Al Gore's Personal Energy Consumption Up 10%

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Story here.

Well, well. Looks like Mr. Conservation is going to have a little trouble explaining his 10% increase in energy consumption (which was already absurd to begin with) despite all of his remodeling and energy-efficiency improvements.

Perhaps someone needs to tell Al his quota for Carbon Credits just increased. :laugh:

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
I don't get it.. since he's a horrible hypocrite, no one else should bother conserving energy?

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
can I have this 30 seconds of my life back?

He's done more for the environment than everyone on this board put together times 100

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk
I don't get it.. since he's a horrible hypocrite, no one else should bother conserving energy?

I think the message is if you want me to live a life of sacrifice - then lead by example and show me how it is done or stfu.

Originally posted by: NeoV
He's done more for the environment than everyone on this board put together times 100

By lying about ice core charts which disprove his own conclusion? If a preacher is going to preach a message, at least get the obvious facts straight. When CO2 follows temperature by ~500 years you?re in contempt to suggest temperature is caused by the CO2.

Lying does not do any movement justice.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
haha the title of that article is the most misleading thing I've ever read. Why are they comparing his annual usage to the average home's monthly usage?? He's using 19x the average household, not 232.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Uh, no. That's not what they're saying. He uses about 6,500 kilowatts more in a month than the typical American home uses in a year.

We could sit here all night debating percentages and fractions and actual kWh figures but the point has already been stated.

EDIT: Perhaps the confusion comes from the title summary of the article. They're saying that his total energy usage in a year would power 232 average American homes for one month. I can see how folks get confused over the wording but that is accurate. Does it really sound better if they say Gore's excessive energy consumption could power 19 average American homes ALL YEAR LONG?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Actually this is just propaganda.
Al Gore already explained that he uses his home as his office and does filming and interviews there. He did a major green renovation which reduced the electric consumption to what it is now.
It is unfair to compare a small film studios electric use to that of the average homeowner.

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk

I think the message is if you want me to live a life of sacrifice - then lead by example and show me how it is done or stfu.

That's stupid. The point is to conserve because it is worth doing of its own, not because your favorite celebrity does it or doesn't do it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
IF AL GORE USES A 100 WATT LIGHTBULB WHEN HE COULD USE A 60 WATT ONE THAT MEANS GLOBAL WARMING ISN'T REAL.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
It's already been established that he uses his home for his and his wife's work, some of which involves video studios.

Another epic Pabsterfail.

:thumbsdown:

Oh, right...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: feralkid
It's already been established that he uses his home for his and his wife's work, some of which involves video studios.

As do many other folks. Fortunately, they don't all feel the need to consume 17,000 kWh while doing it.

Are you suggesting the Gore's are living modestly?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Sawyer
LOL@excuse making and side-stepping his hypocrisy

LOL @ people who still give a shit what this man does or doesn't do. If his hate club didn't bring him up so much, he would fade away into obscurity eventually.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
can I have this 30 seconds of my life back?

Actually, he has dont more damage to the environment in one year than 232 people on this board have in 1 month. Read the article.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy
IF AL GORE USES A 100 WATT LIGHTBULB WHEN HE COULD USE A 60 WATT ONE THAT MEANS GLOBAL WARMING ISN'T REAL.

No, its means he is a hypocrite.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
He did a major green renovation which reduced the electric consumption to what it is now.

Then how do you explain his energy consumptions has gone UP 10%?

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Corbett - get a clue

If he gets, literally, the entire planet talking about global warming, then I really don't care how much energy he uses on his own.

You can't compare his house, which, as it has already been stated, is also an office, to the homes that you and I live in, in terms of energy consumption...compare the energy use of that building to comparably sized office buildings for an apples to apples comparison.

Pabster - lying about ice cores? You've been reading too many "anti GW bullet points" that unfortunately for you aren't based on facts either. Let me guess, you are using a reference like www.greatglobalwarmingswindle.com?

Try actual science, which shows, in literally dozens of studies, that there is a CLEAR correlation between temperatures and carbon dioxide levels.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.g...tology_evidence_2.html

I'll ask the question for the 10th time, and not expect an answer again - if Newt Gingrich had made "An Inconvenient Truth", would Global warming be the partisan issue that it is today, instead of being something that is clearly in the best interests of everyone to understand?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Corbett

Face it, short of him living in a cave and walking barefoot everywhere he went carrying around a fart bag.. he'd be a hypocrite to you.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Originally posted by: Corbett

Face it, short of him living in a cave and walking barefoot everywhere he went carrying around a fart bag.. he'd be a hypocrite to you.

Not at all. But him going around the globe using his "fart bag" aka, mouth, to spout off about how WE should cut back on our consumption, and then he turns around and RAISES his consumption b 10% is DEFINITELY worthy of being called hypocritical

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Corbett - get a clue {indeed}

I'll ask the question for the 10th time, and not expect an answer again - if Newt Gingrich had made "An Inconvenient Truth", would Global warming be the partisan issue that it is today, instead of being something that is clearly in the best interests of everyone to understand?

Better yet, had Dan Quayle made the movie, would democrats/liberals hate his f'ing guts this much?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Corbett - get a clue

If he gets, literally, the entire planet talking about global warming, then I really don't care how much energy he uses on his own.

And if an Evangelical Pastor were to say, I dont know, have an extra-marital affair with a gay man, I'm assuming it wouldn't matter either since he was doing good by spreading the "Gospel"?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If he gets, literally, the entire planet talking about rape, then I really don't care how many women he assaults.

See how silly that sounds when applied elsewhere? Raising awareness is not a defense.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: BoberFett
If he gets, literally, the entire planet talking about rape, then I really don't care how many women he assaults.

See how silly that sounds when applied elsewhere? Raising awareness is not a defense.

Yes it is, that example just sucks.