After Impeachment, Dems should win Pres in 2020 if they use the tagline "Bring back dignity to the White House"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Edit: And btw, the lastest polls I believe, are showing that support among the voters for impeachment is actually decreasing, probably because the Republicans are very effectively muddying the waters about what really happened, and ruthlessly attaching the witnesses at the hearing.

Everything changes when the House presents their case to the Senate. The rules of engagement are very different. The GOP can't play their usual games. I figure Roberts doesn't want to be the guy who let it turn into a circus when he has the power to prevent it, which he largely will. The case is utterly damning & there's nothing to be said to justify Trump's actions at all. The GOP will almost certainly let him off the hook but they'll have to expose themselves as craven liars & sycophants to do it. Trump constantly changing his story won't make it easy for them, either.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Everything changes when the House presents their case to the Senate. The rules of engagement are very different. The GOP can't play their usual games. I figure Roberts doesn't want to be the guy who let it turn into a circus when he has the power to prevent it, which he largely will. The case is utterly damning & there's nothing to be said to justify Trump's actions at all. The GOP will almost certainly let him off the hook but they'll have to expose themselves as craven liars & sycophants to do it. Trump constantly changing his story won't make it easy for them, either.
That may be true. The point is though, what will it really accomplish. Trump will certainly not be removed by the Senate. There is zero chance. And it certainly will not change the support of his 35 to 40 percent base. So all it will take is another 10% (less actually, because he can be re-elected without winning the popular vote) who simply cannot accept the policies of the Democratic nominee to turn the election to Trump. That is why I think it is critical for the Dems to nominate someone with at least somewhat moderate policies, so as not to alienate the undecided voters.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That may be true. The point is though, what will it really accomplish. Trump will certainly not be removed by the Senate. There is zero chance. And it certainly will not change the support of his 35 to 40 percent base. So all it will take is another 10% (less actually, because he can be re-elected without winning the popular vote) who simply cannot accept the policies of the Democratic nominee to turn the election to Trump. That is why I think it is critical for the Dems to nominate someone with at least somewhat moderate policies, so as not to alienate the undecided voters.

It's not about the eventual Dem nominee. Dems have a moral obligation & a Constitutional duty to impeach Trump. They are compelled to act against Trump's criminality. It's really just that simple. Failure to impeach would make them cravenly complicit. If the GOP wants to wear that into the election they're free to do so.

We can't have this. We can't have a President who sees himself as above the Law.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
It's not about the eventual Dem nominee. Dems have a moral obligation & a Constitutional duty to impeach Trump. They are compelled to act against Trump's criminality. It's really just that simple. Failure to impeach would make them cravenly complicit. If the GOP wants to wear that into the election they're free to do so.

We can't have this. We can't have a President who sees himself as above the Law.
Well, it *is* all about winning the next election, because certainly that is the only way to remove Trump.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Well, it *is* all about winning the next election, because certainly that is the only way to remove Trump.

We'll offer a clear choice. The Dem candidate won't be a habitual criminal & an outright disgrace.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
"It's the economy, stupid"

Biggest factor will be the economy.

2nd Biggest will be who the Dems pick. They need to go more moderate - but not stupid moderate like Biden... so... tough choice. Either way, I'm sure dems have this in the bag - no need to go in on election day ;)

WRONG!

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
And 400lb obese hackers living in their parent's basement.

I think we can stop with Russia :D

You mean this guy?

nerd_smoking.JPG