AGP+PCIE+PCI Motherboard

ciao303

Apr 11, 2018
I'm looking for an AMD or Intel motherboard that has an AGP port PCIE port and 2 PCI ports, the latest one if possible. Everything else is regardless as long as it is DDR2/DDR3 memory at the minimum. Which model would that be?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
AGP has been dead for a long time. PCI is mostly dead as well, but occasionally a few current boards have one or two slots.

You would have to buy some pretty old used parts on Ebay. PCIe is what replaced AGP, and RAM is generally not interchangeable between the various chipset generations. Your question is so broad, nobody can really help you find what you are asking.

Please tell us what you are trying to do (like building an old PC with used parts, or building a new budget PC), or what your plan is (plus budget and the area you will be buying the components at).

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I'm looking for an AMD or Intel motherboard that has an AGP port PCIE port and 2 PCI ports, the latest one if possible. Everything else is regardless as long as it is DDR2/DDR3 memory at the minimum. Which model would that be?
Do you have some old AGP and PCI cards that you still want to use? I wouldn't bother as even iGPUs are much better then AGP video cards were and onboard sound has gotten very decent.

ciao303

Apr 11, 2018
I just want to build a "vintage" setup. Something that will work with Windows XP and before. RAM isn't really a question. I can still source DDR2 chips. If you can direct me to a single motherboard model that has what I was inquiring about, I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S.: Given the specs that I was looking for, which AMD CPU chipset was prevalent during the time when those specs were generally legitimate?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I just want to build a "vintage" setup. Something that will work with Windows XP and before. RAM isn't really a question. I can still source DDR2 chips. If you can direct me to a single motherboard model that has what I was inquiring about, I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S.: Given the specs that I was looking for, which AMD CPU chipset was prevalent during the time when those specs were generally legitimate?

Athlon 64 CPUs (Socket 939) were the last ones that went in motherboard that had AGP slots. You can look at motherboards with that socket, and make your decision.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1733

Asrock released a unique motherboard that had both AGP and PCIe slots that used an Nvidia Nforce3 chipset, which would have been Phenom X4 / X2 series CPUs.

http://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?cat=News&id=113

Reactions: lightmanek

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
You'll want the Asrock 939Dual-SATA2. AGP, PCIe and regular PCI on the same board. Can even take an AM2 CPU w/DDR2 with a special expansion board.

If you can find one, and If you can find the expansion board. Be warned, it can be... temperamental... to work with because of the fairly unique ULi chipset. Drivers aren't the best quality.

(in case you haven't guessed it, I have one)

As Mr Evil suggested, an XP VM is properbly a safer bet. gog.com also have many older titles that have been updated to run on more modern OSs.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I would go with gog.com instead of trying to use such an old system for older gaming.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
the motherboards that supported Core 2 and newer with AGP were not very good, they normally had lower cost/outdated chipsets, because PCIE Graphics cards started in 2004 and were the norm by 2006

if you can find there are boards like these:
nforce3+uli chipset supporting up to Phenom II
http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/ALiveDual-eSATA2/

via pt880 supporting up to C2Q (FSB266)
https://www.asrock.com/mb/via/4coredual-sata2/

Have you considered using a virtual machine instead? VirtualBox on a modern PC can run Windows XP fast enough to run old games.

I think compatibility is not really that great with games, the d3d support is not perfect, but it could be interesting to investigate.

also for emulation of older systems (windows 98, pentium 233 and lower) there is PCEm which is pretty cool it even emulates the voodoo and it's more accurate than dosbox for older stuff (but it's very CPU heavy)

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
The asrock 939dual is one of the few transition boards that even existed and seems to be the functionally best one. IIRC most of the others had compromises either in the AGP or the pci-e slot. And you could even use DDR2 and AM2 cpus if you have the upgrade card. But I imagine both items are difficult to find now. I sort of regret selling mine even though it would have just collected dust, it was really an interesting piece.

Bridge chips exist and there were rumors about a standalone agp card to pci-e slot adapter product but AFAICT no one ever brought these products to market. I saw a german forum where some one was using a regulary pci to agp adapter to run old cards on a new PCI once.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Second one does not have AGP though. First one does not have PCIE.

Yes. It is an either or right now for new. Unless they want to pay for a used AsRock 939 / 775 Dual series board off eBay.

ASRock 775I65G R3.0 is the ideal candidate for an old school box, just have to dig up an AGP card.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
This makes me nostalgic for my old Cyrix 5x86 board that had 1 X AGP, 3 X PCI and 2 or 3 X ISA slots on it from WAY back in the day. That was a VERY temperamental setup on a good day, but, if you made living sacrifices to various minor deities, you could get it stable with a 40 mhz bus and a 3X core multi and embarrass the odd P-75 and some poorly configured P-90s...

good times... good times...

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Yes. It is an either or right now for new. Unless they want to pay for a used AsRock 939 / 775 Dual series board off eBay.

ASRock 775I65G R3.0 is the ideal candidate for an old school box, just have to dig up an AGP card.
I'm too sure about running such old hardware in this day and age. It could be cheaper just to buy the updated versions of those old games from GOG.com.

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008

There isn't a lot of point in buying gear like this. Have any friends who have been dong this for a long time? I personally have boxes full of old crap that I could actually make run if it was worth my time (which it isn't). The ones I've got in mind were a socket 775 core 2 quad 6600, Athlon 64X2 4400 on a 939 board (think I have a 4200 kicking around too). In a drawer I've got a K62+ (and maybe have my good old k63) though I don't think I have any RAM for those. Anyway, scrounge your friends' junk piles.