AGP 1.0, 2.0, ti4200, BX440 motherboards????

randypj

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Will someone please tell me that I am not as stupid as the Chaintech support person says I am?

ChainTech GeForce4 ti4200, 4XAGP, 64MB DDR, w/ DVI & TV-Out
Abit BH-6 BX440 AGP 1.0 (3.3 volt per mobo manual)
Abit BX2, rev.2 BX440 AGP 1.0 (3.3 volt per mobo manual)

1. It is my understanding that (even per Anandtech FAQ--thanks Andy) AGP 1.0 and AGP 2.0 are both forward and backward compatible. Correct?

2. Yeah, my mobos are AGP 1.0 and the vid card is AGP 2.0. Yeah, I know the card way outruns the mobo.

3. Per a nice illustrative ATI page, I have situation D which will work?

Nice Illustrative ATI link

4. Chaintech support person insists that my AGP slot will run at 5 volts, and will "burn out the video card".

Please tell me what I am missing here....or what he is missing.
--Randy

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
If your Abit mobos are AGP 2x/1x compliant and your video card is AGP 4x/2x, then your video card will work but you will have to manually set the card to AGP 2x if it doesn't set itself up that way.

If your Abit mobos are only AGP 1x (*1st generation AGP), then only AGP 2x/1x cards are supported and the AGP 4x/2x card is not supported.

If your card is only AGP 4x or it's an AGP 8x/4x card, it will only work in a AGP 4x or an AGP 8x mobo.

All pre-AGP 4x cards were 3.3volt, and all subsequent cards since AGP 4x are 1.5volt.

Using this info, I believe that the Abit mobos you mentioned are AGP 2x/1x, and as long as the GF4 Ti4200 is a AGP 4x/2x card, which I believe it is, you should have no problems with using this card in your older mobo.

randypj

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Mavrick007, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the Abit mobos are 1X/2X, and AGP 1.0. I'm thinkin' the card should automagically setup. It is a boxed version, and the box had no warnings on it, just said AGP 2.0 compliant and 4X. No warnings about voltage at all.

And, it is slotted correctly to fit my AGP 1.0.

Yes, I remember about the AGP 1X only. I had one on my old FIC socket 7 mobo. Wasn't it kind of like...before AGP spec was finalized?

OK....your point about AGP 4X/8X only working in AGP 4X or AGP 8X mobos.....I know the card will not run at 4X in my mobos, but wouldn't it still run at 2X? Per the ATI illustration, it is slotted for D which is how my mobo AGP slot is. I've gotta think that, at least voltage-wise, if it slotted to run in AGP 1.0 slot, it will not "burn up" as the tech put it? Worst case is it wouldn't work?

From searching Google groups, I know some other people are running other brands of ti4200 in the same mobos, just fine. I don't know where the Chaintech tech gets the idea that my AGP slot will supply 5 volts, and "burn out the card".

I believe you are correct, that this card will work....UNLESS....for some reason, Chaintech cards are different than other GF4 ti4200 cards.

I realize I will not derive the full benefit from it, but it's replacing a TNT2 Ultra, and is being used with a 1.1 or 1.4 Tul, so I think I will still see a big whoop up.

Thanks much,
--Randy

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
Supposedly the new AGP 8x/4x cards are 3.0 compliant, which means that they are only 1.5volt and even if they fit on a mobo, I would be careful cause I have heard of some people putting 3.3volt cards on only 1.5volt boards and then frying the card, or the AGP port. The AGP 8x/4x cards are not supposed to be backwards compatible with any 2x mobos. I am kind of curious though cause the nVidia GF4 cards that were re-released with 8x AGP might not work on a 2x mobo, so they would have to be quite different in hardware than the normal first release GF4's.

If it's a straight Ti4200 card, then it should have no problem working on your 2x AGP slot mobo. It will just switch to the 3.3volt which the port can handle.

What are you running for an adapter with your Tually? A powerleap? Is it a straight P3 Tually or a Celeron? I'm curious cause my friend has been trying to upgrade to a Tualatin as well. I know what you mean by doin the upgrade on the vid though cause I went from a TNT2 Ultra to a GF4 Ti4400 and I haven't looked back since. You will enjoy the card.

randypj

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I still can't figure out where the Chaintech guy gets 5 volts at. And, the card specifically states AGP 2.0 on the box....no mention of 3.0.

I'd still like to have someone drop in that is using a Chaintech GF4 on a BX mobo.

As far as the Tuls. Just wire hack. You might talk to JmsAndrsn over in FS/FT. He set my Dad up with a mobo/Tul combo, and me up with a Tul/slotket combo. Very good guy. Heck, you probably already know him.
--Randy

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
Hehe I don't know, maybe the Chaintech guy is talking about the fan. If your box says 2.0, it's definitely the AGP 4x/2x card and will work on your AGP 2x mobo. Good luck.