AGP dead?

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
I really need your help.

My old PCI Banshee is on it's last leg and my BH6 refuses to recognize the new AGP GeForce. I have even tried the W95 PCI Patch just for the he!! of it. No Dice.

I can get into Safe Mode but the video drivers won't load for windows. I can hear sound and the CD-ROM spins up. Device mgr. says no conflict's. I removed Banshee drivers (even from the registry). I've been popping both cards in so much I look like a pro.

W95B (OSR2), New Antec 300W PS, BH6 v1.01 (QN), 128 PC-100

So do you guys think the AGP slot is (has been) dead? Is there any way I can check? I don't own any other AGP cards so now what??

Big Lar

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
What do you have your IO voltage at, ie; 3.3 is default/ try a higher setting if your board allows it.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
that AGP patch for win95 doesn't do jack, but that's not exactly your problem, is it...

Packet

Apr 24, 2000
Yeah, I would go for Windows98 and see if that helps.

W95 is pretty dated.

Capster

Jan 31, 2000
FlashG,

When you're trying this are you seeing the post and initial boot info on your monitor that is connected to the agp card? Do you have the pci card installed while doing this? Remember that the bios defaults to the pci card as the main video card unless you change it in the bios(this applies only if both are installed at the same time). You really don't mention whether you get any picture through the agp card whether it's dos or Windows. That's a pretty important fact to know to determine if the slot is really bad.

If I was doing this on my machine, I would do the following.

1. Remove the pci card drivers.
2. Power down and remove the pci card.
3. Install the agp card.
4. Power up and note any odd issues with the display.
5. Providing it gets into Windows address install and configuration of drivers from there.

If you get to #5 and are still having problems, maybe try moving the pci card closest to the agp card to a different slot and try again. Be sure you removed drivers for that card before doing so of course and let Windows redetect it. If this fails I would recommend trying Win98SE. I wouldn't jump to Win98SE though if you cannot get to #5 above.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Thanks guys,

Capster,

I'm not getting into regular W95B, just under Safe Mode. The patch doesn't seam to work. No IRQ conflicts. I tried 2 drivers so far (after removing old Banshee).

I have 2 ISA (3Com Modem & CL Sound Blaster). The Banshee is the only PCI and I have never used the AGP until now. I have enabled AGP in the latest BIOS.

My C2 566 is at 1.50v (stock). It is not OC'd.

I'm with you at not trying another W9X OS. It must be something else I'm over looking.

Any more?

Capster

Jan 31, 2000
This is when it's nice to have a second harddrive and an imaging program like ghost and just ghost your Win95 partition to an image file on it. Then do a fresh install of the Win95 OS that you have(or Win98) and see if that gets things going for you. Programs like Ghost are good for situations like this because you can always roll back to what you had quick and easily if it doesn't work out. Of course, the first step is having space to store that image file and then getting the app.

RentaCow

Oct 10, 1999
Sounds to me like you have a driver installation issue. Either you new drivers aren't getting installed properly, or you haven't removed the old ones well enough.

It is EXTREEMLY unlikely that your "AGP Slot" is dead...

Reformatting and reinstalling your OS will almost certainly solve the problem, but I suppose that might not be entirely desierable for other reasons.

You say the drivers "won't load." You weren't to specific about why not. What do you mean by that?

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
RentaCow,

I am assuming that vid card drivers aren?t loading properly. I can hear the windows start up sound and my CD-ROM spins up but I get no video in windows. As I said before Safe Mode works fine. Go figure?

StanTheMan,

That FAQ site just might have my answer. ;)

"This seems to be caused by the Backup utility supplied with Windows 9x attempting to detect new tape devices on boot. You can fix it by renaming the files drvwppqt.vxd and drvwq117.vxd in the Windows\System\Iosubsys directory. If you find this causes your tape drive to stop working, you'll have to rename the files back. You can safely delete the files if you don't have a tape drive or don't get problems.

Another possible fix is to simply disable the startup sound"

I'll give it a try tonight

And thank you both.