Advice on asking a girl out.

codehack2

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
OK.. here is the situation. This girl that I went to Highschool with works at the salon where I get my hair cut. She is always very friendly when I go there, but everytime I'm there she is busy cutting hair, so I never really have a chance to get into a conversation with her. Anyway, I'd like to ask her out, but I don't know what the best approach is... he!!, I don't even know if she is seeing anyone.

The way I see it, I have a couple of options...

1) Next time I get my hair cut, ask the stylist doing my hair about her relationship status.
2) Call her out of the blue, make some small talk and ask her out.
3) Try to initiate some conversation next time I see her at the salon and hope it goes somewhere.

If it makes any difference, we do know each other a bit. Her parents and mine were freinds (Not close, but good aquintances), she dated one of my freinds in highschool, and I dated one of hers.

Also, I know that she was egaged, but it got called off about 6 months ago.

I feel like attempting a move in this situation is like tap dancing through a mine field, my last few encounters have been so much less complicated. Meet them when I'm out on the town, make some small talk, and ask them out.

Any advice is appreciated.. TIA

CH2

Edited for spelling... thanks jzero :)

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
A saloon that's also a salon?! That's BRILLIANT! Sign me up!

I dunno what to do. If you have a bad breakup you might want to find a new stylist, though....

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
spark up some small conversation when you get a chance.. find out when she gets off work or something (so she wont be busy).. and just ask if you can take her out to dinner

Radiohead

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2001
Yeah have her cut your hair and just strike up a conversation and do a bit of "catching up" w/ her... like what's shes been up to, she seeing anyone :)
Then afterwards just ask if she would like to go out for dinner or coffee and continue w/ the "catch up" conversation...

codehack2

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Have her cut your hair. (Make an appt if necessary)

Nice call B!TCH... The only snag is that I have a regular stylist that I have gone to for the past year (not sure if this would seem obvious/ackward) and I just got my haircut, so that means I have to wait 3 weeks :(

CH2

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Well, if you don't need a hair cut, you could go to the salon, single her out and ask her what her favorite type of shampoo is, buy it, and then ask her what her favorite place to dine out is and if she would like to go there with you.

ajskydiver

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2000

1. While making eye contact, get that look on your face like you've just realized something important.
2. Smile and say something like, "Hi, you seem like a writer/poet/novelist...are you?" or any variation on a writing theme
3. They will say, "Really? Yes actually I am (but not really)..blah blah blah"
4. You reply, "I'd really like to read some of your poetry/stories/etc...<fill in appropriate ask out question>"

If you can't continue a conversation from here...you need a lot more help than anyone here can offer.

This works because ALL women either write ...or think of themselves as someone who writes in some fashion-- journals, diaries, poems, stories, novels, etc. This even works on women who don't actually write anything -- because at some point in their lives, they did...and never gave up the fantasy of "being a writer."

Alternate - Ask a stranger if asking her if she was a writer would be a nice approach...she'll say yes.

~AJ

JeremyJoe

Dec 8, 2000
well if she cuts hair and you see her waiting around ask her to cut your hair and/or just make small talk to her....first thing to do is say "hi" then make small talk like, dont you love the wonderful weather webeen having, what do you think about it, or comment on something unusal like a ring or necklace that stands out, then during conversation ask her if she cuts her boyfriend's hair for free...she will either say yes i do, or no he hates how i cut hair or i dont have a boyfriend...that will get youthe status of her

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
most importantly dont be afraid to fvck up or of rejection, they can smell that and they dont like it....plus the fact she is nothing special*she's a dime a dozen*, your the prize to be won, your doing the interview give it your best shot and if it doesnt work move on to the next.

dave5317

Jun 18, 2001
Approach her and tell her u need haircut.Pay her more and request her to cut ur hair at her house since both ur parents and hers are friends. Then....talk more and get to know her better. Date her when it's time!!!!!!!:)

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Well, if you don't need a hair cut, you could go to the salon, single her out and ask her what her favorite type of shampoo is, buy it, and then ask her what her favorite place to dine out is and if she would like to go there with you.

Thats actually good :D I would go for that, thats smooth :)

Spac3d

codehack2

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: JeremyJoe
during conversation ask her if she cuts her boyfriend's hair for free...she will either say yes i do, or no he hates how i cut hair or i dont have a boyfriend...that will get youthe status of her

Pure genious! Your scratching me right where I itch...

Originally posted by: gigapet
most importantly dont be afraid to fvck up or of rejection, they can smell that and they dont like it....plus the fact she is nothing special*she's a dime a dozen*, your the prize to be won, your doing the interview give it your best shot and if it doesnt work move on to the next.

gigapet... you and I subscribe to the same school of thought here. Confidence is the biggest selling point you can have in your corner.

Keep it coming guys! Lots of good stuff here.

CH2

codehack2

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Don't start the conversation with....

"'Sup, bitch?"

amish ;)

I was under the asumption that this was OK, as long as it was followed by

"Wanna get some BBQ and get busy?"

CH2

JeremyJoe

Dec 8, 2000
what is said above if she turns you down jsut think of 3 explainations why SHE has a problem like, haircutting is the only thing she will ever do right, she hates [blank] guys (blank is tall or short or skinny or plesently plump a characteristic about you), and lastly she is crazy and can never be trusted with sissors around your delicate neck...then just move on to the next girl cause falling for just one is never good and you will focus all of your attention on her, making the let down more personal instead of what it should mean to you - just another girl where there are millions more that will like you.

cliff note: never focus on one girl, key point here and dont let it get to you if there is a negative answer, just turn it into a positve one that now you can just move on to the next girl of your dreams without wasting more time than nessasary

-sorry just really bored at work

codehack2

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: JeremyJoe
what is said above if she turns you down jsut think of 3 explainations why SHE has a problem like, haircutting is the only thing she will ever do right, she hates [blank] guys (blank is tall or short or skinny or plesently plump a characteristic about you), and lastly she is crazy and can never be trusted with sissors around your delicate neck...then just move on to the next girl cause falling for just one is never good and you will focus all of your attention on her, making the let down more personal instead of what it should mean to you - just another girl where there are millions more that will like you.

cliff note: never focus on one girl, key point here and dont let it get to you if there is a negative answer, just turn it into a positve one that now you can just move on to the next girl of your dreams without wasting more time than nessasary

-sorry just really bored at work
Great advice! I'm on the same page with you... I've known this girl casually off and on for a while and from what I can tell, she seems really down to earth, which is a drastic departure from what I usually date (i.e. the complete high maintenance package). My whole goal in this is to 1) find out her current status and 2) if she decides she is not interested, not lose my current stylist because she does a really great job. :) I'm honestly not worried about getting rejected, because if she is single, I don't think that she will. I place myself in the top 10% of available guys out there... I'm in my mid/early 20's... I have a great career... I keep myself in great shape... for a single dude, I do a good job of dressing myself... and on top of that I'm pretty good looking.

CH2

lizium

Jul 17, 2002
"Hey baby wanna go at it right now?" Works for me everytime, but then again women cant resist me hehe.
rolleye.gif