Advice Needed

Acidheadcracker

Jun 6, 2003
I just finished building my new PC 2 days ago.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Abit K7 400 333FSB
512 DDR PC2700 333mhz
Creative Geforce 3 Ti 200 -- ( needs future upgrade )
Creative SB Live
Seagate Baracuda 60GB 7200 RPM HD
Windows XP SP1

Pretty new to building machines. This machine sometimes hangs on boot and needs to be power cycled to restart it. Often when I try to open an application, it simply does nothing and gives no error messages. CPU Core temp is 43 degrees while idle. Is this too hot?

I've heard that you need to leave a newly built PC turned on for a few days to run the processor in. Questions is: should you just leave the PC turned on or put it doing some repeditive heavy processing?

Or did anybody expierence simular problems? advice welcome...
Thanx in advance

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I would check the device manager in the control panel under systems-hardware for any conflicts. They will appear with yellow or red exclamation marks. If you have any, try uninstalling the device and reinstalling after boot up. I would also try running without your soundcard and using onboard sound if nothing else works.

Acidheadcracker

Jun 6, 2003
Ya i'll try without the sound card when I get home. Don't have any conflicts in device manager so I hope this will help me, cheers

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
And as far as leaving it on goes, the reason why ppl leave a new system on or stress it in the first few days is to see if anything is going to fail so they can RMA it. It would suck if you had a 30 day return window and something failed after 45 days! The rule of thumb with most electronics, if it doesn't fail within the first few weeks it probably won't for quite some time.