Advice On New Laptop Under $425 or so

jvivlemore

Jan 14, 2011
I'm looking to invest in a new laptop and would like to avoid online auctions and area list sites (didn't want to name just in case i can't).

I currently have a 2.8ghz Pentium 4 Dell Inspiron 6000. I run a DJ program for playing audio and also Photoshop 7 on that laptop. They both run perfectly fine but the DJ program has issues over long periods of use from time to time and can freeze up. I need something faster and just newer. I think my laptop is 5+ years old.

I don't know much about how to compare a single core processor to a dual, etc to compare speeds, etc.

I was looking at this one at BB which I know is probably overpriced but it looks great (really like the Toshiba carbon fiber type look). I did notice it doesn't have HDMI which most seem to have nowdays though.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+...PTOP&cp=1&lp=5

Any thoughts?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Your example laptop is probably 4x faster than the one your using due to the advancements in cpu technology alone.

As far as the hdmi thing goes....It's a nice feature to have but on the other hand if you don't think you'd use it anyways it's not something to dwell on.

I'd suggest going and getting a hands on feel for it if your interested in it. Bestbuy for the most part doesn't strap them down so you can pick them up etc. Keyboards and build quality very alot so best to get some hands on to see if it feels good to you.

jvivlemore

Jan 14, 2011

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

I looked at this one a couple of days ago. It's nice but it's more of a rather large netbook than a laptop as far as the cpu/gpu goes. It's not bad but power to $'s it's kinda weak to me.

The gateway I don't think I'd consider it at all. Build quality is most likely better on the Toshiba and the specs are kinda weak.

I purchased this one at office depot a couple days ago when it was on sale for $449 but didn't open it up yet. Got the last one and kinda looking around to see if I can find something better for the price before I break the seal and am stuck with an exchange only.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...14-42U-Laptop/

I don't remember seeing this one when I was at office depot but it may be worth a look at. Similar specs to the Toshiba but is cheaper also.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...ptop-Computer/

jvivlemore

Jan 14, 2011
@Ken - Thanks! FYI, I'm using the laptop now so figured I'd get some specs for you. I was WRONG. This is a Pentium 4 1.5ghz with 512mb of RAM.

jvivlemore

Jan 14, 2011
Ken, I also have someone locally wanting to sell a 2006ish Macbook with Dual 2.0ghz processor and 1gb of RAM with 80GB Hard Drive. He asked me to make an offer after telling him I didn't wanna spend $400 (his asking on it) considering what I can get on the PC side with that right now.

Any thoughts? I have an I-Mac and know they cost more than PC Laptops but if I can get him down quite a bit and save some money I'd definitely consider it.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Your current one is even more sucky it looks like then.

I guess the only downside on the Macbook if you did strike a deal with him would be as is no warranty....Apple does make some nice hardware but nothing lasts forever.

I guess you would have to figure out if saving the bucks would be worth no warranty.

jvivlemore

Jan 14, 2011
I just spoke with him. He wants as close to $400 as possible so I wouldn't save much.

Do you know much about the specs to compare the performance of each side by side? Obviously the Toshiba has a lot more RAM but the processors (to me) are almost indentical even though there's a big gap in the year they were made.

I know MAC makes a good product but it's also very $$$.

What would you do :) ?

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
That Macbook has a Core Duo. The Toshiba you linked is a Arrandale based Pentium. I'm guessing that the Arrandale part is 20-40% faster on the CPU.

If you get the Gateway one, it'll be roughly on par to 5-10% faster than the Macbook, and the E-350 one is slower and the price isn't better.

The Office Depot ones seem a little too pricey, and the i3 based one you'll have to pay $100 extra.

I like the Toshiba for $400. The extra amount of RAM would be worth it. 1GB is too little. The others are either too expensive or underpowered for same $.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Not to throw a curveball but I found this one as well. I heard it's around $400 and seems to have better video but the processor is slower on paper. Thoughts?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/lenovo-thinkpad-x120e-review/

Price wise if you kept reading you would have seen this " There entry level $399 X120e will have a single-core E-240 CPU, 1GB of RAM, and three-cell battery " which wouldn't give you a whole lotta power.

The funny thing about your friends Macbook is he'll most likely get his asking price for it....For some strange reason the Apple products seem to hold value for a longer time.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
yeh i got a macbook 2007 core2duo 2.13ghz with 4gb ram/120gb drive. i offered it here for $350 but nobody really wanted it. so i think i'll slap a 64gb ssd in it and it will be faster at many things than a hard drive 2011 macbook

WhiskeyD

Mar 15, 2011
I would definitely go for an i3 processor if you can afford it. You will be amazed at how much faster it is than your Pentium 4. Also, the integrated graphics will be much better.

jvivlemore

Jan 14, 2011
I would definitely go for an i3 processor if you can afford it. You will be amazed at how much faster it is than your Pentium 4. Also, the integrated graphics will be much better.

The Toshiba has the i3 processor I assume right ?

The only other Macbook I found was from an actual friend of mine (the one above was from craigslist). My friend has a Macbook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1ghz with 1gb of Memory. He wants around $450 though so I still think the Toshiba would be the best buy here (no pun intended). I would have NEVER thought Best Buy would actually have a good deal over online!

I'm going to go to Office Depot and Office Max and check their in store models and see if they have any better deals but it sounds like I'll probably buy this Toshiba today or tomorrow from Best Buy unless someone here suggests something otherwise.

Thanks again for all your help!

jvivlemore

Jan 14, 2011
Thanks Ken! Can I borrow your brain while I go shopping today :) ?

I'll report back what I find locally this afternoon after lunch for final thoughts.

jvivlemore

Jan 14, 2011
I found a couple more today. Would you mind comparing these two to that Toshiba from Best Buy please? THANK YOU in advance.

#1) http://www.circuitcity.com/applicati...gan_1150497659

#2) Dell Inspiron 14r, i3-380 for $399 plus tax with FS code at Dell, 2gb ddr3, 250gb drive, 1.3 webcam, Bluetooth

Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
2GB DDR3 Shared Single Channel Memory + 250GB 5400RPM HDD
1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty (Shipping included 24x7 phone support)

DataSafe 2.0 Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
Also Includes
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
Inspiron 14R
Intel® HD Graphics
Dell Wireless 365 Internal Bluetooth (V2.1 + EDR)
Intel®Core™ i3-380M (2.53GHz, 4Threads, 3M cache)
Lithium Ion Battery (6-Cell) – Up to 5 hours, 15 minutes of battery life*
14.0" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™
High Definition Audio 2.2, Support SRS™ Premium Sound
8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) - w/ roxio Burn 1.0
Intel®Centrino® Wireless-N 1000, 802.11 g/n
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0

Here's the Link: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...umber=17967581

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

It looks like it would have more power than one of the intel Pxxxx series of chips. Not sure how build quality is as far as keyboard etc. Did you see any Gateways in person when you looked around at the stores? Graphics wise it would have a little more power than the integrated intels.

jvivlemore

Jan 14, 2011
@Ken - It looks like you replied before I posted the Dell that's out there as well using that i3 processer. I edited the message and added that. I haven't typed on a Gateway but they look pretty boring so can only speak on looks.

Here's the info again:

Dell Inspiron 14r, i3-380 for $399 plus tax with FS code at Dell, 2gb ddr3, 250gb drive, 1.3 webcam, Bluetooth

2GB DDR3 Shared Single Channel Memory + 250GB 5400RPM HDD
Intel® HD Graphics
Dell Wireless 365 Internal Bluetooth (V2.1 + EDR)
Intel®Core™ i3-380M (2.53GHz, 4Threads, 3M cache)
Lithium Ion Battery (6-Cell) – Up to 5 hours, 15 minutes of battery life*
14.0" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™
High Definition Audio 2.2, Support SRS™ Premium Sound
8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) - w/ roxio Burn 1.0
Intel®Centrino® Wireless-N 1000, 802.11 g/n
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
Integrated 10/100 Network Card

Here's the Link: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...umber=17967581

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The specs on the Dell seem kinda soso for the money. 4gb of mem and a larger hard drive would be better....But adding them seems kinda pricey thru dell.

This model should be on display at bestbuy(diff specs) did you happen to look at it when you went? At least you could get a look and feel for it hands on.

jvivlemore

Jan 14, 2011
I didn't see the Dell or Gateway when I went to Best Buy to get hands on with the Toshiba. I saw nothing else in the price range that had a dual core processor so didn't spend too much time looking around. I had to cut my lunch short so never shopped anywhere else either. I'll swing back tomorrow afternoon and see if I can locate this Dell or the Gateway but I don't believe they had either of them. I could be wrong though.

Is your opinion still the Toshiba out of these three then for the $$? FYI, Hard Drive isn't a HUGE issue for me since I'll be using a lot of portable storage for things anyway to take between machines I use at work and home.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Dell 14r with the i3 is a good deal for brand new. You can add more memory yourself if you need it, but it'll be better if it comes with a single 2 gb memory module instead of 2 1 gb modules. If you can check on that.

You can get a lower price on a Dell if you go through their outlet store and get a refurb, particularly when there's a 15% off coupon, which happens pretty regularly. Their refurbs are usually nice and have the same warranty as new.

jvivlemore

Jan 14, 2011
I have experience with the Outlet (I'm actually about to browse that). My last Inspiron actually was a Refurb and is still working. I think I saved $100 or so at the time instead of buying new. I was curious about the memory as well. Normally it's 2 1gb sticks and not 1 2gb stick.

catilley1092

Mar 28, 2011
Don't forget to check out Newegg. They have really good deals at times, many with low cost or free shipping. They sell many notebooks, and stand behind what they sell.

BTW, don't forget the 3 year warranty. Notebooks aren't built like they were 5 years ago (actually, what is?). Square Trade offers 3 year warranties for those type of notebooks at very cheap prices.

Cat