Aftermarket cooling 4870

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
I have my 512MB 4870 (reference) OC'ed to 825/1100. I'm running Boinc 24/7 (or at least whenever I'm not playing a game). With the fan at 35% I get temps a tad shy of 85C. According to GPU-Z, the VDDC phases are 93, 97, and 94C, respectively. I've read that these cards can take heat, but I don't want to cook it. I would increase the fan speed but I really would prefer to not have to deal with the noise.

So, should I be concerned? If so then what is typically considered as the 'best' value HSF for the card? I have an Accelero X2 installed on an X1900GT and was wondering if that's compatible with the 4870. I know it's almost certainly not, but I can't get find a solid answer on that.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
I wouldn't put the S2 on it. I have an S2 and just got a 4870 delivered today. The S1 might work but you would need some additional heatsinks I think and either the dual fan module or strap a 120mm onto it.

I'll probably be looking for a cooler soon as well. Going to check out SPCR's reviews on coolers first.

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
I wouldn't put the S2 on it. I have an S2 and just got a 4870 delivered today. The S1 might work but you would need some additional heatsinks I think and either the dual fan module or strap a 120mm onto it.

I'll probably be looking for a cooler soon as well. Going to check out SPCR's reviews on coolers first.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that there's absolutely no additional room between my GPU and sound card. I can't have it taking up a 3rd slot.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
You're probably SOL here if you can't have 3rd slot. Thermalright T-Rad takes up one slot, meaning your card takes up two slots now. Even if you use slim 12mm fans it is still going to take up 3 slots total, and because of slim fans it's going to be noisy, quieter than stock I'm sure but still noisy.

Mergano

Jan 11, 2010
the problem is that the VRM's don't get cooled by most third party coolers, so things will probably just get worse if you get one. In the end i had to get a t-rad2 AND the VRM cooler from Thermalright. A lot of money for a cooler... If I had know I'd have to get both when i got the t-rad, I'd have never bothered. It runs very cool now, though (on a 4890)

and a t-rad will take up three slots.

Last edited:

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Your temps are high, you want them lower, you're unwilling to bump fan speed or use more slots....

There's not much we can do for you. Tough it out and bump the fan speed, WC it, or maybe stop running BOINC 24/7

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Your temps are high, you want them lower, you're unwilling to bump fan speed or use more slots....

There's not much we can do for you. Tough it out and bump the fan speed, WC it, or maybe stop running BOINC 24/7

All yabbin and no solutions..

I own a sapph 4870, Like you I have no space.

SOo. I bought a thermalright HR-03GT and BENT it vertical with the case.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2769827

Scroll down to the 3rd post on that page. I did exactly what this guy did. and the fans go Behind the cooler. on the inner envelope of the case

That is not my computer. I just followed his example for mine. ALSO you'll want to use 2x80mm fans for the hr03gt. 120mm fans don't cool nearly as well. The air is projected broad on a 120mm fan, so less air is actually going across the center of the heatsink, WHICH is where it is hottest. 80mm fans will focus the air across where it needs to go.

YES heatpipes can bend.
NO it does not hinder performance of the cooler. if anything it enhanced it, as the fans are no longer pushing air ONTO the card, but away from it completely.

You will also need Zalman RHS90 Best one out there for 4870 mosfet.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=97201

Load temp 54C, Idel 39-41C on GPU

Memory, I used el'cheapo sinks i had left over, so these are a bit high, 67C load.

VDDC Load 52-54C with ZA-RHS90

Last edited by a moderator:

Jd007

Jan 1, 2010
The Thermaltake DuOrb cooler is pretty good, though it's a bit on the loud side. Get the second gen with automatic fan speed control for quieter operation. It cools the 4800 series beautifully. My 4850 was hitting the high 80s with stock cooler; with DuOrb it maxes out at mid 40s.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
The Thermaltake DuOrb cooler is pretty good, though it's a bit on the loud side. Get the second gen with automatic fan speed control for quieter operation. It cools the 4800 series beautifully. My 4850 was hitting the high 80s with stock cooler; with DuOrb it maxes out at mid 40s.

4850 makes weak sauce heat in comparison. :sneaky: