Question AirJet cooling for Laptop chips!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021

This is so cool. And Qualcomm apparently invested $100 million so it seems legit.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Which is marketing nonsense. I can reverse a fan and it doesn't "blast out the dust"
Fan motion doesn't really stop the dust collecting on heatsink fins in the first place given build up seems inevitable in all fan based systems I have seen.

Part of that I think maybe the fact that most fans cannot overcome the boundary layer effect preventing airflow from directly affecting the surface of the heatsink - this being one of the chief claims Frore makes their jet impingement generating MEMS arrays (the core of the AirJet product) is capable of.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
The difference is that the AirJet has a gazillion times the pressure of a fan.
All the deeper to suck the dust IN, then once it has deposited, all the more it impedes blowing it OUT. This rate of clogging can of course be mitigated by ample filter area, but that takes up space, and still aligns with the idea of disposable hardware which combined with the marketing about losing performance, seems the best fit for high end phones with huge/heavy batteries to support this higher performance (heat=battery drain).

You might be able to remove the components, use an air compressor and/or ultrasonic bath to clean them, both things that the average computer owner will not do, especially not on a phone or tablet where their advantages make a little sense.

I'm more than happy to stick with a passively cooled phone. Performance is already good enough for most real world uses.

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
“at heart the reality is that cooling technology has not changed in 40+ years”

Sure I remember using a phase change vapor-chamber based heatsink with 6 heat pipes, and quad 140 mm silent brushless pulse-width modulated Noctua fans on my 80286, wasn’t everyone?
The same basic reliance on rotating fans with an electromagnetic motor to spin them for air cooling solutions is probably what they mean even if they are being disingenuous about the heat transfer mechanisms from the processors to the fans.

Still a fundamental flaw in the whole heat pipe paradigm is how little surface area actually comes into contact with the fins they are threaded through.

It feels like if every heat pipe could end in a separate super flat vapor chamber instead of fins then the entire solution could be more efficient.

Jul 27, 2020
So is that approach better than Frore's AirJets?
Possibly. It can scale up to 30W heat dissipation while AirJet is limited to about 5W (would need 6 of them stacked to match). They don't claim to be dustproof like Airjet though.

One important distinction is that venting the heat outside is the responsibility of the laptop OEM with AirJet.

Ventiva also claims to enable thinner, lighter devices whereas AirJet aims to just replace fans in existing form factors.

Reactions: Tlh97
Jul 27, 2020

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
The same basic reliance on rotating fans with an electromagnetic motor to spin them for air cooling solutions is probably what they mean even if they are being disingenuous about the heat transfer mechanisms from the processors to the fans.

Still a fundamental flaw in the whole heat pipe paradigm is how little surface area actually comes into contact with the fins they are threaded through.

It feels like if every heat pipe could end in a separate super flat vapor chamber instead of fins then the entire solution could be more efficient.
Ionic propulsion and jet impingement cooling are tech that has been around a very long time too in aerospace. Just no one ever decided to create cool marketing buzzwords and stick it in a smartphone.

Heat pipes weren’t seeing widespread use in consumer electronics until the mid to late 1990s when they started popping up in laptops. So it’s totally disingenuous to say the tech hasn’t changed. What about AIO liquid cooling which is fairly mainstream now? Sure there were some mainframes that were liquid cooled, but it wasn’t in mainstream market until the 2000s.

And even the argument it’s some different type of physics is flawed - both the AirJet and this Ionic Whatever Engine are both still blowing air. I personally think heat pipes and vapor chambers were a revolutionary advance in thermal design. But anyway I don’t know why I’m so ornery about it, I’m sure some random tech blogger doesn’t know any better, if the article was even written by a human

Reactions: Tlh97

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
My fundamental issue is that the advancements in packaging these technologies and manufacturing methods like MEMS are really exciting on their own. So why do these companies (and to a larger degree is the tech media) always have to mix in the actual advancement with grandiose and clearly false claims? As soon as I read some BS on the marketing it makes me skeptical of the whole thing.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Just no one ever decided to create cool marketing buzzwords and stick it in a smartphone
Create cool marketing buzzwords =/= non sensor type MEMS tech maturity (for AirJet), something that wasn't possible until much more recently for these use cases, as backed up by the recent surge in MEMS speakers also.

I'm plenty dubious about Frore's claims though given both LTT and others have noted AirJet is in fact fairly audible already even in its 1st gen form.

We'll have to see if future iterations can lower the noise, or at least not make it worse while increasing the cooling effect.

My guess would be not - or at least perhaps requiring acoustic metamaterials to mask the noise (something I find a more interesting subject area for PC cooling anyway).

I also remember the IT world being abuzz about ionic cooling years ago, and then it sank without a trace, possibly because it runs too high a risk of static damage to the PCB and silicon.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Heat pipes weren’t seeing widespread use in consumer electronics until the mid to late 1990s when they started popping up in laptops. So it’s totally disingenuous to say the tech hasn’t changed
Not a point I was getting at - I meant the way of producing the airflow hadn't changed much in terms of mainstream use beyond the humble fan.

I do agree heat pipes were definitely a significant change, I even remember my first heat pipe HSF back in the mid 00s.

I heard of 'pulsating heat pipes' as a more hardcore variant of the technology first developed in the 90s - I wonder if they could come into ICT in the next 20 years 🤔

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
Create cool marketing buzzwords =/= non sensor type MEMS tech maturity (for AirJet), something that wasn't possible until much more recently for these use cases, as backed up by the recent surge in MEMS speakers also.

I'm plenty dubious about Frore's claims though given both LTT and others have noted AirJet is in fact fairly audible already even in its 1st gen form.

We'll have to see if future iterations can lower the noise, or at least not make it worse while increasing the cooling effect.

My guess would be not - or at least perhaps requiring acoustic metamaterials to mask the noise (something I find a more interesting subject area for PC cooling anyway).

I also remember the IT world being abuzz about ionic cooling years ago, and then it sank without a trace, possibly because it runs too high a risk of static damage to the PCB and silicon.
At MEMS scale I wonder if they could just push the frequency range up outside of human hearing range. Would be interesting. Don’t worry about your pets going crazy everytime your phone warms up

I haven’t heard a great audio recording of one of those but I imagine most of the noise is from the high velocity air

• Haha
Reactions: soresu