Aging is depressing

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
after watching the flash video of the guy age, and just in general thinking about it, i'm starting to realize how depressing aging is. sometimes i just long for my youth...thinking about all my fvck ups...how i could have done it better...for all my long lost friends, some of which i've found...then i just realize how much time has passed between us....i think about my achievements, and realize that they amount to little now.... somebody give me some perspective. i'm 24.

edit: found the VIDEO

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Yeah now that I'm out of school I feel old. I'm actually back on campus right now, and it's so odd to be here but not have to go to class.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
I find most of the concept of time to be quite depressing. It never stops, keeps moving forward, moving you steadily toward your death.

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
I find most of the concept of time to be quite depressing. It never stops, keeps moving forward, moving you steadily toward your death.

couldn't have said it better than that. excuse me while i go await my death.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005

It is because of this that people need an afterlife; they want some hope to cling on to.

I'm not saying there is no afterlife, just saying this is the obvious reason why the idea is around.

I wish we were like Elder Scroll's dark elves. They live incredibly long times, but biologically can have only 1 or 2 children during thier life, if my memory serves me correct.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Don't worry. All of us will be dead 100 years from now. No use crying about it.

Nobody cheats time. Live and enjoy your life. :beer:

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: deejayshakur

couldn't have said it better than that. excuse me while i go await my death.

The only thing I can say is that it's important to live for today, because you never know the future. This is at least my philosophy.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: deejayshakur somebody give me some perspective. i'm 24.

Heres some "perspective" for you ... shut the fvck up & ENJOY being 24! :p

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: deejayshakur
after watching the flash video of the guy age, and just in general thinking about it, i'm starting to realize how depressing aging is. sometimes i just long for my youth...thinking about all my fvck ups...how i could have done it better...for all my long lost friends, some of which i've found...then i just realize how much time has passed between us....i think about my achievements, and realize that they amount to little now.... somebody give me some perspective. i'm 24.

Set some personal and professional goals for yourself (basically make a list of everything you want to do before you die) then get cracking 'cause you could be hit by a bus tomorrow.

Also, don't be one of those people that thinks their High School years were their glory days. If you think 16 was when you peaked as an individual just kill yourself now to make more room for the rest of us that have a bit more ambition.

Lethal

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Captante
Originally posted by: deejayshakur somebody give me some perspective. i'm 24.

Heres some "perspective" for you ... shut the fvck up & ENJOY being 24! :p

No kidding. When I was 24, I too thought of aging. It's depressing that high school is long gone. Now that I'm 31, I wish I would have realized how young 24 really is! You're so young in your 20's. Sure, you're not a teenager anymore, but who cares. When you're in your 30's, believe me, you'll think of your 20's just like you're thinking of high school now.

I'm doing my best to see how young 31 is too. No use worrying about being old before you're really old. I'd hate to be turning 50, and be pissed at myself for not appreciating my 30's and 40's.

Dragoon42

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2000
dude seriously, i'm pretty good at the violin, any song you want me to play?

I can play some linkin park songs if you want.

wazzledoozle

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2006
Well unlike you people, I myself have decided not to die, therefore I do not worry about the passage of time. Enjoy your countdowns...

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Jesus you're right. I'm 25. Time to go slit my wrists... Or... you're 24 years old, wtf are you whining about?

SophalotJack

Banned
Jan 6, 2006
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
Jesus you're right. I'm 25. Time to go slit my wrists... Or... you're 24 years old, wtf are you whining about?

I'm 26 and after reading the OP's post, I decided to join AARP and look into retirement homes and funeral insurance.

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
i think what really hit me was getting back in touch with some elementary school friends (through myspace) from texas, where i moved from 12 years ago. obviously a lot changed, and there wasn't really anything i could do about it or be there for. i still thought of everybody as puny, dorky 12 year olds running around the playground at lunchtime.

i have goals, and spend my days working to achieve them. but they consist of 10-12 hours of studying which doesn't leave me much time to enjoy my 20s. i guess it's given me some time to reflect and be pensive about the past, aging, and death. i'm not sitting around waiting for death to happen though.

btw, i can't find the flash video. if anybody remembers, it's the one where the guy takes a picture of himself everyday for 6 years. time for me to crash, after i have a :beer:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ya, but what can you do?

Want become clinically depressed? Think about this: The older you get, the faster time passes!!

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
As a person who just turned 39 all I can do is laugh hysterically at your post.

BTW, my 30s have been, by far, the best years of my life. In fact, my late 30s have been incredible.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: SophalotJack
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl

I'm 26 and after reading the OP's post, I decided to join AARP and look into retirement homes and funeral insurance.

It's funny, a few months after I turned 25 I started getting all kinds of junk mail from AARP. Maybe I really am getting old :confused: