Advice/Experience on buying a Tiffany engagement ring

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Have her watch the movie Blood Diamond and then ask her if she still wants one.

Thank God my wife specifically said she didn't want a diamond ring :)

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Op, just to make sure you are aware... There is a setting type called a "Tiffany setting" which doesn't mean it comes from Tiffany, they were just the first company to create it many many years ago.

If your girlfriend wants a Tiffany setting you can get those almost anywhere. They are one of the most popular setting types. Again, you don't have to go to Tiffany to get a Tiffany Setting, it is simply a description of the setting type.

If your girlfriend wants a setting from Tiffany that is a different story. Have a serious discussion with her about it.

Most women would prefer a larger, possibly better cut stone from a regular jeweler than a smaller stone from Tiffany. Forget about customer service. You are paying a 50-80% markup for the name. You will likely not talk to the jeweler again after your purchase. Research diamonds on your own and go look at them at any jeweler. Look at a 100 diamonds before you choose one. Learn how cut affects light output and also how a well cut 1 carat stone can look larger than a poorly cut 1.5 carat stone.

I bought my stone online from an online jeweler after having spent 6 months researching stones. I even bought a jewelers loupe to look at stones. The site I bought from provides 3d models of every stone as well as Isee2 scans, IdealScope, Sarin scans, BrillianceScope and H&A checks. You get far more for your money online.

Good luck.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
OP, why does it HAVE to tiffany's? You can probably get the same exact ring from blue nile for like 60% of the price. But whatever you do, go talk to a local jeweler. I went into Bailey Banks and Biddle (a step down from Tiffany's, but above all the other mall jewelers such as Zales and Kay) and the guy gave me some really good pointers. I wasnt gonna buy from the store but I just went in there to do first hand research. I knew I didnt want a flawless stone as that would be waaay out of my price range, but I was looking for something like 1ct, E or F color, VVS2 or VVS1 princess cut. He told me no point getting a E or F color. Go for G since normal person cant tell the difference with naked yet. He also said VVS1 isnt worth the price. Go for VS1 or VVS2 (clarity goes VS2>VS1>VVS2>VVS1>Internally flawless). I found a ring with those exact specs on blue nile for half the price that BBB was asking. Imagine Tiffany's would be even more. Look for Very Good Cut, and Very good to Excellent polish.

And if you're set on spending 10K, thats fine, it's your money. But what do you think she will like more? A 1ct VS2 from Tiffany's or 1.5 ct VS1/VVS2 from blue nile?

Btw, here is what the ring I got her looks like
one
two

frankie38

Nov 23, 2004
If you would like to save some money..then I would consider the following. Tiffany means nice blue box. Well just buy one a nice Tiffany blue box with assorted Tiffany stuff on ebay. Goto you retailer of choice, and buy your GIA certified diamond ring. Place ring in Tiffany box.

Save a few $ to buy yourself a honeymoon, large screen plasma, etc.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: frankie38
If you would like to save some money..then I would consider the following. Tiffany means nice blue box. Well just buy one a nice Tiffany blue box with assorted Tiffany stuff on ebay. Goto you retailer of choice, and buy your GIA certified diamond ring. Place ring in Tiffany box.

Yeah that's a great way to kick off a marriage :roll:

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Platypus

Yeah that's a great way to kick off a marriage :roll:

Yup, and when the diamond falls out of the setting and his fiancee wants to go by Tiffany's to file an insurance claim or look at a replacement.... OP = royally f'd. Trust me, I've been this route and a lie like that is the worst way to start your life together FOREVER.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Your girlfriend is shallow and too ignorant to realize that the price of diamonds is artificially inflated. Enjoy your life together.

Most women I know realize that debeers has a monopoly and keeps the price of diamonds artificially inflated.

Doesn't make them want it any less.

Rustican

Feb 7, 2005
What about those synthetic diamonds? Man made ones? Chemically similar to natural diamonds but lack the flaws that mined diamonds have? Are they cheaper? Does Tiffany have them as an option?

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
I don't understand why you guys bash on him. He has already made up his mind, just let it be.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002

If the GF explicitly wants a Tiffany then I'm pretty sure she can identify the lack of the "Tiffany" logo engraved on the band and the fact that the ring isn't part of any Tiffany line of jewelry.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
the salespeople are very helpful. you should be able to buy something and if your gf doesn't like it you should be able to bring her back and choose something more to her liking. at least that was the case in my situation.

luckily my wife loved the design and everything so we didn't have to change it. we did have to get it correctly sized though and they did that for free.

RayH

Jun 30, 2000
My wife has both Tiffany engagement and wedding rings and they don't have to cost a fortune. She didn't ask for the name but she appreciated it. Heck, Tiffany isn't even considered really high end. Sure you're paying a little more for the name but I don't see anywhere were the OP says he was planning on spending more at Tiffany than somewhere else. There's a certain amount of convenience being able to walk into a Tiffany at any major city in the world and have the ring cleaned or resized for free and you pretty much don't have to worry about getting something other than what was represented.

The value of the ring is entirely virtual unless you actually plan on selling it at some later time. You really can't fault someone for wanting a name anymore than someone looking for any other property of the ring. Set a budget then figure out how much the wearer is willing to trade in the physical properties of the ring for the name.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
I bought my wife a Tiffany engagement ring. I shopped around - many local jewelers, diamond district in NYC, blue nile, etc and came to the conclusion that the Tiffany ring looked the best out of all of them.

I catch my wife looking at her ring all the time and she tells me over and over she loves it. I did not go into debt by buying the ring and made sure it fit my budget. I got 0% financing for 3 months which I paid for in full by the 3 months was up.

I believe I got some pictures somewhere if u want to see.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Rustican
What about those synthetic diamonds? Man made ones? Chemically similar to natural diamonds but lack the flaws that mined diamonds have? Are they cheaper? Does Tiffany have them as an option?

yes man made diamonds are cheaper. i don't believe tiffany's offers them.

FWIW, my ring is an SI (can't remember if it's 1 or 2) and i can't see the inclusions with the naked eye. i didn't even realize they were there until i got the ring appraised and he let me see the little marks in it.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
get her some $1000 earrings to propose to her with... then let her choose the ring with you

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Explain to her that she can either have a $10,000 engagement ring and no honeymoon or a $1000 engagement ring and a $9000 honeymoon.
Or, house down payment instead of a BIG ass wedding & ring.

This is exactly right, there is a whole lot more than just the stone and setting.

In regards to money, she is going to be shopping around for a tenure track position at a university and I work in the pharmaceutical industry as a research scientist - I don't make a killing but I'm not hurting too bad either. With our two salaries combined in a year or so, it should be a bit over $120,000 - and hers has a lot higher potential after that. So splurging a bit now for something that she would love for the rest of her life shouldn't screw us to the walls financially later down the road.
It is not how much you make, but how much you save is important.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
http://www.un.org/peace/africa/Diamond.html

Crucial issue in fuelling wars
On 1 December 2000, the United Nations General Assembly adopted, unanimously, a resolution on the role of diamonds in fuelling conflict, breaking the link between the illicit transaction of rough diamonds and armed conflict, as a contribution to prevention and settlement of conflicts (A/RES/55/56). In taking up this agenda item, the General Assembly recognized that conflict diamonds are a crucial factor in prolonging brutal wars in parts of Africa, and underscored that legitimate diamonds contribute to prosperity and development elsewhere on the continent. In Angola and Sierra Leone, conflict diamonds continue to fund the rebel groups, the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA) and the Revolutionary United Front (RUF), both of which are acting in contravention of the international community's objectives of restoring peace in the two countries.
What is a conflict diamond?

Conflict diamonds are diamonds that originate from areas controlled by forces or factions opposed to legitimate and internationally recognized governments, and are used to fund military action in opposition to those governments, or in contravention of the decisions of the Security Council.

ECONOMIST
http://www.economist.com/print...y.cfm?Story_ID=2921462

HOW much turmoil can the diamond industry sustain without shattering? On July 13th in an Ohio court De Beers, the world's largest producer of rough stones, finally pleaded guilty to charges of price-fixing of industrial diamonds and agreed to pay a $10m fine, thereby ending a 60-year-long impasse. De Beers executives are at last free to visit and work directly in the largest diamond market, America.

I'd hope that a grad student would be smarter than your girl.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Wow, lots of interesting comments.

On 1 December 2000, the United Nations General Assembly adopted, unanimously, a resolution on the role of diamonds in fuelling conflict, breaking the link between the illicit transaction of rough diamonds and armed conflict, as a contribution to prevention and settlement of conflicts (A/RES/55/56). In taking up this agenda item, the General Assembly recognized that conflict diamonds are a crucial factor in prolonging brutal wars in parts of Africa, and underscored that legitimate diamonds contribute to prosperity and development elsewhere on the continent. In Angola and Sierra Leone, conflict diamonds continue to fund the rebel groups, the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA) and the Revolutionary United Front (RUF), both of which are acting in contravention of the international community's objectives of restoring peace in the two countries.

Conflict diamonds are diamonds that originate from areas controlled by forces or factions opposed to legitimate and internationally recognized governments, and are used to fund military action in opposition to those governments, or in contravention of the decisions of the Security Council.

ECONOMIST

HOW much turmoil can the diamond industry sustain without shattering? On July 13th in an Ohio court De Beers, the world's largest producer of rough stones, finally pleaded guilty to charges of price-fixing of industrial diamonds and agreed to pay a $10m fine, thereby ending a 60-year-long impasse. De Beers executives are at last free to visit and work directly in the largest diamond market, America.

That is absolutely fascinating that you think, yet again, my girl is a sort of idiot because I would like to buy her an engagement ring that contains diamonds. Did you even take a moment to ponder what the hell you wrote?

Anyhow I'm not going to waste any more time dealing with baseless insults, this one just happened to have been the last one.

Originally posted by: Aharami
OP, why does it HAVE to tiffany's? You can probably get the same exact ring from blue nile for like 60% of the price. But whatever you do, go talk to a local jeweler. I went into Bailey Banks and Biddle (a step down from Tiffany's, but above all the other mall jewelers such as Zales and Kay) and the guy gave me some really good pointers. I wasnt gonna buy from the store but I just went in there to do first hand research. I knew I didnt want a flawless stone as that would be waaay out of my price range, but I was looking for something like 1ct, E or F color, VVS2 or VVS1 princess cut. He told me no point getting a E or F color. Go for G since normal person cant tell the difference with naked yet. He also said VVS1 isnt worth the price. Go for VS1 or VVS2 (clarity goes VS2>VS1>VVS2>VVS1>Internally flawless). I found a ring with those exact specs on blue nile for half the price that BBB was asking. Imagine Tiffany's would be even more. Look for Very Good Cut, and Very good to Excellent polish.

And if you're set on spending 10K, thats fine, it's your money. But what do you think she will like more? A 1ct VS2 from Tiffany's or 1.5 ct VS1/VVS2 from blue nile?

Btw, here is what the ring I got her looks like
one
two

First off, I do think that is a great ring you chose - looks absolutely fantastic.

On a second note, it does not not have to be a Tiffany Co. ring, but she does want a Tiffany style - that being said she has made comments in the past how she really adores the Tiffany Co. rings. So, and this is just how I am regardless of what the majority of people here think, she loves the Tiffany Co rings (even my dumb self notices the subtle quality difference) and while now she does good for herself that wasn't always the case (humble beginnings), and finally she is busting her ass to finish up her dissertation for her PhD. Therefore I really, really want to be able to give her something that is sort of 'above and beyond' so to speak. Basically I want to be able to offer the best that I reasonably can.

A buddy of mine got his girl's engagement ring from some broker in NYC that deals with Tiffany Co, so I may pursue that option - her ring looks absolutely fantastic.

Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Babbles
<snip>

Alright man, I'll give it one shot and then leave you alone. But I wouldn't count on getting a lot of advice on buying a Tiffany ring here. We're more of a Blue Nile crowd. If you want advice on Tiffany's specifically, bridgen posted a while back about buying his fiancee a Tiffany ring. If you want advice on diamonds specifically, I believe djobi (someone please correct my spelling... he was the dude who looked like he could eat his girlfriend whole) worked in the diamond industry.

I gave you my help, now I'll give you my opinion. Your girlfriend asked for a diamond from a particular store. Of all of the things that matter when purchasing a ring, that is what matters the LEAST. She's asking you to pay a few grand extra so she can get a little blue-green box and so she can tell her friends her ring came from Tiffany's. That is why you are getting the reactions you're getting. It's interesting that the only thing that you've said she cares about is the store - not the type of cut, not the setting, but the store. The ring box is not going to be on her finger for the rest of her life, so I'd get some idea of what cut and setting she'd like before you buy anything.

The thing about diamonds is, all of the specs are right there for you to look at. All things being equal, a diamond from Tiffany's is no different from a diamond from any other store. F color is F color. What you probably will find at Tiffany's that you won't find in your mall stores is better specs. I looked around at some mall stores and most of the specs of their diamonds weren't very great. Lots of SIs and mediocre colors. But you CAN get the same quality stone you'd get at Tiffany's by buying from an online diamond store (or probably in any major city) where you can pick the specs you want.

Once you have your diamond, the only thing left is the setting. Tiffany's has some nice settings. So nice that every other jewelry store has nearly identical settings. When my wife and I were looking for a setting for her diamond, we took a picture around to jewelry stores and every one recognized it as Tiffany's Lucida setting and every store had a similar setting. I'm not saying you should try to make your girlfriend's ring LOOK like a Tiffany's ring, I'm just saying that if there is a particular Tiffany's setting she's interested in, you don't have to go to Tiffany's to get the look she wants. Really, it'd be better if she was open to looking at settings from other stores.

So there you have it, there is nothing special about a Tiffany's ring except the box. If you want to pay a few grand extra for that box, have at it. :thumbsup: Don't kid yourself about customer service. Every jewelry store I've gone to has had amazing customer service. They practically fall over themselves trying to help you. Remember that you're buying a RING.

Now, if you want my general advice on buying a diamond/ring here it is:

It's obvious that you want to get her the best ring possible, so we might as well start with price and work backwards. Figure out what you can afford to spend. I'd like to think this will not involve loans, but it sounds like that ship has sailed.

First, figure out how much the setting is going to cost. I assume you're going to go with platinum, so you're looking at $500+ there. Are you looking for a solitaire setting, or do you want small stones around the main stone? I assume you'll pay more for that. Anyway, figure that out and subtract it from what you can spend. If you're buying the stone and setting from different places, subtract another ~$75 for mounting the stone.

With what you have left, go somewhere that will let you specify the specs of the diamond. Bluenile does this, but there are other places that are less expensive.

The specs you're dealing with are
Cut
Clarity
Color
Carat

Cut will affect how well light reflects off the interior surfaces of the diamond. If you have bad angles in there, the light will pass through the sides and you won't get the "brilliant" look. Cut is very important.

Clarity refers to internal defects. Internal defects will affect how well light passes through the diamond, and they can be visible to the naked eye. Visible is obviously bad.

Color is obvious, and you obviously want your diamond to be as colorless as possible.

Carat is of course the size.

Now, which of those you try to maximize depends on your priorities. If you are a fan of MTV Cribs, you're going to want to maximize the carats - and if you have money left over, get an extra small diamond to mount in your tooth. If you want a diamond that really looks amazing, prioritize the cut. A dull diamond is not impressive.

Get the best cut you can. For color, I got F, because it's on the bottom end of the "colorless" range. Just like with computers, you pay a big premium for the very best, so it pays to get "close enough." For clarity, I'd shoot for the middle of the range. If you need 30x magnification to see inclusions, they're probably not going to hurt much. You don't need to get a flawless diamond. VS1 or VVS2 are a good compromise I think.

Once you get all that figured out, the carat sizes that are in your price range should be obvious. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that bigger is better. More brilliant > bigger.

Good luck. :)

First off, thank you for the advice.

As I mentioned above, but I'll take a moment to reiterate, it in fact (perhaps contrary to how I implied things from the start) does not have to be a Tiffany Co. ring, but a Tiffany-style (round cut solitaire). That being said she (and perhaps the majority of women out there) really loves the Tiffany Co rings. Maybe it is psychosomatic, but I do think that there is a difference, perhaps subtle, but noticeable quality difference with Tiffany Co. and the run of the mill ring. Anyhow, she has really done a whole lot with her life and because of that dynamic she has lived through I just want to simply really be able to give her the ideal thing that she would want - which so happens to be a Tiffany Co ring.

Moving along, your information/opinion about the diamond characteristics is useful and I appreciate it, thank you.

A buddy of mine that just got engaged went through this process a couple of months ago and I had a chance to pick his brain last night. He got his girlfriend a 1 carat ring, but the cut is just so ideal, and the angles so perfect it really looks 'bigger' than what it is and just looks plain fantastic. He went through some diamond broker that also deals with Tiffany, so I may pursue that route in the end. I would like to do a Tiffany Co, but now I am willing to keep some other options open.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

ECONOMIST

That is absolutely fascinating that you think, yet again, my girl is a sort of idiot because I would like to buy her an engagement ring that contains diamonds. Did you even take a moment to ponder what the hell you wrote?

Anyhow I'm not going to waste any more time dealing with baseless insults, this one just happened to have been the last one.

Didn't you say SHE wanted a diamond ring?

Do you believe in heaven? Do you think you and your girlfriend will be going there if you knowingly give her a diamond from a company (DeBeers) that is directly responsible for the suffering of thousands of people, including children sold into indentured servitude in diamond mines? No one with any sense of morality would buy or accept a diamond knowing the truth. Even if it's not a conflict diamond, it's from the same company and bears the same stain. I don't even need to mention conflict diamonds, because it's already been covered by others, but who in his right mind would knowingly fund genocide??
Do you even realize that the diamond "tradition" was created in the 20th century BY DEBEERS, to create a market for their stones?

I suggest you watch this video. Maybe art will get through to you even though logic doesn't.

By the way, I have no idea what this quality difference is that you are talking about. Gemstones are graded by the GIA-- look at the grades. And then buy an ethical sapphire or ruby. Believe it or not, I do know what I'm talking about. Chances are I'm the only person on this entire forum who has cut his own gemstones. If you want real beauty, there are many better gems than diamonds.

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'd like to throw a few more logs onto this fire we got going on in this thread.

Since we can now manufacture diamonds in HPHT chambers and they are indistinguishable from the diamonds (or blood diamonds) that you can pick up at your local Tiffanys store I would suggest getting said manufactured diamond instead. I understand the concept of a diamond is that you are shelling out an indiscriminate amount of cash to show your girlfriend that you would like to marry her but since the diamond industry is going to tank sooner or later now that we can make diamonds perhaps a reevaluation would be best. Diamonds wont mean crap when these manufactured cheaper ones flood the market. Plus love is a priceless commodity - right?

Interesting side note: DeBeers Diamond Cartel called up the guy who figured out the newest method of HPHT diamond creation and told him "bullets are cheap". As Throckmorton said they are a very shady cartel/company at best - single handedly overthrowing many African governments in order to maintain their hold on the mineral extraction biz.

Anyways if you do buy a diamond from Tiffanys make sure that it is a Kimberley Process Certified Diamond that certifies it is not a blood diamond. It's not a perfect program, blood diamonds can still get through but its a start ( Link to more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K...s_Certification_Scheme ) Congrats on the possible future wedding - hope it all works out!

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
So I decided that it's about time to marry the girl and I know for a fact that she wants a Tiffany - so I don't want to hear any B.S. about them being overpriced, or a rip-off or whatever. It's what she wants, and the least I can do for something like this is get her what she wants.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anybody had any experience with buying a Tiffany ring and if there is anything I should know up-front before doing so. I don't have a lot of experience (like none) in this entire buying an engagement ring thing.

Thanks!

I'll divide my suggestion in two parts:

Part 1)

If you indeed want to buy a ring with a diamond, Tiffany is a good choice. Many people here are saying to buy it online, but personally I would never do it, unless you are buying cheap stuff. Every single diamond is a different creature, and you really want to see it in person and have access to somebody who can walk you through the process of choosing a stone. There are tons of parameters to judge a diamond and people telling you similar quality is available for 1/10th of the price are simply just wrong. Cheaper stuff is available if you are not capable to judge diamonds' quality, otherwise the difference would be very apparent...

I see you are in Pennsylvania, so I think it would be a nice trip to just come down to NYC and visit Tiffany main store. Call them in advance, their customer service is very good.

Similar quality in jewelry can be found for example in Bulgari or Cartier, albeit at slightly higher prices. Bulgari designers are arguably the best commercial jewel designers period, but your taste may vary, and you pay for premium design.

Part 2)

Really consider if you really want to buy a diamond. I worked in Africa for some time, and without going into detail it is a really really nasty business to support. I am not quoting some Hollywood movie, I'm just telling you if you had seen the impact of the diamond industry in the extraction countries you would never want to deal with them, period. I'm talking about bad bad bad stuff. Stuff that gives you nightmares.

You can buy an impressive ring even without stones, maybe have it custom designed to every single detail, and it would be very good karma. I'm quite sure if your girlfriend researched a little bit on the topic she would agree.

That being said, I did buy diamonds before having first-hand experience with the business practices of the industry, so I do understand people like these stones, and how they fit in the idea of a 'perfect engagement proposal'.

Either way, the choice is yours. Good luck.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004

ECONOMIST

Didn't you say SHE wanted a diamond ring?

Do you believe in heaven? Do you think you and your girlfriend will be going there if you knowingly give her a diamond from a company (DeBeers) that is directly responsible for the suffering of thousands of people, including children sold into indentured servitude in diamond mines? No one with any sense of morality would buy or accept a diamond knowing the truth. Even if it's not a conflict diamond, it's from the same company and bears the same stain. I don't even need to mention conflict diamonds, because it's already been covered by others, but who in his right mind would knowingly fund genocide??
Do you even realize that the diamond "tradition" was created in the 20th century BY DEBEERS, to create a market for their stones?

I suggest you watch this video. Maybe art will get through to you even though logic doesn't.

By the way, I have no idea what this quality difference is that you are talking about. Gemstones are graded by the GIA-- look at the grades. And then buy an ethical sapphire or ruby. Believe it or not, I do know what I'm talking about. Chances are I'm the only person on this entire forum who has cut his own gemstones. If you want real beauty, there are many better gems than diamonds.

Make your own thread if you want to. Otherwise, STFU and get out.

OP did not ask you for advice on if he is going to heaven or not. And frankly, you are not the person that will decide that. Unless, of course, you are Jesus Christ and are using the Anandtech Forums to proclaim your second coming...

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
@PurdueRy

I think he was perhaps asking that metaphorically. I highly doubt he was proclaiming the OP's status on entering the Judaeo-Christian heaven.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: PurdueRy

Make your own thread if you want to. Otherwise, STFU and get out.

OP did not ask you for advice on if he is going to heaven or not. And frankly, you are not the person that will decide that. Unless, of course, you are Jesus Christ and are using the Anandtech Forums to proclaim your second coming...

People are suffering and dying over the same diamonds the OP wants to buy, and this inane nonsense you post? I'm not Christ, and I don't need to be Christ to know what is right and wrong. Neither does the OP. Make no mistake, the decision whether to buy a diamond IS a decision between right and wrong.