Air or water for i5 750

Swamp

Jan 21, 2005
I cant make up my mind. I was only going to over clock to around 3.5ghz. Not looking to push 4ghz or anything. I wanna keep my temps down. But i see heatsinks under load in the 70s.

Price doesnt matter.

$150 for water cooling Danger Den water cooling
$70 for good heatsink

Iv looked all over for info, i just cant make up my mind.

thx

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
70 for a good sink

150 dollar h2o will make u sad and upgrade.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
why would the 150 water cooling make me sad?

$70 gets you a high-end HSF.

$150 gets you very low-end water cooling.

I think Aigo was inferring that you would be disappointed with the performance of the low-end w.c, resulting in you upgrading the w.c. components. At the end of the day you get what you pay for; spend $150 and it will be a bit better than air cooling. Spend $300 and pick the right (assuming you buy new) components and it will be quite a bit better than air cooling.

Edit: To put it in perspective; like a case, HSF and watercooling components do not change that much, i.e. the technology doesn't change at the same rate as say, a GPU or CPU. Hence it will last you years and can be re-used across builds, so at least it is a reasonably sound investment. All manufacturers do is tweak the basic principles:
1. The interface with the CPU IHS - the copper base of the HSF or the water block in the w.c;
2. The transfer medium - the heat pipes in the HSF or the pump, tubing and liquid in w.c; and
3. The heat sink - the copper / aluminium /etc. fins and fan(s) (if applicable) on the HSF or the rad and fan(s) in the w.c.

Last edited:

Swamp

Jan 21, 2005
I was looking at getting denger den.

i was just going to water cool my cpu. Nothing else if that helps

mpc-cpu block 1156 for i5 $43
dd12v-d5 pump $61 with the 20% off
black ice pro ii radiator $35

If thats low end. Could you give me an example of a higher end.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
good heatsink, which you could pick up for a lot less than $70.

Watercooling is for the hobbyist. It will never be more economical to water cool. You do it because you like messing around with computers. If that were you, you wouldn't be asking us :)

Is this for the E6550 in your sig?

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
Sorry, how did I miss that when it was in the title? :biggrin:

I'd still pick a mid-price air cooler.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
My take is and remains, at stock speed the cpu maker owes us a hear sink and fan that will always keep cpu temps under safe levels.

To some extent the same should be true for a mild overclock, but as soon as you intend to go past a mild overclock, I would not buy a CPU that becomes a damn furnace in the first place.

And as we see, the OP has only bought himself trouble and an expensive dilemma.

Swamp

Jan 21, 2005
Well i dont mind spending the $550 for a new comp. I cant see paying $250 for quad core for my skt 775 thats dead. I need a quad core anyways. I was going to use my current set up for my htpc. So either way i still gotta buy a cpu/ram/mobo.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
have you decided which motherboard and case you will be using?

You should research any possible clearance issues with the combo you will be using.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
I would have to agree with Lemon Law to some extent, cooling that thing off is not exactly easy for anyone; nor is any other CPU overclocked to those speeds for that matter. Expensive air cooling (specifically copper coolers) give you as good a chance as water IMO.

I've never read anything to sway my thinking otherwise on water cooling, though I will say its been a while since I've even considered it. They are equally influenced by ambient temp which is why I can't justify the cost for the performance alone.

Swamp

Jan 21, 2005
Iv seen benchmarks with water cooling thats not top of the line that keeps i5/i7 under load under 50C. Air seems to be like 70s under load.

I can justify spending the extra $70 for a water cooling to drop it 10-20C under load.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I can justify spending the extra $70 for a water cooling to drop it 10-20C under load.

How much better is this $150 water cooling going to be compared to Corsair H50?

Last edited:

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Iv seen benchmarks with water cooling thats not top of the line that keeps i5/i7 under load under 50C. Air seems to be like 70s under load.

If you only want to run 3.5GHz, you'll never get close to 70C temps under load. Right now I'm running my i5 750 at 4GHz on a (comparatively) little Noctua U9B in my cramped Lian-Li V351, and I don't even crack 80C in prime 95, and I don't hit 70C in games. The point is, if you slap a Prolimatech Megahalems or TRUE on there in a larger case, you won't have any issues at all. As mentioned, water cooling is there because you're a hobbyist and like tinkering or you want to push your system so far, it's the only way to go (and that will cost you upwards of $300). It doesn't sound like you're either from what I've read, so keep it simple, grab a decent air cooler, and be happy.