Question Advice needed for new build--general purpose and a few games

rocketman4321

Sep 25, 2006
It's beyond time to replace my ancient i5-4670k rig that serves as our home office computer. I will likely keep the new one for at least 5 years--upgrades are not important but don't want to over-limit myself now. Reliability is needed; will not overclock (except as normal for spec'd memory speeds). I'm currently driving dual 4k 60Hz monitors off an HD7800 series card and it mostly works for office and web but I haven't tried any games. Usage is 80+% office/web with a bit of AI/ML (mostly classes/homework so far). I only play Civ and Flight Simulator occasionally--but would like to move to the modern version of FS. Budget is about $1600, but can be a bit flexible.

I'm AMD/Intel agnostic. Two candidate systems:
Intel option -- for this one, I do have access to a Microcenter who has the 13600k for $250.
AMD option -- saves power and heat for what seems like similar performance. Microcenter has a 7900X bundle (with memory and MB) for $600 that would be an alternative. Runs hotter, but my understanding is there's an "eco" mode that would limit that.

Any advice is welcome. A few thoughts/questions:
-- Assuming DDR4 vs DDR5 is similar performance; the step to DDR5 for Intel option is ~$50.
-- I'm struggling with cases and power supplies. Case will sit under the desk, so won't see a window and a solid side is even better. Can't go taller than about 18.5". Wish buttons and ports were on top front, but most seem to be on top. How many fans do I need? Those power supplies seem recommended, but the numbering is confusing.
-- CPU cooler--assuming the included one with the 7700 is OK.
-- Graphics card--how much do I really need? Assuming Flight Sim is the driving case, but I could drop resolution if that made a huge difference. A friend recommended a 3070ti that he uses to drive 3 x 1080p monitors for X-plane; the 6800XT is a placeholder that seems similar performance for a lot less money. Might step up to a 6950XT deal for $650 if I go the Intel route, but that's probably overkill.

Thank you for any help!

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
-- Assuming DDR4 vs DDR5 is similar performance; the step to DDR5 for Intel option is ~$50.
Save your money for other components as the total increase is much more than just $50 when you add the price difference of the MOBO

-- I'm struggling with cases and power supplies.
pcpartpicker.com will give you options based on the components you pick / more accurate power requirements. Personally i keep my PSU options at 850W even though I usually only need about 50% of that for my particular build. The 850's tend to have better warranty terms (10 years) and are sturdy.

-- CPU cooler--assuming the included one with the 7700 is OK.
Not something to skimp on when you're talking about these higher end CPU power requirements. I went with a $45 air cooler for my 12700K build and it's actually a great match. When pushing the CPU to 125W it keeps a good temp of ~55C. The key to it for me is using a graphite pad and I didn't use the fan that comes with it but put on 2 Arctic PWM PST fans instead for redundancy and push/pull airflow.

-- Graphics card--how much do I really need?
I can't answer thus one but, Intel's A770 16GB is only $350 and should work just fine with a FS

Overall though I would just start out with the basics on PCP and go from there. A base system with CPU/RAM/MOBO will probably hit around 300-400W but not use neatly that when idle or surfing the internet.

# of fans is up to you but, I tend to fill every slot possible since more fans means less load / lower speeds / quieter operation and quicker recovery after the system has been under load. I have 6 x 140's on the front/top, 1 x 120 on the back, and 2 x 120's on the CPU. I pick up the Arctic's though in 5-packs on Amazon for ~$40/pack and the nice thing is they daisy chain together and use a single header. This allows for better zone control and cleaner cabling that tucks out of the way easier.

Jul 27, 2020
Might step up to a 6950XT deal for $650 if I go the Intel route, but that's probably overkill.

Thank you for any help!
Yeah, that would be the better choice for flightsims. If you go Intel, better buy the fastest RAM you can coz games want that. If you go AMD, go for 7800X3D but you will wait 3 months or more for that. There's the 7950X3D by end of month but that's $699 plus $650 for 6950XT will blow your budget up to the sky.

I guess your Intel parts list looks better. AMD one has only 750W PSU which I wouldn't recommend for a 6800 XT.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Either one should do the trick. I built my daughter a 7600X system for Christmas with a 6800XT and she loves it. I went with the 7700 and 6800XT and have been happy with it as well. The cooler that comes with the 7700 will actually work fine for most tasks, especially if you undervolt the CPU. Under heavy CPU workloads you could see higher temps, but it still runs fine. My daughter is using the ID Cooling SE226XT on her build and I don't think her CPU gets above 60C during gaming, which is her primary task. I have my 7700 set with a manual 100W PPT (vs 88W stock) and with a 360mm AIO my CPU spends most of its time in the 60s during gaming. One thing to note about the AM5 systems is that they will idle hotter than the Intel. With XMP enabled my 7700 pulls about 40W at idle and even with the 360 AIO it sits around 45C.

My son has the NZXT H510Flow case and it's pretty good. The 6800XT is probably the biggest card you can fit in there.

My daughter has a 750W PSU on her build and it has been fine. I have an 850W on mine. My system peaks around 420W, but I have my 6800XT undervolted and it stays below 200W most of the time while gaming. Stock it will pull around 270W. I would go with the 6800XT over the 3070Ti due to the additional vRAM. Games are already starting to push the limits on the 8-12GB cards.

I have build threads for both my daughter and my build if you are interested.
Daughter's build thread - https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/new-gaming-pc-for-the-upcoming-harry-potter-game.2608664/
Discussion about 3070 vs 6800XT - https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...new-build-hogwarts-legacy-discussion.2608755/
My build thread - https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/new-build-finally.2609994/