advice i gave my gf on getting new car. what do you guys think?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
good point skoorb. good advise. im going to show this thread to her. she wasnt defensive at all when she read my email. she understands the situation she's in and knows it'd be financially wise to keep the altima. but still, she was geting excited at the prospect of getting a new car and i feel bad for "bursting her bubble" and showing her the reality

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Aharami
good point skoorb. good advise. im going to show this thread to her. she wasnt defensive at all when she read my email. she understands the situation she's in and knows it'd be financially wise to keep the altima. but still, she was geting excited at the prospect of getting a new car and i feel bad for "bursting her bubble" and showing her the reality

Why not pick her car up and do a FULL detail and put some STP fuel system cleaner, grey bottle, in the gas tank.

That way it will feal and look like a new car. Leave a note in it for her to find saying something like "I know you want a new car, so I thought I would make this one new for you..." Then sign it something like "Always thinking of you"

Bamm. Shes happy, and I am sure later that night you will also be very happy. :)

Lifer

Banned
Feb 17, 2003
i dunno man... i think i need pics of the gf before i can comment on your advice.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
I always dive my cars until the wheels fall off.

Then I but on new wheels and drive it some more.

It kills me that the average person these days never OWNS a car. They trade them in long before they are paid off. And then repeat.
rolleye.gif

But as a mechanic, I guess I have more options than others may have.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Lifer
i dunno man... i think i need pics of the gf before i can comment on your advice.

haha. check sig for pics. shes in there somewhere

Buttzilla

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
Originally posted by: dabuddha
Good advice. But don't forget it's her money, not yours.

agreed...there's no point in buying a new car if you have one thats running fine.

i needed a car when i finished school. it came down to two cars to choose from...96 audi, perfect condition w/ 35k, for 10k. Or 92 Honda accord w/ 88k for 4k.

i opted for the accord..saved myself 6k and only have to pay 600/year for insurance.

when you have a great career and you got everything you want...then it'd be practicle to by something you like. But as of now you might as well save as much money as you can. My sis drives an altima...its a nice car. By all means it's not a head turner but an accord isn't either, you know what i mean?

my 2cents.

Ninjja

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

Why not pick her car up and do a FULL detail and put some STP fuel system cleaner, grey bottle, in the gas tank.

That way it will feal and look like a new car. Leave a note in it for her to find saying something like "I know you want a new car, so I thought I would make this one new for you..." Then sign it something like "Always thinking of you"

Bamm. Shes happy, and I am sure later that night you will also be very happy. :)

AWWW that's such a cute idea, do it Rak!!

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Yes, the point Skoorb was trying to make points directly TO ME, albeit I make the half the money she does, I drove a perfectly fine '98 Saturn SC2 and traded it in for a Brand NEW 2002 Honda Civic because I felt like I could "handle" it. I could "handle" it, but it was not the best thing for me. About 1 month after I bought the new car, I felt like crap that my fiancee and I did that because I looked at it like this:

Two New 2002 Honda Civics.... after our trade-ins, the $2800 or so in interest, and everything else, were $20,000 EACH. As a young (we were 19 years old) couple making $10/hr, having $40,000 in debt was not smart. Oh, wait a second, we also owed about $8,000 in CC debt, so that's $48,000 in debt.

It has taken me about 1.5 years to turn things around. I told the Honda (this week) and I owe about $4000 in CC debt, as well as opening up a $8,000 used car loan. So I effectively changed my personal debt profile from $24,000 to $12,000 but it has taken a while to do it. Eventually, I want to owe nothing.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Ninjja
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

AWWW that's such a cute idea, do it Rak!!

haha. hey wassup nina!! yea i'd do that but then i might as well get her car repainted cuz she doesnt like the dark green color of her car

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Redhotjrm
Yes, the point Skoorb was trying to make points directly TO ME, albeit I make the half the money she does, I drove a perfectly fine '98 Saturn SC2 and traded it in for a Brand NEW 2002 Honda Civic because I felt like I could "handle" it. I could "handle" it, but it was not the best thing for me. About 1 month after I bought the new car, I felt like crap that my fiancee and I did that because I looked at it like this:

Two New 2002 Honda Civics.... after our trade-ins, the $2800 or so in interest, and everything else, were $20,000 EACH. As a young (we were 19 years old) couple making $10/hr, having $40,000 in debt was not smart. Oh, wait a second, we also owed about $8,000 in CC debt, so that's $48,000 in debt.

It has taken me about 1.5 years to turn things around. I told the Honda (this week) and I owe about $4000 in CC debt, as well as opening up a $8,000 used car loan. So I effectively changed my personal debt profile from $24,000 to $12,000 but it has taken a while to do it. Eventually, I want to owe nothing.

wow! good job man! thats a whole lotta debt. i get to paranoid when im in debt (im in debt right now...for my car and student loans). atleast i pay off my CC bills in full every month...so one less stress there

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
hahaha, rak i think what youre saying is right. but, the thought of getting a new car is exciting and sometimes its enough to make you ignore what you should be doing.

hot cars are awesome. hahaha. but your advice is right.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: maziwanka
hahaha, rak i think what youre saying is right. but, the thought of getting a new car is exciting and sometimes its enough to make you ignore what you should be doing.

yo wassup ronnie. been away from ATOT for a while?
anyways thanks. yea i know ... the thought of getting a new car is awesome. i remember the excitement when i was getting the GTI! but my situation was different cuz my legend was wrecked and i needed a new car to get around.

oh btw. i was thinking of gettin star a Z06...the hotwheels version. what do ya think? :p:D:beer:

Elbryn

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
ask her if she'd rather deal with her parents and their usual griping and advicing on various subjects for that extra year it would take to resave the money spent on a car or if she'd prefer living in a house/condo in that time? then point out cars lose value whereas property doesnt.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think you should voice your opinion and then drop it. If she questions you, just tell her you wanted her to know how you feel, and that you're not going to mention it again unless she wants your input.

Then I'd let her do whatever she wants.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
Originally posted by: maziwanka

yo wassup ronnie. been away from ATOT for a while?
anyways thanks. yea i know ... the thought of getting a new car is awesome. i remember the excitement when i was getting the GTI! but my situation was different cuz my legend was wrecked and i needed a new car to get around.

oh btw. i was thinking of gettin star a Z06...the hotwheels version. what do ya think? :p:D:beer:

hahahahah. that is definately the hottest hot wheel out there hahaha

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: dirtboy
I think you should voice your opinion and then drop it. If she questions you, just tell her you wanted her to know how you feel, and that you're not going to mention it again unless she wants your input.

OP: Don't let her get screwed though.

You gave the "correct" advice, and I wouldn't push it any more unless she asks questions.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Buttzilla
Originally posted by: dabuddha
Good advice. But don't forget it's her money, not yours.

agreed...there's no point in buying a new car if you have one thats running fine.

i needed a car when i finished school. it came down to two cars to choose from...96 audi, perfect condition w/ 35k, for 10k. Or 92 Honda accord w/ 88k for 4k.

i opted for the accord..saved myself 6k and only have to pay 600/year for insurance.
Saved yourself only $6k? Hah, I was actually thinking about a mid to late 90's audi until I started reading the consumer reviews on them. My God are they are unforgiving. Literally half of the people (for a 98 and I doubt a 96 is any better) say that they won't buy another one and that the things, while meticulously taken care of, quite simply fall apart.

I guess it depends how serious their relationship is. Though not married if they are likely to be in the future her mistakes now will cost him going down the road, so it's perfectly understandable to want to really harp on an issue, if he believes in it. Dropping it after one giving of advice I'd do for a friend, but in a serious girlfriend I'd stay on it :)

Nanotech

Mar 10, 2004
Sound advice, if nothing else at least try and convince her to invest a couple g's before buying a new car b/c if she does that now and puts it in an IRA that will be worth Millions when she is old enough to take it out.

Once she buys a new car it will be tough to put any away anywhere especially if she has rent....

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Thegonagle
Originally posted by: dirtboy

OP: Don't let her get screwed though.

You gave the "correct" advice, and I wouldn't push it any more unless she asks questions.

oh i wont let her get screwed. thats why if she does decide to get a car...im gonna be the one talkin to the dealers...with her present ofcourse. and i doubt she's gonna want to buy a new car after seeing all this good advice on ATOT. she knows im not out to ruin her life and that im only looking out for her well being. even after all this...if she still hates her current car enuff to want a new car...i'll support her by getting her the best deal possible. but hopefully that wont be necessary

thanks u guys for some pointers that i missed in my email to her. she'll definately appreciate so many of you chiming in. i certainly do