Question After updating Win10 Pro 64-Bit to 20H2: What is this 1.14GB update a day later? - SOLVED

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
?????? !

Didn't even require a reboot, I suspect some Telementary Crap ?

My Win 10 Ver-2004 was totally updated with a backup image before I did this (DOS Boot Ghost or a Win Boot Macrium on a bootable Fat32 32GB thumb).

Approx 18 mins to over-write and recover your system ;o)

Last edited:

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
That's odd!!! Never heard of that happening before. So far I've upgraded 2 machines and didn't see that.

Do you have an update number or KB that it's associated with?

It could be an older update or group that wasn't installed before for some reason and it finally picked it up? Not sure. I'll watch for this when I upgrade the next laptop I'm testing this week and report back if I see it.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
I searched in Update history and did not see anything KB referencing this download - I wonder if when I did a Full Disk cleanup, including Delivery Optimized files after updating to v20H2 that it deleted the contents of $WINRE_BACKUP_PARTITION.MARKER partition, then when my OS polled MS on the next update interval it downloaded a Win10 v20H2 WINRE file to that partition ?

I run BandWidthMeter Pro, so I have a good idea when my system is downloading and uploading.

Running a Full Disk CleanUp after this download did not pickup Delivery Optimized files to be deleted.

The occupied volume on my C drive did not change - Makes me wonder if the small Win10 20H2 update was not a prelude to overwrite the system with sneeky MS telemetry files as there is no KB incident?

If it were not for BandWidthMeter Pro this stealth MS interaction would go unoticed.

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I just updated one of my virtual machines to 20H2 a few minutes ago. It restarted during the installation, but was otherwise straightforward and I didn't have any problems at all.

I recall that version 2004 did do a cumulative update yesterday before the new version was downloaded and made available. However, it is possible that was a coincidence as I hadn't run that particular VM in about 2 weeks so it hadn't updated in that time.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
This is NUTS:

Here we go again except I followed it this time:

2020-10 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4580364)

WTF! An intensive install demands 2 reboots and I don't see any reference to KB4580364 in View update history.

However: I see it and KB4580419 in Uninstall an update.

We have absolutely no control of our system anymore Date 10/30/2020.

This all started with the Feature Update to Windows 10 20H2 via Enablement Package (KB4562830) on Oct 23rd which doesn't show the KB in View update History.

I have to look at what these hidden View update history KB's in Uninstall an update are about ?

In the mean time, I keep clicking on PC Settings/Update and Security/Check for Updates.

Another 69.2 MB's of Delivery Optimized Files which I will Disk Cleanup.

CRAP !!!!!!

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Win10 requires more attention then Win7 ever did and I hate reading it's endless GUI navigation that tells you nothing.

Ran a Defender quick scan after this shit and Win lights up like a Xmas Tree saying Defender has skipped items, as if I didn't know. Then I have to click again to clear Notifications - Hate this never ending Crap ;o(

Next there will be RGB flashing all over the screen and believe it or not the capacity in C: drive has not changed.

I've been on Win 10 64-Bit Pro for a number of years, hated it then and I hate it more now then ever.

Win7 and 2000 NT Server was neat and comprehensible compared to this crap.

Open OutLook to read my mail and get a "Welcome to New Search" screen - I don't need this crap - Did NOT ask for it and don't want it - Leave me alone !

Seems to me MS is intentionally screwing with my detached System Images and Registry Backups with this constant silent harassment.

I'm thinking of going back to Linux but I'm getting too old and crabby to try it again - LOL

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I installed 2004 64-bit on my mining rig, onto a 128GB SATA M.2 SSD (a cheap one). Somehow, even though mining, to my knowledge, doesn't eat up disk space, the SSD is nearly full somehow.

The update to 20H2 showed up. I clicked it, it downloaded and installed suspiciously quickly, and also rebooted, but didn't go through the long update process, and doesn't seem to have updated, and it has since disappeared from the options in Windows Update. I don't get it. I haven't checked the SSD.

I recently made a Kaspersky Offline scanner USB, maybe I should use that and see if I have any "nasties" on that SSD. Then manually clean it, if possible, and install the 20H2 upgrade.

Edit: Oh, I forgot. To make room in the virtual memory for the 5x 6GB GPU's address space, I increased the size of the pagefile to 64GB, maybe that's what's taking most of the space on the SSD. Plus 30-40GB for the OS. Yeah, that's probably it, probably not a virus. But maybe that's also preventing me from doing the 20H2 Upgrade successfully through WU.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I installed 2004 64-bit on my mining rig, onto a 128GB SATA M.2 SSD (a cheap one). Somehow, even though mining, to my knowledge, doesn't eat up disk space, the SSD is nearly full somehow.

The update to 20H2 showed up. I clicked it, it downloaded and installed suspiciously quickly, and also rebooted, but didn't go through the long update process, and doesn't seem to have updated, and it has since disappeared from the options in Windows Update. I don't get it. I haven't checked the SSD.

I recently made a Kaspersky Offline scanner USB, maybe I should use that and see if I have any "nasties" on that SSD. Then manually clean it, if possible, and install the 20H2 upgrade.

Edit: Oh, I forgot. To make room in the virtual memory for the 5x 6GB GPU's address space, I increased the size of the pagefile to 64GB, maybe that's what's taking most of the space on the SSD. Plus 30-40GB for the OS. Yeah, that's probably it, probably not a virus. But maybe that's also preventing me from doing the 20H2 Upgrade successfully through WU.

You could always install a second cheapo SSD in the box and direct the page file to it (if not permanently, then at least temporarily until the 20H2 update processes). If you do it, though, you might leave it for a day or two until the cumulative update shows up ( @Z15CAM just got his a little early and MS just forced the install like they randomly do). It actually took me longer to download and install the cumulative update than it did to download and install 20H2).

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Larry, Note this on the WinX 20H2 update regarding Defender and Notifications:

[taskhostw.exe ERROR running Defender on WinX v20H2].TXT

"Controlled folder access blocks taskhostw.exe from making changes to memory" Windows Defender reports this error.

This is caused by a new feature in Windows 10 20H2 - Controlled Folder Access, while this feature will be a great plus in Windows, it is currently very buggy, I would turn off this feature until it matures:
Open Windows Defender Security Center:

Go to Virus & threat protection.
Under Ransomware protection, click on Manage ransomware protection.
Now turned OFF the Controlled folder access

This will end Notifications of "taskhostw.exe" failure when Defender is run.

Win 10 is buggy as HELL !

Believe I got the WinX 20H2 under control and made a Macrium Reflect Image to a thumb ?

The 20H4 update increased the over volume over the 2004 version on my C: drive by .2 GB's. I went from 29.2 Gb's to 29.4 Gb's on my C boot drive.

Last edited: