Question Advise for 3900x CPU Cooler

kawzman

Jun 23, 2011
I’ve done lots of Googling and forum thread reading and I’ve hit a roadblock with my new rig build; CPU cooling. My rig build can be viewed here...https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NwFfb8.

I’m going air cooling and I’m not going to OC. The safe option would be the NH-D15 or NH-U12S Chromax Black. I like that Noctua finally provides a non-tan/brown option but I was hoping to get a bling cooler with some addressable RGB, but, you know, Noctua doesn’t do RGB. Yeah, I hear the eye rolls, but I want to pimp my ride.

I looked at the specs for some RGB coolers (below) but I have doubts they’ll keep the 3900x in check temp-wise.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Cooler Master MA610P
Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M

Thoughts? Thanks for the support as always!

Last edited:

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
If you're not overclocking, any of those would perfectly suit your needs. Right now my 3900x is cooled by a Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct, which is basically on the level of those you listed and my temperatures are great - around room temp at idle, high 60s to low 70s under heavy load. I've never seen it crest 74c. Granted I'm using two EK Meltemis on it for push/pull but they don't make a huge difference.

charlietee

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2001

As far as I am concerned the "big pimpin" award goes hands down the MA410M...Have never looked at RGB coolers but it looks pretty bad ass to me...really like the temperature probe...adds functionality to the cool factor.

I just bought the Be Quiet Dark Rock TF...No RGB but it looks pretty bad ass.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 26

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The issue with that big BeQuiet cooler is access to the memory. It limits memory height, and you have to remove the cooler to access the memory on many mobos. But otherwise I have heard good things about it. MUCH lower profile than some of the larger tower coolers.

charlietee

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2001
Things changed for me when I started drilling a hole to fit a 120m/m fan in the motherboard tray and a rounded square in the right side cover so the fan would blow on the back of the motherboard. Found just this case mod alone helped me slow down the impressive collection of motherboards, processors and memory modules that ended up in the "cooked bin" shall we say. Helped me achieve near danger zone overclocks with a higher degree of stability.

Enter the Cooler Master Gemini series top down air cooler. By then my cases looked like swiss cheese. 92m/m, 120m/m fans everywhere I could fit them. The top down Gemini with a 140m/m fan blowing directly on the front of the motherboard and a 120 or 140 blowing on the back really had profound results on my overclocked stuffs stability.

Had reservations about the Noctua TD cooler because of the looks. If they would have included it in the cromax.black series I would own one instead of the bequiet. TD coolers blow air straight down on the PCie NVMe slot and memory slots. A Corsair MP600 idles at 28 to 29 degrees with a 74 degree ambient temperature.

I will get around to hot rodding the box once I get a decent video card. Rumor control has it that the memory I have does not have a temp sensor. But one thing I know for sure. It will run as cool as can be expected with a air cooling solution. The teamgroup memory I am using fits easily in the 2 and 4 slots. It looks like another set will just barely fit.

Now they sell cases that my swiss cheese cases probably flow like having a banana stuffed in your tail pipe.

Of the three coolers you have listed "kawzman" the Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M is in a different league compared to the other 2 you are considering. Probably be a good idea to check out some of the other top of the line air cooling solutions with RGB. I certainly would not limit my choice to one specific manufacturer.

Nice parts list by the way...no that green hue around me is not envy...well maybe just a wee bit.

Last edited:

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
I’ve done lots of Googling and forum thread reading and I’ve hit a roadblock with my new rig build; CPU cooling. My rig build can be viewed here...https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NwFfb8.

I’m going air cooling and I’m not going to OC. The safe option would be the NH-D15 or NH-U12S Chromax Black. I like that Noctua finally provides a non-tan/brown option but I was hoping to get a bling cooler with some addressable RGB, but, you know, Noctua doesn’t do RGB. Yeah, I hear the eye rolls, but I want to pimp my ride.

I looked at the specs for some RGB coolers (below) but I have doubts they’ll keep the 3900x in check temp-wise.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Cooler Master MA610P

Thoughts? Thanks for the support as always!

Those coolers are HUGE step down from an NH-D15. Their is no comparison in quality. I would try to figure out a way to just change the fans on the Noctua to your liking.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
As far as I am concerned the "big pimpin" award goes hands down the MA410M...Have never looked at RGB coolers but it looks pretty bad ass to me...really like the temperature probe...adds functionality to the cool factor.

I just bought the Be Quiet Dark Rock TF...No RGB but it looks pretty bad ass.

I like downdraft coolers. Looks really good.

thor23

Jul 13, 2019
Those coolers are HUGE step down from an NH-D15. Their is no comparison in quality. I would try to figure out a way to just change the fans on the Noctua to your liking.

They're not much of a step down if they have a noctua fan. For the OP I would get the 212 RGB and a second black Noctua 120mm fan to put on the other side of the 212 heatsink. That will keep the aesthetic and give you awesome cooling.