AGP video card in the 50 dollar area

var1ety

Feb 5, 2002
Looking to upgrade from a Voodoo 3 2000 to an interim solution to get me through to the next big leap in graphics card performance that seems to be coming. The V3 is still sufficient for all the games I play, however since 3dfx went out of business it won't have support for the next version of DX that comes out, and newer games like NWN and America's Army flat out don't support it. I do a fair amount of casual gaming, run Windows 2000, and have a duron-800 @ 933 with cas2 pc133 memory. I'd prefer to pick up a card with Linux support, as when I upgrade again I'll be passing the card down to my non-Windows pc, so would prefer to stay near Nvidia and ATI.

I was looking at the GeForce2 GTS, which is 47 shipped via pricewatch, but noticed a whole host of other cards, including a GTS-V, as well as TI models. Also, polarized by friends that have had issues with ATI cards, I haven't followed their progress too closely, but would appreciate pointers towards ATI models that would be competitive with the GF2 GTS in price and performance.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
the original radeon ddr is ATI's answer for the GTS. i've seen both the radeon and gts over in FS/FT go in the $40 range. i also saw a 3rd party radeon 7500 (sdr tho) on newegg's refurb page for $38.xx shipped. i've heard that the radeon 9000 will replace the 7500 as the budget ATI card, so u might want to keep that in mind as well.