Al Jezeera America news channel debuts today

Will you give new news channel a try if available?

• I'd try it

• No way, they are mooslim!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I hardly watch tv at all, let alone news on tv.

But I suppose if I did, I would not watch Al Jazeera.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
OP, recommend you change "No way, they are mooslim!" to a simple "No".

I will not be watching but not because they are "mooslim". I personally tend to avoid watching the news regardless of who is reporting it.

The world has changed so much in the last 30 years ... and not necessarily for the better.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Cable news is a pile of cow manure. I doubt this one will change that opinion.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
This TV network is just a giant mouthpiece of Quatar s political dictator ,
credibility is about zero unless you look only for weather reports...

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Heck I check in on Bill O'Riley to see what he is spouting. I also fast forward though Chris Matthews everyday. I read NYT and Fox News to balance. Al Jezeera is just another viewpoint in our search for the Truth.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Heck I check in on Bill O'Riley to see what he is spouting. I also fast forward though Chris Matthews everyday. I read NYT and Fox News to balance. Al Jezeera is just another viewpoint in our search for the Truth.

Edit: Nevermind.

boochi

May 21, 2011
Who is going to carry it and how many people will drop their cable or satellite service if they do?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Who is going to carry it and how many people will drop their cable or satellite service if they do?

Only incredibly stupid people would drop their cable service, so I guess to find out that answer you have to ask yourself how many morons there are out there.

There should probably be a poll option for no, not because they are dirty Muslims, but because cable news in general is worthless.

boochi

May 21, 2011
Only incredibly stupid people would drop their cable service, so I guess to find out that answer you have to ask yourself how many morons there are out there.

There should probably be a poll option for no, not because they are dirty Muslims, but because cable news in general is worthless.

I don't think so. Some people have access to up to 4 television providers (DirecTV, Dish, Cable, Telco). If you have that many choices and want your voice to be heard, it would not be "stupid" to voice it by making a switch.

Stop hanging from Al Gore's nut sack.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't think so. Some people have access to up to 4 television providers (DirecTV, Dish, Cable, Telco). If you have that many choices and want your voice to be heard, it would not be "stupid" to voice it by making a switch.

Stop hanging from Al Gore's nut sack.

It would be stupid to change service providers based on whether they carry Al Jazeera. Period.

Use your brain.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
When is Intel's TV thingie supposed to come out that allows you to pick and choose channels?

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I watched some last night. Didn't seem any different than anything else, except it wasn't in High Def.

But they were babbling about something I wasn't interested in at the time. I'll check it out again. I personally like BBC the best at the moment.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I would try it if I had cable. It will be interesting to see what the format is and if it changes over time. The Al Jazeera English live stream was excellent, but it was definitely too much news and not enough razzle-dazzle for US viewers.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There's no simple "no" answer in the poll, OP fails at polls. I won't watch al jazeera, but not because they are "mooslim". There are plenty of lousy news services already, we don't need any more.

Apr 27, 2012
Love the Muslim baiting by the OP!

No I won't watch this becuase it's just going to be biased and serve the special interests of Qatar.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
" August 22, 2013 4:00 AM
Al Jazeera America’s Debut "

Al Jazeera America launched its much-ballyhooed channel Tuesday, providing a mix of unoriginal stories, uninspired reporting, and anti-American bias. Despite the earlier stories in nearly every major news outlet in which AJAM promised a different approach to the news, its debut, simply put, was dreadful.

The only real news AJAM made was filing a lawsuit against AT&T, which decided not to run the channel on its U-verse cable system. The channel is offered, however, on Comcast, Verizon, FiOS, DirecTV, and Dish Network, and on its first day it reached an estimated 48 million households, or less than half the viewership other 24/7 news operations have.

AJAM launched its first “live” programming at 3 p.m. EDT, with a taped promotional video touting its worldview. Hosts Antonio Mora and Richelle Carey recited the AJAM mantra that the channel plans to focus on hard news and “real stories about real people.” The video included former secretary of state Hillary Clinton and Senator John McCain lauding coverage by AJAM’s predecessor, Al Jazeera English, which ironically was switched off in the United States to allow AJAM to broadcast. The video also jabbed Fox News, the leading 24/7 cable channel, with a clip of a shouting match on The O’Reilly Factor.

I didn’t think it could get worse, but it did. In AJAM’s Nightly News program, anchored by John Seigenthaler, who left NBC News in 2008, AJAM provided little to excite its viewers. As I took notes about the program, I scribbled a variety of expletives, which I cannot repeat here, about the coverage of a hunger strike at a California prison, where the authorities were force-feeding 130 inmates. I remember that the prison meme, along with crime and racial strife, dominated Soviet television coverage of the United States.

And the anti-American undercurrent didn’t stop there. The intrepid AJAM team found Bangladeshi workers in allegedly substandard conditions making pants for Old Navy, which again allegedly ended up in the United States. The broadcaster said proof existed for these claims, such as a pair of pants actually being sold somewhere in the United States. But no footage of the store or the pants was shown. I guess physical proof was hard to come by.

Who cares?

http://nationalreview.com/article/356422/al-jazeera-americas-debut-christopher-harper

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
National Review slimes Al Jazeera?

Maybe Al Jazeera has something honest to say...

If I want to understand what people in the middle east think, should I listen to them or National Review?

Golly gee whiz, maybe that applies to people from any part of the world... or any part of the political spectrum. I mean, when I want to know what right wingers think, I go to National Review, Heritage & Cato.

Shocking, huh?

Apr 27, 2012
National Review slimes Al Jazeera?

Maybe Al Jazeera has something honest to say...

If I want to understand what people in the middle east think, should I listen to them or National Review?

Golly gee whiz, maybe that applies to people from any part of the world... or any part of the political spectrum. I mean, when I want to know what right wingers think, I go to National Review, Heritage & Cato.

Shocking, huh?

CATO isn't right wing but keep spreading more lies.

Al Jazeera is the network that al-qaida likes.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I'd give it a try if I had cable.

Assuming they don't report on the stupid Kim Kardashian/other celebrity bullshit that all other "news" networks spend so much time on nowadays.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
When is Intel's TV thingie supposed to come out that allows you to pick and choose channels?

If Apple can't do it what makes you think somebody with zero experience can?

Besides I don't give a crap about yet more Middle East fighting/chaos/riot/civil war stuff.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
CATO isn't right wing but keep spreading more lies.

Al Jazeera is the network that al-qaida likes.

You are, once again, beyond lame-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cato_Institute

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Cato_Institute/2006_Foundation_Funders

The rest? I figured out your fave "news source"- World Nut Daily!

http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/al-jazeera-is-muslim-brotherhood-channel/

Which is, of course, total bullshit pandering to the weak minded.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You are, once again, beyond lame-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cato_Institute

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Cato_Institute/2006_Foundation_Funders

The rest? I figured out your fave "news source"- World Nut Daily!

http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/al-jazeera-is-muslim-brotherhood-channel/

Which is, of course, total bullshit pandering to the weak minded.
If you are going to quote wikipedia as a source you should at least bother to read it. From the first line of the body:
The Cato Institute is an American libertarian think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C.
Only a complete idiot would-

Sorry, for a moment there I forgot to whom I was responding.

By all means, please watch Al Jazeera. They concentrate on what makes America and the West and capitalism look evil or failing. It'll be right up your alley.