Advice needed

will083031

Jul 26, 2009
Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my current 775 gaming system, I usually play COD MW2- Black OPS, and Homefront but want a system for future games as well like BF3. Nothing really wrong with current system but want a future proof PC, thsnks in advance.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Mainly gaming
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread 750-800.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Mostly from newegg
4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
Doesnt matter on brands
5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Case Coolermaster HAF
6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Not going to overclock
8. What resolution YOU plan on gaming with.
23" monitor 1920-1080
9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
With in 2-3 weeks
10. Don't ask build configuration critique or rating if you are thin skinned.

Have all the issues with sandy Bridge motherboadrs been resolved or would it be safer with a AMD build?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
The Cougar Point chipset problem has already been resolved with the release of the B3 stepping P67/H67 boards. If you're in a hurry to build your rig, get the SB. If you're not in a hurry, you can wait till AMD Bulldozer comes out from June onwards and the prices of SB by then is expected to drop due to competition.

will083031

Jul 26, 2009
OK thanks dma not really in a hurry, just that current pc been freezing in games lately and I have to hold pwr button to reboot system. I don't know if that is I am still using Win Vista. Will a temporary fix be to replace HD and install Win 7?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Very hard to tell that a HDD + Windows 7 upgrade might solve your problem because there can be a lot of reasons why your games freezes. It can be overheating, driver issues and basically anything can and will cause problems.

You could give it a try by doing a fresh install with Windows 7 and latest graphics drivers first. If that does not fix the problem then you can get a HDD afterwards and see if that solves the problem.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
OP, will you be donating the rest of your parts besides the case to another build? If not, it would be helpful if you listed them out. Some things may not need to be upgraded.

will083031

Jul 26, 2009
OP, will you be donating the rest of your parts besides the case to another build? If not, it would be helpful if you listed them out. Some things may not need to be upgraded.

Current system
CPU Intel Q9400@2.66
4gig memory
MB Asus P5Q-EM
HD 250 WD
VC XFX 5770 1GB
PSU Antec truepower 650W

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
^ That's still a reasonable mid-range system, although the PSU is probably the only item listed that I'd move into a new build. Storage is an obvious weak point, so dma0991's suggestion of a new drive & OS re-install might be a starting point before going for the full upgrade.