AHH The Good Old Days Of Barton :)

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by AZRoCker42, Nov 8, 2012.

1. mrmt

mrmt Diamond Member

You should be very young then.

AMD and Intel were in the same league through 1999 until 2005 (through Barrett term at Intel, if it says something). Before that AMD was cloning Intel chips or fielding chips that weren't that good like the K5.

A lot of the IP of the original Athlon wasn't developed in-house too, they were acquired from DEC. Some guys from their design teams came from there too, mostly the A64 guys. AMD didn't develop its manufacturing process too, they bought it from Motorola and then from IBM. Intel does everything in-house.

Once these guys left and AMD had nowhere to look to acquire process technology you know what happened: AMD is back to status quo ante, trailing Intel by huge margins and had to finally sell off their fabs.

2. octavian33

octavian33 Junior Member

I own a computer shop and at least once a week someone comes in with a computer that best buy's " geek squad " couldnt fix. The real kicker is that they still are charged for the diagnostic even though they couldnt fix it.

3. Makaveli

Makaveli Diamond Member

That is what the geek squad is known for they hire Techs that I wouldn't allow to touch a 286!

I always tell people to avoid them like the plague.

4. Abwx

Abwx Diamond Member

Yes , like the in-house designed PowerVR , X86-64 , QPI bus ( a carbon copy
    of HyperTransport) , IMC and so on....

5. nemesismk2

nemesismk2 Diamond Member

I agree 100% because i had a 2500 Mobile which overclocked upto 2.5Ghz :)

6. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

I had one of those that did the same, beyond 3200+ levels :)

I also had a P4 2.4B that I ran at 3.6Ghz, lapped and running on a 865 mobo. Before that I ran it at 3.12Ghz on a 845 mobo. Was a beast, and definitely faster than my AXP chips.

7. AZRoCker42

AZRoCker42 Member

God If I`m young I would guess your OLD I`m 42:D

8. CKTurbo128

CKTurbo128 Platinum Member

Barton, what memories. Especially the Mobile Athlon XP Bartons... man, those chips could overclock. Ran one at 2.6 GHz for a while, until I jumped to a Core 2 E6600.

9. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

I wonder why they overclocked so much better? My 1700+ had a higher ceiling than my desktop 2500+ did.

10. skipsneeky2

skipsneeky2 Diamond Member

Sadly received a old parts pc that had i believe a nvidia tn2 or something in it,and not sure the code name but i know it had a athlon 1800+,was a 462 socket.

Powered it on and it would not boot,but smelled awful and came to find out some vrms just fried on the spot when i booted it up,the inside of the case looked like it was sitting for a good 5 years.

What codename was this 1800+?I was looking forward to building something pretty cool out of it for retro games,it was housed on a via motherboard that supported both ddr and pc133,had two slots for either ram type which blew me away.

My first pc was a parts rig with a p4,these older athlons are before my time but i knew i had something special.

11. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

Ugh, that VIA board was probably an original KT266 one, probably why it died. A lot of the early DDR boards also had SDR slots.

You could probably pick up an Abit NF7 for cheap and get that sucker going.

12. skipsneeky2

If i had a test platform,i would have tested the 1800+ but honestly did not want to dump cash into a chip that could have or could have not worked.

Someone was all old school on this thing,it had a 16gb maxtor,the old paper weights that never die with windows 98 installed,the memory was pc133 512mb system total.

Unbelievable but that old hard drive had zero errors or issues,it became a temporary windows xp drive for a relatives computer till he could afford to get a more respective drive for windows 7.

13. Ajay

Ajay Platinum Member

I ran my 2500+ @ 200x12 (forget volts) w/PC3200 on an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. Solid as a rock. I had some sort of Thermalright solid copper + fins cooler with a high speed 80mm fan on it. I cooled earlier TBred A & B cpus with H20. All - IIRC.

14. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

Awww yeah. I used those Thermalrights too, sooooooooo heavy. But nice! That was the first era I starting lapping CPUs, best I got was a lapped 2.4B that I ran at 3.6Ghz. They ran great with AMD's too. I actually created a custom mount to use an 80MM fan though, I had a 60MM Delta that was ludicrously loud/annoying.

this was the one I bought several of :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109122

15. Dirigible

Dirigible Diamond Member

I always lol at who the Barton was named after, and why.

16. skipsneeky2

Maybe a typo and they mean't to name it Burton?:D

17. SlowSpyder

SlowSpyder Lifer

I had almost the exact same setup and that same Thermalright copper cooler, that thing was just a block of metal. I had the earlier one that didn't have heatpipes, I used a 92mm fan. I could boot at 2.6GHz, but got random restarts. 2.5GHz was 99% stable. I could never get my 2500+ 100% stable on anything beyond the stock speed for some reason, no matter what I did. Back then I used a DFI Lan Party motherboard... that thing was colorful. :)

I missed the old bare chips without the IHS. My favorite chip from those days had to be my Duron (1600+ or 1800+, I forget which I had) that would go all the way to ~2.2GHz. If I remember correctly I only spent something like $40 for that CPU. That was a monster back in its day. :)

18. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

Man Barton powned, I had it I think... Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.4Ghz I had that thing until 2007 Nov ever since then this Q6 @ 3.7Ghz has done the job.and still is.. except I got a used P5K cuz mine gave up on me after I abused it soo much,, new one is 100 dollars but I dont think I could find it which is why I bought this cheapo used on which sux.. plus eSata and fireware dont work LOL and yes their enabled in BIOS. lol... blowed big time LOL actually it was the good ole days, good days of XP OS.

19. Makaveli

Makaveli Diamond Member

Argh hated those KT266 Chipset boards.

I've never seen so many boards die!

20. skipsneeky2

Thats pretty funny actually,i never owned one of these legendary chips,i get a system that should work and my first plug in and boot up and poof goes vrms.:eek:

I know i was a little late to the party by like what 8 years maybe?But wow all this computer did was get moved over to my house for the boot up and wow.:rolleyes:

Add mine to the list!o_O

21. AZRoCker42

AZRoCker42 Member

I still have the ones I didn`t fry but lets see I got a Barton Mobile 2400+ 1.45v a barton 2800+ and a sempron that actually could clock& 2.2 and my Epox 8RDA3+PRO I had the 8KHA+ blew the caps had to replace them and it ran fine I sold it in a system after 6 years I think KT266A better than KT266 by far:D Always Wanted to get the NF7-S rev2.0:'(

22. Pohemi420

Pohemi420 Golden Member

Ditto. Actually reached 2.9GHz at one point, but of course it wasn't stable. At 2.4GHz though, I couldn't crash it no matter how hard I tried.
    I also recall paying $500+ for the first BFG 6800U OC to throw into that system. Ah, so much fun I had monkeying with that box.

23. crashtech

crashtech Diamond Member

Funny this thread came to the top, I just pitched a Barton 2800+ into the bin. Trying to rid myself of packrat tendencies, pitched a bunch of dialup modem cards, too, but kept a couple, "just in case," lol.

24. Azuma Hazuki

Azuma Hazuki Senior member

Not everyone who works in the GS is bad you know. I'm the token woman on mine and also one of the more competent repair techicians; I've also fixed a fair number of issues OTHER stores' GS cohorts said they couldn't (apparently those customers were shopping around...).

GS is kind of a losing proposition because its model is based on enforced stupidity. Customers are (partly by their own hands, I assert) nearly totally ignorant about how their machines work. And corporations tend to hire the lowest people they can to save money. I am in the unique position of never having been able to afford the certs that say I know what I know, so this particular GS has an intermediate-level sysadmin with over a decade of experience building computers on it. And because I hate seeing people get taken advantage of I save customers money whenever possible (and allowed).

We're not all horrible!

25. BeauCharles

BeauCharles Member

I have an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton and a Shuttle brand nForce2 Ultra 400 mobo for it (Shuttle used to make ATX motherboards). It was my first PC building project back in 2003. Served me well for three years - keep thinking about reassembling it for a Linux box. Still have a 7800 GS AGP card and some old RAM. Just need a case a few few more items. Think I'm talking myself into it - lol.