Question After clicking on Windows icon, half of screen is displayed. Then small pause. Then the rest are displayed.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Hi, I have encountered some strange behavior while using Windows 10. Not sure if it is software or hardware issues. Usually when I pressed the Windows icon at the lower left corner, a bunch of things showed up immediately. However, for the past three days, Windows displayed half of those things, paused for about a second before displaying the remaining. What kind of issue is this? I have 2 months of experience using Windows 10 laptops but never encountered such issue. For this DIY workstation, I have encountered this issue several times even I reinstalled Windows. My computer consists of i9-9900K, DDR4-3200CL14 Trident Z RAM, Samsung 970 EVO SSD. All highest end components. Before this happened, I had experienced electric shock perhaps static electricity a few times when touching the metal frame of my Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2 case and the Nocta NH-D15S heatsink. If I recall correctly, I think I saw sparks. I worry that such incidents might have caused such system instability. Do you think this could be the cause? Did I damage the SSD, RAM and or motherboard? I am in Canada. The temperature these days is between few degrees to -15c.

Last edited:

Drassx

Dec 5, 2018
I'm from warmer much more humid climates(FL), so my dad(as an electronics technician at the time) told me shocking components wasn't anything i had to really worry about, just try to ground myself but it prolly wouldn't matter. but also i learned from him when he lived in PA it was a real concern especially during the winter so I would have some concern there. However i would first try using the "sfc /scannow" command in command prompt or better yet do an in-place upgrade(from media created via the windows media creation tool) , so you can either fix the software issue with windows(yes, ive seen and fixed issues with windows using these methods that have had similar symptoms) or move on to it being hardware. Good luck hope this helps.