn't indict. But they have to blame somebody for the death of the fetus so they blame the mother who was herself one of the shooting victims. Being shot & losing her baby is obviously insufficient punishment in AL.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Felony murder rule
The concept of felony murder originates in the rule of transferred intent, which is older than the limit of legal memory. In its original form, the malicious intent inherent in the commission of any crime, however trivial, was considered to apply to any consequences of that crime, however unintended.

This is what is being applied in this case. It would certainly apply to your scenario.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
This is what is being applied in this case. It would certainly apply to your scenario.

Self defense never allows me to harm an innocent. If me defending myself would cause harm to an innocent I do not have the right to defend myself. Otherwise the innocent in this case could defend themselves against me, and we could end up in a recursive loop.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Prosecuors had it right the first time when they charged the shooter, except the grand jury wouldn't indict. But they have to blame somebody for the death of the fetus so they blame the mother who was herself one of the shooting victims. Being shot & losing her baby is obviously insufficient punishment in AL.
How dare they look to punish the attacker. The nerve of those sexists.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Self defense never allows me to harm an innocent. If me defending myself would cause harm to an innocent I do not have the right to defend myself. Otherwise the innocent in this case could defend themselves against me, and we could end up in a recursive loop.

You can very well twist yourself into knots if you'd like, but it is common law for the aggressor to be responsible / guilty.