Ahahaha the Microsoft haters are never happy are they...

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-958543.html

this was the dumbest:

The third violation, ProComp charges, is that the middleware control is not intuitive and comes with no Help file for understanding how to use it.

rolleye.gif

if you can't figure out how to use that, perhaps you should familiarize yourself with a mouse, and how moving the mousey will in turn, cause the little arrow on the screen to move.

is it any surprise that these dolts are funded by microsoft competitors?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
oh come on, it's no fun to point and laugh by yourself... :D

reading the "feedback" is also entertaining....

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Consumers have three choices for obtaining the service pack. The first is to use Windows XP's Automatic Update feature to retrieve and install a 30MB file. ProComp noted that the time for retrieval, as stated by Microsoft, would be 1.25 hours over a standard dial-up connection.

I'm sure most dial-ipers spend more time d/l'ing their movies/mp3s/warez, so what's an hour and a bit?? might give'em a chance to do something.. like read a book or learn another OS....

rolleye.gif

EDIT

Sounds like NightFlyerGTI wrote the article.... :D

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Lucky
sounds like they have some valid complaints.

far and few between... the only one i remember seeing was the one about how the my music folder still brought up IE to buy music.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
If they hate windows so much, I've got some links for them...

Since they hate Microsoft's monopoly so much, they could buy an OS from one of these companies, and actually promote thier competion:
apple sun redhat

Or, they can contunue to support Microsoft's monopoly by buying winXP and bitching about how it's not fair that MS has a monopoly.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
do what? middleware? wtf is middleware? how bout they just called it "software tied to the operating system in a way that violates the 1995 consent decree with the US gov't"?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
do what? middleware? wtf is middleware? how bout they just called it "software tied to the operating system in a way that violates the 1995 consent decree with the US gov't"?

i think everybody (except you) would rather call it middleware... just three syllables :D

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh

you're an idiot.

Thanks asswipe. :D

Of course, any non-microsoft employee would agree that :

1.In the fifth alleged violation, ProComp said the updated Windows XP's My Music folder called up Internet Explorer for online shopping, even after the group had selected Netscape as the default browser and had hidden access to IE.

is a valid complaint, as is IMO

The group's allegation regarding a sixth violation rapped Microsoft for failing to include in the middleware control an option to disable Microsoft's .Net Framework Common Language Runtime, an alternative to Sun's Java Virtual Machine.

Although Microsoft released the technology long after signing the proposed settlement, the Common Language Runtime meets the standard set by the agreement for determining what future middleware products would be covered by the deal, ProComp said.

and

ProComp said Microsoft's second violation is that Service Pack 1 neglects to provide Start Menu access to the middleware control, and doesn't include a short-cut icon to the control on the desktop.

The third violation, ProComp charges, is that the middleware control is not intuitive and comes with no Help file for understanding how to use it.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

1.In the fifth alleged violation, ProComp said the updated Windows XP's My Music folder called up Internet Explorer for online shopping, even after the group had selected Netscape as the default browser and had hidden access to IE.

i agree

The group's allegation regarding a sixth violation rapped Microsoft for failing to include in the middleware control an option to disable Microsoft's .Net Framework Common Language Runtime, an alternative to Sun's Java Virtual Machine.

Although Microsoft released the technology long after signing the proposed settlement, the Common Language Runtime meets the standard set by the agreement for determining what future middleware products would be covered by the deal, ProComp said.

this has yet to be determined. besides, i don't see how keeping it there will prevent a competitor's products from running.

ProComp said Microsoft's second violation is that Service Pack 1 neglects to provide Start Menu access to the middleware control, and doesn't include a short-cut icon to the control on the desktop.

was this part of the agreement? if not, then who cares. i mean, the only thing on the desktop is the recycle bin... i don't see why this little-used tool should get 50% of the icon usage.

it's not intuitive if you're an idiot.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

you're an idiot.

Thanks asswipe. :D

Of course, any non-microsoft employee would agree that :

If that was the only way for them to get the update i would agree, but it isnt.

the CLR is not a direct competitor to JVM, the CLR will only run MSIL not JAVA byte code so if you have java programs you will need a JVM to run it. The press is usually ignorant about such things, its sad that the public becomes ignorant too.

and

rolleye.gif
go look at it yourself, any moron with half a brain could understand how to use it.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I feel bad for MS. I really do. Being an illegal monopolist is such a tough, thankless life :D
CRY ME A RIVER!
rolleye.gif

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
no response lucky?

for being such an arrogant turd that you give me barely 1/2 hour to respond, im tempted not to respond at all but will appease you. :D

If that was the only way for them to get the update i would agree, but it isnt.

Huh? that has nothing to do with the complaint, which has nothing to do with windows update. Although IMO how you are forced to use IE to get windows updates is a crock of sh*t as well, now that you mention it.

The press is usually ignorant about such things, its sad that the public becomes ignorant too.

I will certainly try and educate myself on this issue a little more but I fail to see how the press was ignorant on the issue, they are only reporting what the compaint is.

go look at it yourself, any moron with half a brain could understand how to use it.

I have the FCKGW Corp. Edition installed on my wintel box and as such have not installed SP1 yet, (yes, I bought a valid retail edition.
rolleye.gif
) however that's not the issue. If their complaint is that MS does not make it as easy to use as the rest of windows "features" and it is not supported in help files then I think that's a valid complaint. May be easy for you and me but how about for the average folk? :)

One software developer contacted by CNET News.com agreed with this assertion.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
I have the FCKGW Corp. Edition installed on my wintel box and as such have not installed SP1 yet, (yes, I bought a valid retail edition.
rolleye.gif
) however that's not the issue. If their complaint is that MS does not make it as easy to use as the rest of windows "features" and it is not supported in help files then I think that's a valid complaint. May be easy for you and me but how about for the average folk? :)

really? it seems easier to use than msconfig... easier than using regedit... easier than using a lot of the admin tools... easier to use than the local/restricted zone stuff in IE...

in my experience, average folk do not give a rat's ass. the only people that care are people like you and me.

these nutjobs just aren't going to be happy until ms shoves it in people's faces, which is totally unreasonable.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
these nutjobs just aren't going to be happy until ms shoves it in people's faces, which is totally unreasonable.

If they are allowed to use windows to further other microsoft products, and that is what the courts had problems with, then I dont think it unreasonable to give at least comparable visibility to the "middleware" controls as MS gives IE, OE, etc. An icon on the desktop, start menu...

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

If they are allowed to use windows to further other microsoft products, and that is what the courts had problems with, then I dont think it unreasonable to give at least comparable visibility to the "middleware" controls as MS gives IE, OE, etc. An icon on the desktop, start menu...

its not the appropiate place to put it, if you goto control panel-> add/remove programs its right there, where some one would logically think to go and look for it.