Age of Empires 2 Music Problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aqualox

Jan 1, 2012
Searching too for a solution brought me to this and it works.

1. Solution working:

As the Collectors Edition has no audio CD (no ingame music at all), we can make one e.g. from the youtube videos. There are plenty of them and they are complete. Download them with a manager, convert them into .wav format. Burn a mixed mode CDROM with the tracks in the right order to a image (put a dummy file into the data track, the audio wavs into the track list). Now deactivate every existing physical CDROM in the device manager (XP).
Install a virtual drive software and mount the image. Activate digital music for the drive. Because we bought the cd, we can use a patch for the launcher, which allows us to play without the original DVD? Right? Important: The virtual drive must be mapped as the first CDROM drive in alphabetical order (give it the letter of the drive normally used to play CD audio), to be recognized as drive to play the audio CD music.

unre3l p robably forgot to deactivate his first physical drive, so the game did not tried to play the music form the virtual drive, but rather from the first and wrong with the DVD with the prior letter. Maybe it is adequate to change the letters of the drives without deactivating the physical drive. Just give the virtual drive the first free letter prior to the physical drive.

2. Solution via midi working:
Create a folder named "midi" (without the qoutes) in the sound folder of the games installation directory. Put the Midi files (from the demo version of AOE2 or from the archive file AOD MIDI Package II from the page linked below) into the midi folder. Make a shortcut to the exe and add with properties to the target "-midimusic" (looks like: ...\empires2.EXE" "-midimusic"). The midi files must be renamed into format "MUSIC1.MID", "MUSIC2.MID"...The starting number for AOEII is "1" and for Conquerors expansion its the "9".

Get the Midi files.

Last edited:

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
I have the same-bought it mainly for the first AOE and its expansion, I already had the second one. Can't comment on the music since it seems to work fine, but I can't load saves without it crashing.
I think it's a piece of crap software on the disc.:\

WhiteWolf27

Mar 31, 2012
I had the same problem:
Bought AOE Collectors edition, and it had no in-game/background music.
But that idea with the midi files worked perfectly, thanks a lot.

pw38

Apr 21, 2010
I virtualize XP in WIn7 and haven't had any problems with background music. I actually had more problems when I ran Win98. I'd get background music for other games, not for AoE2. Talk about weird. Try playing and listening to the background music for Half Life. Ah memories lol...

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
...before anyone thinks I'm nagging about a cracked, illegal copy, no I bought the Ubisoft Age of Empires Collector's Edition DVD this afternoon; I absolutely love the series, AOE2+Exp being my personal favorite.

Isn't the game supposed to have in-game music streaming in the background? I thought it did; the first Age of Empires does? I don't know what to do anymore. Google is completely altzheimer's on the topic. And I'm not using a crack; I tried running it in compatibility mode, I tried running it on my virtual Win98 system, no joy.

Did I mention that I used Google? And just about every other search engine I can think of :(

castle in 15 min! knight rush!

pick tuetons and town center rush (+6 range?).
plus their +10 armor isnt shabby either.