Al Franken & Norm Coleman within 65 of votes of each other

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
While the most famous close race historically was Bush v. Gore in Florida, which I think Bush won by 537 votes, this particular Senate race is the closest I've seen at least since then and perhaps one of the closest you'll ever see. I remember seeing one election, I believe a Southern state for a House seat, that was won by 300 votes in 06. This one was consistently a 2000-3000 vote difference up until a few minutes ago, with Franken now leading by 65 votes with 4% of precincts to go! Pretty crazy that this might come down to a few families in Minnesota.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/20...esults/main.results/#S

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I think Franken can be pretty funny. Besides getting 60 votes, I'd like to see him make jokes in the senate.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Now it's a 1,324 difference, but it's still extraordinarily close knowing that 2.3M people have voted.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: ScottMac
AP called it for Coleman this morning.

Have they counted the absentee ballots yet?

My understanding is that the way we do in here in MN is that the absentee ballots are counted together with the regular ballots at each polling place before each district is called. I believe they have already been factored in.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: ScottMac
AP called it for Coleman this morning.

AP is premature. Not only are there ballots left to count, but in MN, a vote this close will result in an automatic recount. Some news organizations are calling it, but some are not.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Just back from yahoo news where they have it Coleman by 762 votes with all but one precinct reporting. By State law, an election this close get an automatic recount, so we will probably not know the final outcome for weeks. The third parties took darn near 16% of the vote leaving Frankin and Coleman basically 42 % each.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Yep this close will set off a auto-recount.

But I still believe Coleman will win not because MN choose/want him, but so many split their vote between Franken and the 3rd party guy.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

But I still believe Coleman will win not because MN choose/want him, but so many split their vote between Franken and the 3rd party guy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to yahoo news, Barkley hurt Coleman and Frankin about equally.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Forced recount. Sending franken to DC embrasses me as a Minnesotan. Imagine your state sending sean hannity or rush limbaugh as your senator? A bomb throwing a hole as your representative? Then tack on this ridiculous tax amendment and I this is the first time I am seriously questioning the sanity of my fellow citizens.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I think barkley split the vote. Typically 3rd party candidates, especially in MN, seem to hurt republicans more. But this time it appears he took from both.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Genx87
Forced recount. Sending franken to DC embrasses me as a Minnesotan. Imagine your state sending sean hannity or rush limbaugh as your senator? A bomb throwing a hole as your representative? Then tack on this ridiculous tax amendment and I this is the first time I am seriously questioning the sanity of my fellow citizens.

Eight years of Bush and Franken voter have you questioning. You're hilarious.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I wonder how many provisional ballots there were. Surely they have not been counted.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Eight years of Bush and Franken voter have you questioning. You're hilarious.

MN didnt vote Bush in 2000 or 2004.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Norm Coleman is at least as big an embarrassment. I like Franken's books, and while I don't think he'd be a good Senator, the idea that Coleman is a better choice is kind of silly. The bigger embarrassment is that these two were the best Minnesota could put forward.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

I think barkley split the vote. Typically 3rd party candidates, especially in MN, seem to hurt republicans more. But this time it appears he took from both.

Most polls I saw showed more anti-coleman people voting for the 3rd party. Being that this race looks like it will come down to less then 1000 votes that is mroe then enough to swing it one way or another.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Frankin is already concentrating on voting irregularities in a few counties, but in a race this close, any hankie pankie on either side is likely to get exposed in any recounts.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Franken's a democrat. This will be locked up in the courts through the end of the year.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Honestly, as a Democrat, I am afraid Franken will be a distraction from the Democrat Agenda, and a figurehead for the right to bash.
So I don't really care if MN sends Coleman to Senate. Maybe get Prince to run against him next time...

MonkeyK

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Look at his positions (willing to do UHC, fix and keep SS, legalize gay marriage) and you will see that Barkley took far more from Franken than Coleman.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: senseamp
Honestly, as a Democrat, I am afraid Franken will be a distraction from the Democrat Agenda, and a figurehead for the right to bash.
So I don't really care if MN sends Coleman to Senate. Maybe get Prince to run against him next time...

lol