AHHH Outlook EXPRESS Gonna need help

pcman2002b

Jul 22, 2002
I have to make a house call tomorrow and I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this one.

Computer A = Windows 98SE with Outlook Express Ver. 6
Computer B = Windows XP Home with Outlook Express Ver. 6

They wanted to transfer address book from A to B. Over phone tried to get them to export as CSV file (comma seperated values) however when tried importing on B it said "Error importing address book." So had them do, "Tools," "Address Book." Then told them to click Export, but they couldn't, it was greyed out. They say that there are a huge amount of addresses so they say they can't retype them it would take to long.

Would have told them to copy the "wab" file over to the new system but I'm not sure which one carries the addresses. That is probably what I'll try tomorrow but could anyone please, tell me what the name of the file is thats got the address book crap stored in it. It definately doesn't carry a "wab" extension I had them search for it and it wouldn't show anything.

Please, you have to help me. :disgust:

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Found this on Google in about 15 seconds.

To make a backup copy of your Windows Address Book, follow these steps:

1. Start Outlook Express, open the Address Book
2. Click Help, about Windows Address Book. This will show to the default location of where your Address Book is stored. Write this down.
3. Open the Windows Explorer program and browse to the Address Book location that you wrote down.
4. Right click on the default folder (Address Book), and left click the option to Copy it.
5. Paste the folder into another folder location. I recommend creating a c:\Backup folder and pasting it there. You can also paste it to the D: drive, or a zip drive, or the CDRW drive.

To restore or import your Windows Address Book back into Outlook Express, follow these steps:

1. In Outlook Express, Click File, click Import, and then click Address Book.
2. In the "Select an Address Book" box, Browse to the Address Book folder, and double click the WAB file located there.