Advice for a 1st time flier....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: TechHead87

One other question: how often is luggage lost? I dont want to pack my good clothes, then have someone "lose" them and leave me with nothing when I arrive...

I've never had anything lost or delayed, but I don't fly a lot. It would be a good idea to pack a change of clothes in your carry on in case your luggage does end up in limbo for a day.

You probably aren't going to need any drugs unless you are afraid the plane's going to crash or something. Personally, I kind of enjoy the parts where there is turbulence. It creates a little bit of interest on the flight.

Check online, but I think you can have liquids as long as the container is smaller than 3 oz.

TechHead87

Sep 18, 2004
Originally posted by: rockyct
Originally posted by: TechHead87

One other question: how often is luggage lost? I dont want to pack my good clothes, then have someone "lose" them and leave me with nothing when I arrive...

I've never had anything lost or delayed, but I don't fly a lot. It would be a good idea to pack a change of clothes in your carry on in case your luggage does end up in limbo for a day.

You probably aren't going to need any drugs unless you are afraid the plane's going to crash or something. Personally, I kind of enjoy the parts where there is turbulence. It creates a little bit of interest on the flight.

Check online, but I think you can have liquids as long as the container is smaller than 3 oz.

HA! Little bit of interest...more like a little bit of wet pants for me...

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
First class is worth it for long hauls, IMHO.

As for first time flying, I think it's a rush at takeoff and landing with hours of boredom in between

What? It costs many times more to fly 1st class to Taiwan than say coach. It's only worth it if you have $$ and if the flight is on a plane no smaller than a 757.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
I wouldn't take anything, it makes your mouth dry and just not feeling too great. The last time I got motion sickness was in pretty rough seas, even then if you can just close your eyes and lie down you'll be fine, I can't imagine getting sick on a plane as you just don't feel much movement at all.

There are these patches you can get via prescription, but again the side effects are a negative.

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: aphex
Originally posted by: Farang
You really don't need motion sickness pills. If you are going to get pills, or think you will be afraid, just get some Xanax. It'll knock you out and you won't have a care in the world.

But you'd have to be really, really sensitive to have to get motion sickness. Most of the flight is very smooth with turbulence at times, but the turbulence is like riding in a car on a dirt road and generally it doesn't last too long.

We flew from Switzerland to Miami about two weeks ago, 11.5 hours straight. About an hour into the flight i pissed on my leg in the bathroom when we hit a quick patch of turbulence... that sucked... :( lol... wasn't totally dry until about 2 hours later :beer:

You just need a longer trouser snake....on a plane.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
If you are doing an international flight (longer than 7h) on a plane like the A340 or Boeing 747, then its a HUGE difference between first class and coach. The seats turn into beds, you get 5 course meal, like in a fancy restaurant, there is more room to move around, etc... its just great. You don't feel tired at all.

Of course, on the down side, it costs $$$$.

For flying itself, always pack some clothes into carry-on luggage (but not any liquid or aerosol items like toothpaste, hairspray, gel, etc...). If you ate just before the flight, then take some motion sickness pills.

Oh, and don't fly Air Canada, ever.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Enjoy the flight and stop worrying. Get excited about it rather than fretting over it. Make sure to get a window seat so you can enjoy the views.

Take along reading material and wear comfortable cotton clothing. Shorts if you get hot easy, long pants and a long sleeve shirt if you get cold easy.

Wear sneakers. Flying involves long walks in airports and sneakers breathe better for the long time you'll be sitting with them on.

Planes aren't nearly as bad as boats for motion sickness. Getting sick on boats does NOT mean you'll get sick on a plane.

Treat it like an adventure. I remember my first time flying and my face was glued to the window for most of the flight.

TechHead87

Sep 18, 2004
OK, tell me if this is too much to be in a carry-on bag:

1 Pair of jeans (rolled up to save space)
2 t-shirts
socks/underwear (3 pair each..rolled up to save space)
2 books
vasaline (not bringing lotion...and i get ashy very easily [see avatar])

Bag probably isn't 25lbs...

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
All that matters is the physical size of the bag, not what's in it (with the obvious exception of banned items).

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
remember gum. Always bring gum. Especially if your ears pop when riding in elevators of tall buildings, you're going to want to be chewing gum for the entire duration of the take-off and landing procedures. This includes flying all the way up to the flight deck, and descending from it for the landing procedure.
sometimes the pressure changes can make your ears hurt a little, especially if you have any stuffed sinuses at the time. Or a general cold.
For the most part your ears are fine but sometimes there may be a little discomfort. With gum, no worries. :)