'Air Pelosi': Payback for 5-Day Week?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gcy

Feb 18, 2001
nice spin daveymark
Quote:
"So you admit Tony Snow is not part of the fringe right?
It's a baby step, but a step nonetheless. "

Subject was the smear on the speaker of the house and the reason of the smear.
The republican members of Congress do not want to work 5 day a week while our soldiers are figthing and dying 24/7.
:disgust:

jrenz

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: gcy
I find it outrageous that the republicans in congress, are smearing the speaker of the house because they have to show up 5 days a week instead of 3 days, while our soldiers are fighting and dying 24/7

They have yet to work a 5 day week since Pelosi took over. Funny how that's not really reported on too much.

AgentJean

Banned
Jun 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Why do Legislators need to go home every weekend? Don't most of them have residences in DC or the adjoining areas?

Good question.

I'm sure the representatives from Hawaii and Alaska don't fly home every weekend.

They all should fly commercial on their dime or use one of them private charter services(still on their dime)

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Why do Legislators need to go home every weekend? Don't most of them have residences in DC or the adjoining areas?

I doubt that most of them go home every weekend, just some weekends. They have families, too, who may not want to move to the DC suburbs, and it's important to press the flesh with their constituents on a regular basis, regardless of party affiliation...

As has been pointed out repeatedly, this wasn't Pelosi's request, anyway, and Repubs have nobody to blame but themselves for the backlog of legislation... much of it fiscal, meaning that action is required, not optional...

Any who believe that the new schedule is too demanding are free to resign- every state has a mechanism to replace them... and no lack of qualified job seekers, either...

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AgentJean
They all should fly commercial on their dime or use one of them private charter services(still on their dime)
Since you didn't read my post in either this thread or the other one on the subject, I'll post it for you again:
Pelosi is second in the line of accession to the Presidency, right behind some dickwad who's had four heart attacks and a pacemaker, and whose name keeps coming up in Scooter Libby's trial as a participant in outing Valerie Plame's identity as a covert CIA operative. :shocked:

As was posted in the other thread about this, Federal law since 9-11 mandates that Pelosi must have security when she travels. Non-stop flights are more secure because every takeoff and landing raises an incremental additional risk. The size of the plane necessary for a non-stop transcontinental flight is also a matter of laws... the laws of physics. :roll:

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
I think a lot of legislators should do what Santorum did. For all intents and purposes, move their families close to D.C. There is very little a member of Congress can do or will do in their constituency that their staff won't do. The truth is, much of what is done at "home," is handled by staff, not the actual Rep or Senator.

As for the issue at hand, it really isn't one. It was a matter of security (the ability to travel across the country non-stop). It is food for pundits and bloggers, not for anything that matters.

AgentJean

Banned
Jun 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Harvey
Since you didn't read my post in either this thread or the other one on the subject, I'll post it for you again:
Pelosi is second in the line of accession to the Presidency, right behind some dickwad who's had four heart attacks and a pacemaker, and whose name keeps coming up in Scooter Libby's trial as a participant in outing Valerie Plame's identity as a covert CIA operative. :shocked:

As was posted in the other thread about this, Federal law since 9-11 mandates that Pelosi must have security when she travels. Non-stop flights are more secure because every takeoff and landing raises an incremental additional risk. The size of the plane necessary for a non-stop transcontinental flight is also a matter of laws... the laws of physics. :roll:

Well it's more secure to put her in a bunker somewhere in California then she doesn't have to fly period. :roll:

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well it's more secure to put her in a bunker somewhere in California then she doesn't have to fly period. :roll:
But it may interfere with her doing her job. That's what your tax dollars are paying her to do.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Cheer up------this air Polisi thing is just a perfect storm thing for Repubarats to make a political issue of---when anyone who thinks for two seconds--realizes its total phony baloney.

As the results of various congressional investigations just starting up now bear fruit in six months or so, the negligent republirat congressional minority will have better things to worry about.---things like being placed on the endangered species list---and things like being part of the problem---but not part of the solution. As they will have to unlearn---gasp---their take no prisoners politics that now no longer fits reality.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Seems to me like the head of the House of Representatives should be able to fly nonstop home, considering Dick Cheney gets to do so when he goes to state funerals :D