Advice on adding memory to Dell Vostro 460

RobS10

Feb 24, 2010
I recently bought a "stripped" Vostro 460. I only ordered 2 GB of memory since I just couldn't see paying $60 more to add 2 GB at the time of sale. The MoBo has 2 X1 GB sticks installed with 2 RAM slots open.

I looked on Dell's website for memoty "upgrades" to see what the specs. were, but the system appeares to be too new. Tech support said it takes 240 pin 1333MHz DDR3 PC-3 10600.

Dell "Certified" seems to be rediculously priced...a single 4GB stick is $270! Uh, no ;-).

The tech at ProSupport found 8 GB (2X 4GB) of "regular" Dell memory in his "internal" system, since Dell's website does not show any memory specifically for the Vostro 460. It runs $130.00, still a little high (by about $40 over GSkill) but guaranteed by Dell to fit my board and work with my system. Also becomes part of my Dell warranty. I don't think I really need to add 8GB, but he said the 2X4GB sticks were only $10 cheaper...go figure. The only aftermarket memory Dell sells really is Corsair at roughly $15/GB.

I can't find latency timings for the OEM memory in my system to match up to. If I decide on aftermarket memory, does it matter? If I add 4 GB (2X2)aftermarket sticks, will they work OK with the 2 GB of OEM? Don't know if I really need 8GB at this time.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Is it a Windows 7 32or 64-bit OS?
Have you run any programs that identify your hardware?

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010
2x2g memory sticks, 1333mhz 9/9/9/24 should work just fine. I'm running a Vostro 460 at work and couldn't bring myself to pay the ~$400 dollars to upgrade from 4gig->12gig ram for our test machine, and ended up buying a 2x4gig Mushkin Silverline kit. It's a basic 1333 mhz and 9/9/9/24 dual channel kit, popped it in and it worked right of the bat. Mind you, I did a full check on the memory before I popped it in.

As far as I know, you can't set the timings in the bios anyways, so it will just default to whatever's already set in the bios (probably the stock 1333 + 9/9/9/24).

RobS10

Feb 24, 2010
Is it a Windows 7 32or 64-bit OS?
Have you run any programs that identify your hardware?
Forgot to mention Windows 64 bit OS. I ran Belarc Advisor and I believe all it gave for memory specs was DDR3 1333HHz. I took down the seriel # of the memory, but Dell's website came back with zero results for that part. I'll look again (it's at work) Monday if there was any other info in the Belarc report.

RobS10

Feb 24, 2010
2x2g memory sticks, 1333mhz 9/9/9/24 should work just fine. I'm running a Vostro 460 at work and couldn't bring myself to pay the ~$400 dollars to upgrade from 4gig->12gig ram for our test machine, and ended up buying a 2x4gig Mushkin Silverline kit. It's a basic 1333 mhz and 9/9/9/24 dual channel kit, popped it in and it worked right of the bat. Mind you, I did a full check on the memory before I popped it in.

As far as I know, you can't set the timings in the bios anyways, so it will just default to whatever's already set in the bios (probably the stock 1333 + 9/9/9/24).
Yeah, I can't understand why Dell charges so much for memory since they probably buy a truckload at a great price, and with sites like Newegg advertising it so much cheaper. Is it a lot faster somehow or more reliable?

I take it you bought the Mushkin somewhere other than Dell? I see great reviews at Newegg for G.Skill but am just paranoid of it not working for some reason and like the idea of everything under Dell's warranty (just for Dell's "standard" memory, not thte gold plated Certified stuff)

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I can't find latency timings for the OEM memory in my system to match up to. If I decide on aftermarket memory, does it matter?
Yes, if you add memory to the OEM memory, then stay away from performance and overclocking memory product lines. Even if you are going to pull the OEM memory, you'll probably want to stay away from performance memory lines unless they specify default voltage for DDR3 (1.5V).

I would check Ebay. Look for major OEM memory brands such as Micron, Samsung, Hynix, Nanya, and Crucial, or look for DELL memory (i.e. pulled from DELL system). These will all be JEDEC standard timings and voltage, same as what DELL ships in its systems.

Or just go with a Value product line from Corsair, Crucial, or Kingston.

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010
Yeah, I can't understand why Dell charges so much for memory since they probably buy a truckload at a great price, and with sites like Newegg advertising it so much cheaper. Is it a lot faster somehow or more reliable?

I take it you bought the Mushkin somewhere other than Dell? I see great reviews at Newegg for G.Skill but am just paranoid of it not working for some reason and like the idea of everything under Dell's warranty (just for Dell's "standard" memory, not thte gold plated Certified stuff)

From Newegg.ca. The Dell ram is probably of marginally lower quality than aftermarket ram. The big difference is that Dell's tested it with the system already (that is, if you ordered it with the system), so you know it will work. Given that a piece of (quality) ram is known to work with the system already, it will probably "outperform" the ram Dell ships out with its systems. Ram that Dell sells aftermarket is likely of no discernable difference as compared to any other decent quality brand ram of the same specs.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Forgot to mention Windows 64 bit OS. I ran Belarc Advisor and I believe all it gave for memory specs was DDR3 1333HHz. I took down the seriel # of the memory, but Dell's website came back with zero results for that part. I'll look again (it's at work) Monday if there was any other info in the Belarc report.
Run the free SIW, it will tell you the timing and speed of your current memory.
Buy modules of the same speed, timings and 1.5v and you'll be fine.

:colbert: If you play the "let's try 1.65v memory" game you'll be rolling the dice as to whether the memory is compatible with your current setup.

RobS10

Feb 24, 2010
I'll give SIW a try and see what it comes up for RAM specs.

:colbert: If you play the "let's try 1.65v memory" game you'll be rolling the dice as to whether the memory is compatible with your current setup.
That's why I'm here asking questions:).

COPOHawk

Mar 3, 2008
No one gave the OP the right answer. Since this is a non-OC system...and there can be a lot of guesswork involved with different RAM working together...do the following:

1. go to www.crucial.com
2. run the memory advisor tool
3. buy the RAM

I have used Crucial dozens of times in the last few years for customers. Only bad ram twice...

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010
No one gave the OP the right answer. Since this is a non-OC system...and there can be a lot of guesswork involved with different RAM working together...do the following:

1. go to www.crucial.com
3. buy the RAM

I have used Crucial dozens of times in the last few years for customers. Only bad ram twice...

Neat tool. I ran it, and it told me that a Dell Vostro 460 uses 1333 mhz (PC3-10600), 9/9/9/24, 1.5V ram. Pretty much "standard" ram.

RobS10

Feb 24, 2010

1. go to www.crucial.com
3. buy the RAM

The only time I've added RAM to a system was to my old Dell, around 8 years ago. It was Crucial and I never had a problem. I'll run the checker just to confirm Kevinsbain's answer.
Thanks for the tip ;-).

COPOHawk

Mar 3, 2008
Yeah...but keep in mind that the info that crucial gathers includes what manufacturers RAM will work with each other. Believe me, you may get lucky by ordering identical spec RAM from a different manufacturer...but why take a chance?

I have also used 4allmemory.com in the past with decent success...but Crucial.com always seems to be the best price...with lifetime warranty....and great customer service. No...I am not affiliated with them...just good vendor to deal with.

RobS10

Feb 24, 2010

I ran SIW and it said the memory was PC-3 10700. Weird since everything else has said it was PC-3 10600. Maybe a typo generated by SIW? I does list voltage as 1.5. BTW, Widows Defender flagged SIW as malware.

Last edited:

RobS10

Feb 24, 2010
Think I got the right stuff...decided to go with your recommendation of Crucial since they seem to get good reviews everywhere, including me, and they had memory specifically for the Vostro. Just wondering if adding 8GB (2x4) and being done with it for a long time is overkill (with 2x1GB OEM sticks would give me a total of 10GB), or add 4GB for a total of 6GB would be enough. I don't game or run super intensive programs. Just want to speed things up;-)

Last edited:

pawsaremagic

Jan 17, 2020
I recently bought a "stripped" Vostro 460. I only ordered 2 GB of memory since I just couldn't see paying $60 more to add 2 GB at the time of sale. The MoBo has 2 X1 GB sticks installed with 2 RAM slots open.

I looked on Dell's website for memoty "upgrades" to see what the specs. were, but the system appeares to be too new. Tech support said it takes 240 pin 1333MHz DDR3 PC-3 10600.

Dell "Certified" seems to be rediculously priced...a single 4GB stick is $270! Uh, no ;-).

The tech at ProSupport found 8 GB (2X 4GB) of "regular" Dell memory in his "internal" system, since Dell's website does not show any memory specifically for the Vostro 460. It runs $130.00, still a little high (by about $40 over GSkill) but guaranteed by Dell to fit my board and work with my system. Also becomes part of my Dell warranty. I don't think I really need to add 8GB, but he said the 2X4GB sticks were only $10 cheaper...go figure. The only aftermarket memory Dell sells really is Corsair at roughly $15/GB.

I can't find latency timings for the OEM memory in my system to match up to. If I decide on aftermarket memory, does it matter? If I add 4 GB (2X2)aftermarket sticks, will they work OK with the 2 GB of OEM? Don't know if I really need 8GB at this time.
I know this is a old thread but I have mine packed with memory hopefully this link from cpuz still works I will also add photos https://valid.x86.fr/88dcsa
As you can see I pulled the original I5 Processor and replaced it with a I7 but it ran great with the I5
This thing is great because it also has a slot on the board to install a wireless card from a old laptop
The Vostro is running 24 GB of ram and very stable and yea I know it's filthy inside it's going out side in a few minutes to get blown out

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 2
  • s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg