Advice on Mesh Network for Home and Detached Garage

LeatherNeck

Jan 16, 2001
I've been doing some research on this question but can't figure out the best way to do thi. I currently have a TP-Link that provides pretty decent coverage around the home but I'd like to beef that up with a mesh system like Linsys Velop or equivalent.

But I'm also going to be building a detached garage/barn about 200 feet away from the house. I've theorized that I would put a Velop in the far room closest to the exterior wall facing the detached garage but it has an omnidirectional antenna.

The detached garage will eventually be sort of a "man cave" so I don't want to simply purchase a high gain antenna for a laptop when I'm out there. It would be nice to be able to extend my wifi to that garage.

I know I've mentioned Velop but if you have any advice about extenders or repeaters and directional antennas then that would be good. I've got a copule of good Asus and TP-Link wireless routers that can be access points for users in the garage but I need to figure out a way to bridge my main network to the garage. Maybe it's just a matter of two devices that can plug into RJ-45 on the either end of the link that can provide a high speed directional link between a mesh node and the wireless access point in the garage but I'd like some advice.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Conduit and CAT5/6 or fiber if you want 10gbps. Even running fiber should cost under $500. CAT5/6 should be under $200.

Wired backbone is by far the most reliable option. Point to point radios are viable options but at only 200 feet it is far enough to make low end consumer routers not viable without poor speeds and signal dropout, and purpose built products tend to be for 2-10km+ wireless links and would cost more than running a wired backbone over such a short distance.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
You are much better off using some of the devices here ( https://www.data-alliance.net/bridges-pt-to-pt/ ) rather than the Marketing Spin of consumers ""Mesh"".

Real Mesh is much more expensive and needs Management above consumers "pay grade".

Putting an Electric Shovel on a Fiat 500 does not turn it into a Bulldozer. o_O

:cool:

LeatherNeck

Jan 16, 2001
Sorry, but the garage is too distant and around a driveway. My trenchline would be exceedingly difficult to get CAT6.

Any other advice on bridges or extenders. I'm not below consumer grade stuff. It's not that I'm unware that I could spend more but I can't afford a professional grade system. I may look into some of those antennas as a way to bridge two endpoints.

Eric Fazekas

Jun 27, 2017
I use Velop to get Internet to my detached garage. My point-to-point distance is only around 85 feet. The two Velops sit near windows, but in reality probably have to push through brick on both sides. I the detached side, I've placed a POE switch off one of the Velop ports which allows me to have wired connections on the same subnet as my Lorex security camera system so I have two cameras on that building.

I'll mention as an aside, but probably won't make a difference that the three Velops in the house are connected via Cat 6 and the one to the detached is connected wirelessly. My house is about 110 feet from end to end.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I agree, going conduit and CAT 6 (maybe 7) cables would be the most reliable.

Putting an Electric Shovel on a Fiat 500 does not turn it into a Bulldozer. o_O
:cool:
*cough*
3678434438_135cfe44d5.jpg

:D