Akfheapohfeoahfdlkhc xlayfo e you gotta be kidding me!!!! *UPDATE* usda loan thread

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
***Update****

So the story has become much more interesting..... and frustrating. I reached out to my original lender and had her take a look at everything for me. She gave me a GFE for a conventional loan and the costs were lower and they were prepaying PMI. But, here's the best part, she said we qualify for USDA. I'm like, wtf? So I asked her to double check, we sent in all our pay stubs etc... and they say we qualify for USDA. I told her I needed them to be 100% certain. I convinced her to have her underwriter call me and according to the way its supposed to be calculated (according to her) we qualify. And we EASILY qualify. It's not this $200 over or $100 under.

So now I'm having my realtor check with fannie mae (seller of the home) and see if we can get a 30 day extension on our closing date. USDA loans apparently take 60 days to get done.

The thing is, can I trust them? Why are 2 mortgage companies giving me two completely different answers here? I've tried calling to USDA directly, but can't get anyone on the phone to get a straight answer. I don't really know what to do at this point, but I'm really aggravated that this process is so ridiculous.

Alright, I've had a rough week. I'm going to rant like a mofo for a minute here. This is a good old fashioned rant too, one where spelling mistakes are expected...

/begin rant

The wife and I are buying a house. We are also selling ours. It's been a long process. We finally decided we are going to do a USDA loan. We sent our info to a mortgage banker, they preapproved us and said everything would be good. We find a house, make an offer, do all the fun stuff. 3 weeks ago (about 7 weeks prior to scheduled closing) I am supposed to order an appraisal. But the mortgage guy had hinted that we might be over the income qualifications for our mortgage. So I tell him Im not doing the appraisal until I get an approval on the mortgage, I dont want to waste my money.

We talk everyday for the next 3 weeks, he keeps telling me he'll have an answer tomorrow... over and over. I get no answer and no concrete information. We keep going back and forth. I find out I'm over the income qualification, but the calculated my income wrong. I correct their math and tell them what they do wrong, ok great. We are good. But wait, my wife is on my health insurance. Since she is on my her stupid F'n employer pays her 100 bucks a month as a stipend. Well guess fucking what. That just put us right over the income limitations again. I FINALLY find out today that we don't qualify, we are over by a motherfucking $300 dollars a year. mY wife just got a promotion too. Fuck us right?!? So now I'm scrambling, trying to figure out how the hell I can get her off my insurance, so she can get on her own and the employer stops paying her that fucking money.

I don't think there's a way. I think we are screwed. Not entirely, we can do a conventional mortgage, put more money down and pay PMI. This will literally cost us an extra $2500 a year though, because of the wasted money with PMI. USDA loans don't require PMI. So because I we make $300 too much, we have to spend an additional $2500 a year. Fucking great.

There is one option. Maybe. I can divorce my wife. That counts as a life changing event so I can boot her ass off my insurance and it will allow her ot register for insurance through her employer immediately, which brings us under the income and then we can buy our house!! After we buy our house I think I'll marry her again.

This just F'n sucks. AGHAGHLEIAHGEOAHGOEGHAOGEAGUIEIOA;LHL

Last edited:

PenguinPower

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
You could always ask for a pay decrease of $25/mo. Or, may your insurance penalizes smokers...start smoking.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
There is one option. Maybe. I can divorce my wife. That counts as a life changing event so I can boot her ass off my insurance and it will allow her ot register for insurance through her employer immediately, which brings us under the income and then we can buy our house!! After we buy our house I think I'll marry her again.

Would that be considered fraud?

:hmm:

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
You can't get around pmi by taking a second loan, making the first one worth a lower % of the house?

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
you can also try LPMI: you get rate hit, but no PMI through the length of the loan.

The rate hit is for the length of the loan though, so ultimately it would be worse. At least with PMI you can get rid of it after you reach 20% equity.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
I'm trying to convince my wife to divorce me right now. She doesn't seem to be going for it.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
For a lot of married couples, there is an income tax penalty as compared to what they'd pay if they were both single. You used to be able to divorce at the end of the year so you're single for tax purposes, then remarry. They closed that loophole.

I don't know if it would be fraud or not, but I doubt it. If the rule is you get treated as x if you're not married and you're actually not married, seems like no one could do much.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Brilliant. Get a divorce, buy the house, get a prenup, get married again.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
I'll come over and you can get caught banging me. Don't actually put it in though. I'm not gay.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
in hindsight, she should have waived coverage instead of opting out.. Have her check eith her employer to see if she can waive coverage.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
I don't think there's a way. I think we are screwed. Not entirely, we can do a conventional mortgage, put more money down and pay PMI. This will literally cost us an extra $2500 a year though, because of the wasted money with PMI. USDA loans don't require PMI. So because I we make $300 too much, we have to spend an additional $2500 a year. Fucking great.

Cliffs: "People won't buy things for me because I'm so rich. I hate making so much money!"

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Cliffs: "People won't buy things for me because I'm so rich. I hate making so much money!"

Never asked for anyone to buy anything for me. Just trying to avoid bullshit PMI and paying into a banks coffers even more than we already do. I'm not rich either.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Never asked for anyone to buy anything for me. Just trying to avoid bullshit PMI and paying into a banks coffers even more than we already do. I'm not rich either.

Anyone else see the issue with this: If you make less money, you don't have to worry about PMI (which is insurance against not making mortgage payments). But if you make more than enough money you have to have insurance. Is Cuda and I the only ones who think this is assbackwards?

Edit: Also what the hell is the USDA doing in the mortgage business? Are you buying farmland?

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
just be happy you didnt have to walk away from your mortgage. If you could contribute to a H&B fund pretax the world would be a better place...

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Anyone else see the issue with this: If you make less money, you don't have to worry about PMI (which is insurance against not making mortgage payments). But if you make more than enough money you have to have insurance. Is Cuda and I the only ones who think this is assbackwards?

Edit: Also what the hell is the USDA doing in the mortgage business? Are you buying farmland?

You think that's bad. Well let me throw you another curveball. Initially they were worried I didn't make enough to qualify for the loan at all. The reason? A good portion of my income is commission. I've only been with my employer for 21 months now, not the 24 they wanted. So they didn't count ANY of my commission when seeing if I made enough to qualify for the loan. But the USDA counts ALL of my commission when deciding whether or not I make to much.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
How much are you planning on putting down for your loan? Doesn't PMI go away after you've covered 20% of your loan? I was told if i didn't put down 20% i'd have to get PMI but it would automatically be drooped once i've paid 20% into the loan. But i didn't need it anyway as i put down over 20% on a conventional loan.

The fucking issue i had was with home owners insurance. the place i went with agreed to cover it 2 weeks before closing, the day of closing they come back to me and say we can't do it.... so i had a few hours to find another insurance provide. wound up being twice as much. but i've sense found a better one at less than half their rates.

Good luck on the loan. my suggestion about how to limit your income may be to increase your 401k contributions f you have one. Or IRA. Not sure which income they're looking at. Sadly if i remember right, i think they looked at my income before deductions because i got qualified for well over what i could afford. This was after the bubble burst and the bail outs. So that may not help. You could try the pay decrease, but they may not care unless you have a few pay stubs to show it's steady.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
2 Things -

Can you reduce your income through any donations or deferals (sp)?

2 -

Why would you buy a house without having the 20% + fallback money? What if you get the house and you find problems??

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah, I'm also confused about the USDA being involved. Is this some other USDA? :hmm:

...and doesn't it take a few years to actually get divorced? I'm pretty sure you have to go through a term of separation first--thinking the minimum is actually 1 year?