Advice/Experience on buying a Tiffany engagement ring

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Originally posted by: PurdueRy

Make your own thread if you want to. Otherwise, STFU and get out.

OP did not ask you for advice on if he is going to heaven or not. And frankly, you are not the person that will decide that. Unless, of course, you are Jesus Christ and are using the Anandtech Forums to proclaim your second coming...

People are suffering and dying over the same diamonds the OP wants to buy, and this inane nonsense you post? I'm not Christ, and I don't need to be Christ to know what is right and wrong. Neither does the OP. Make no mistake, the decision whether to buy a diamond IS a decision between right and wrong.

Are you sure you have never bought from a company that uses sweatshops to manufacture there goods? Maybe bought from a company whose assembly plants are in "less than ideal" condition(to put it lightly)?

Like I said, if you want to debate the morality of buying diamonds, make a thread on it. Then you can have your own little place to let everyone here know how perfect you are in not supporting immoral corporate practices.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

Make your own thread if you want to. Otherwise, STFU and get out.

OP did not ask you for advice on if he is going to heaven or not. And frankly, you are not the person that will decide that. Unless, of course, you are Jesus Christ and are using the Anandtech Forums to proclaim your second coming...

People are suffering and dying over the same diamonds the OP wants to buy, and this inane nonsense you post? I'm not Christ, and I don't need to be Christ to know what is right and wrong. Neither does the OP. Make no mistake, the decision whether to buy a diamond IS a decision between right and wrong.

Are you sure you have never bought from a company that uses sweatshops to manufacture there goods? Maybe bought from a company whose assembly plants are in "less than ideal" condition(to put it lightly)?

Like I said, if you want to debate the morality of buying diamonds, make a thread on it. Then you can have your own little place to let everyone here know how perfect you are in not supporting immoral corporate practices.

Of course I've bought goods made in sweatshops. Now I don't (AFAIK). Keep in mind, cheap foreign labor is equivalent to sweatshops.

Still, buying some underwear made in a sweatshop is not quite on the same level as donating $10,000 to forced labor, genocide, child labor, and war.

You have turned a very civil thread about an engagement ring purchase into your personal soapbox against the diamond industry. Your name calling (twice) of the OP's girlfriend didn't help your cause either. 1 week off. Learn some manners and quit hijacking threads.

esquared
Anandtech Senior Moderator

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Babbles
<snip>

Alright man, I'll give it one shot and then leave you alone. But I wouldn't count on getting a lot of advice on buying a Tiffany ring here. We're more of a Blue Nile crowd. If you want advice on Tiffany's specifically, bridgen posted a while back about buying his fiancee a Tiffany ring. If you want advice on diamonds specifically, I believe djobi (someone please correct my spelling... he was the dude who looked like he could eat his girlfriend whole) worked in the diamond industry.

I gave you my help, now I'll give you my opinion. Your girlfriend asked for a diamond from a particular store. Of all of the things that matter when purchasing a ring, that is what matters the LEAST. She's asking you to pay a few grand extra so she can get a little blue-green box and so she can tell her friends her ring came from Tiffany's. That is why you are getting the reactions you're getting. It's interesting that the only thing that you've said she cares about is the store - not the type of cut, not the setting, but the store. The ring box is not going to be on her finger for the rest of her life, so I'd get some idea of what cut and setting she'd like before you buy anything.

The thing about diamonds is, all of the specs are right there for you to look at. All things being equal, a diamond from Tiffany's is no different from a diamond from any other store. F color is F color. What you probably will find at Tiffany's that you won't find in your mall stores is better specs. I looked around at some mall stores and most of the specs of their diamonds weren't very great. Lots of SIs and mediocre colors. But you CAN get the same quality stone you'd get at Tiffany's by buying from an online diamond store (or probably in any major city) where you can pick the specs you want.

Once you have your diamond, the only thing left is the setting. Tiffany's has some nice settings. So nice that every other jewelry store has nearly identical settings. When my wife and I were looking for a setting for her diamond, we took a picture around to jewelry stores and every one recognized it as Tiffany's Lucida setting and every store had a similar setting. I'm not saying you should try to make your girlfriend's ring LOOK like a Tiffany's ring, I'm just saying that if there is a particular Tiffany's setting she's interested in, you don't have to go to Tiffany's to get the look she wants. Really, it'd be better if she was open to looking at settings from other stores.

So there you have it, there is nothing special about a Tiffany's ring except the box. If you want to pay a few grand extra for that box, have at it. :thumbsup: Don't kid yourself about customer service. Every jewelry store I've gone to has had amazing customer service. They practically fall over themselves trying to help you. Remember that you're buying a RING.

Now, if you want my general advice on buying a diamond/ring here it is:

It's obvious that you want to get her the best ring possible, so we might as well start with price and work backwards. Figure out what you can afford to spend. I'd like to think this will not involve loans, but it sounds like that ship has sailed.

First, figure out how much the setting is going to cost. I assume you're going to go with platinum, so you're looking at $500+ there. Are you looking for a solitaire setting, or do you want small stones around the main stone? I assume you'll pay more for that. Anyway, figure that out and subtract it from what you can spend. If you're buying the stone and setting from different places, subtract another ~$75 for mounting the stone.

With what you have left, go somewhere that will let you specify the specs of the diamond. Bluenile does this, but there are other places that are less expensive.

The specs you're dealing with are
Cut
Clarity
Color
Carat

Cut will affect how well light reflects off the interior surfaces of the diamond. If you have bad angles in there, the light will pass through the sides and you won't get the "brilliant" look. Cut is very important.

Clarity refers to internal defects. Internal defects will affect how well light passes through the diamond, and they can be visible to the naked eye. Visible is obviously bad.

Color is obvious, and you obviously want your diamond to be as colorless as possible.

Carat is of course the size.

Now, which of those you try to maximize depends on your priorities. If you are a fan of MTV Cribs, you're going to want to maximize the carats - and if you have money left over, get an extra small diamond to mount in your tooth. If you want a diamond that really looks amazing, prioritize the cut. A dull diamond is not impressive.

Get the best cut you can. For color, I got F, because it's on the bottom end of the "colorless" range. Just like with computers, you pay a big premium for the very best, so it pays to get "close enough." For clarity, I'd shoot for the middle of the range. If you need 30x magnification to see inclusions, they're probably not going to hurt much. You don't need to get a flawless diamond. VS1 or VVS2 are a good compromise I think.

Once you get all that figured out, the carat sizes that are in your price range should be obvious. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that bigger is better. More brilliant > bigger.

Good luck. :)

^ Listen to mugs. This is well thought out advice.

:thumbsup:

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Your girlfriend is shallow and too ignorant to realize that the price of diamonds is artificially inflated. Enjoy your life together.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Now, possibly, the OPs eventual ex-wife was raised in a family with money...maybe the OP was too. The possiblilty is strong that NEITHER of them knows the real value of a dollar earned from actual work.

If that's not the case and they are both from working-class families, then what I quoted above is doubly true.

*edit*
Ironically, I didn't read a word of the post right above mine. :eek: I won't edit my post though. OK, so she's not from money. SHE SHOULD UNDERSTAND THE VALUE OF IT ALL THAT MUCH MORE THEN!! I just don't see the point of a $10K ring. All that does is set the bar really high for a really expensive wedding that you'll go into deep hock for. Don't make the TYPICAL American mistake of going into hock for the wedding. Starting $20K+ plus in the hole is not the way to go.

None of my post is a personal attack, OP. I don't know you...I wish you luck though.

FWIW, my wife's ring was a hair over $3K and it's very nice. I don't make as much as you, either. $3K was a lot of money. She picked it out and she loves it. I paid cash for it and that whole miserable (don't tell her I said that...) experience is long done and over with. She still loves her ring and me too. She thought it would be DUMB for me to buy a bigger ring. That's how I knew she was the one for me. Smart with money = great wife.

YOU'RE MARRIED?!
when did that happen?! :confused:

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
if she only likes the tiffany look, dont care about the name (yeah right!) you should check out Vatche ring, the designer is the same guy that designed the lucida setting for tiffany (tiffany has yet to confirmed nor deny this claim yet), their X-prong looks 99.9% identical to the lucida setting, and everytime my wife is in a tiffany store with her Vache ring, they think she is wearing a tiffany ring, and treat her like a past customer, check it out. ;)

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
Wow I'm surprised that Throckmartin guy got banned. I don't think he should have said things in such a hostile manner but he was raising legitimate concerns - I wouldn't call that hijacking a thread.

Personally I try to be an ethical consumer - thats hard sometimes - but the beauty of capitalism is that you can be informed and choose to buy or not buy something. If I was the OP I would want to have all the info - especially if it involved something that has as much blood on its hands (the diamond industry)... anyways once again congrats to the OP and hope you at least consider buying a Kimberly Process Certified Diamond. Good luck!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Kaelyn
Originally posted by: Anubis
get her what she wants if you want to, dont listen to the idiots here, IMO spending alot on a ring si dumb, but thats my opinion it doesnt really matter, just dont get something you cant afford

my best buddy just got married and he didnt even get his now wife an engadgement ring,

I recently got married and my husband didn't spend $$ on an engagement ring. We talked about it extensively and decided a very modest, tiny family only wedding at our new town home would be the smartest expense of the $1k we set aside for our wedding. This $1k included the cost of our plain wedding bands too (eweddingbands.com). I look at mine every day and am so happy that I didn't insist upon "bling".

Did I want a nice ring? Sure. Do I still want one? Sure. Will I ever get one? Probably as a anniversary gift down the road. It would never be a real diamond, and instead I'd insist it be a moissonite (spelling?) or similar simulated diamond. Real diamonds are a horrible investment.

OP, it's a matter of personal preference and feeling. Regardless of anyone's opinions here, do what is right for your relationship. As a side note, I do think it'd be smart to consider saving that $$ for a house down-payment or something more worthwhile in the long run. You can always get a nice ring down the road as an anniversary present.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDITED to pull in one of my responses to a similar thread about proposals:

I find the whole idea of a "perfect" proposal scenerio to be a complete joke.

The scene should be very specific to the couple and IMO should be done when it feels right for the relationship. Planning is nice, but sponteniety can be wonderful.... and tends to make for a much more meaningful, special memory down the road.

As for "bling", it's real nice to have but completely unnecessary to do so when young and lacking in funding. Poor guys are expected to shell out a few thousand dollars to get that suggested "two months salary" when they buy a ring to propose. Diamonds are such a waste of money IMO. Simulated man made diamonds can be just as pretty at a fraction of the cost. I don't have an engagement ring, and while I just got married two weeks ago... I felt buying our town home and paying for things relating to that was FAR more important than some sparkly crap for my finger. Do I love pretty stones? You bet I do.... no less than any other woman. But I'm a realistic woman who feels that going into debt over a silly ring is so not worth it.

I actually had a woman here at work rudely ask me -- "Where's your engagement ring?" I told her it was called a townhome and that it was more important to have a place to live for me than some goofy ring. Her response... "Oh no that doesn't fly with me. He MUST spend the right amount and it has got to be good quality or I wouldn't say yes"

The bisnatchy-ness and absurdity of her comment just rings through loud and clear to me that a large majority of women are silly twits who have no real clue what is important or what should be important in life.

Enjoy your crummy ghetto apartment princess, while I go home to a nice quiet house that is my own.

You get a :cookie: for being one of the few practical women I've ever met. Hat's off to you! :)

OP, if I were you I'd take her ring shopping. That's what I did - I let my wife pick out the ring, so she's happy with it and I'm happy that she's happy ;)

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Kaido

You get a :cookie: for being one of the few practical women I've ever met. Hat's off to you! :)

OP, if I were you I'd take her ring shopping. That's what I did - I let my wife pick out the ring, so she's happy with it and I'm happy that she's happy ;)

While I understand that taking The Girl out ring shopping works in many situations, I feel that it doesn't quite apply to mine. I think somebody else touched on this earlier on the thread, but in my case she essentially implied that she wanted to be surprised with things. Therefore taking her ring shopping would sort of kill the surprise. Again, though, I do perfectly understand that for particular people that this would be an ideal choice, I just don't think it is applicable in my situation.

Originally posted by: AnthroAndStargate
Wow I'm surprised that Throckmartin guy got banned. I don't think he should have said things in such a hostile manner but he was raising legitimate concerns - I wouldn't call that hijacking a thread.

Personally I try to be an ethical consumer - thats hard sometimes - but the beauty of capitalism is that you can be informed and choose to buy or not buy something. If I was the OP I would want to have all the info - especially if it involved something that has as much blood on its hands (the diamond industry)... anyways once again congrats to the OP and hope you at least consider buying a Kimberly Process Certified Diamond. Good luck!

I think that the Throckmartin guy deserved what he got - and no I had nothing to do with it - because the needless, and quite stupid, "holier than thou" attitude is just plainly unacceptable. Being told that my girlfriend is stupid and I am going to rot in hell for wanting to buy her a diamond engagement ring is a bit much. Good Lord, what would happend if I wanted it made out of fetus bone. . .

The girlfriend and I once talked about lab created diamonds, and while we both think they are fantastic in their own rights, we both (at the time at least) believed there is something fantastic about the natural diamonds due to the slight imperfections in even the most ideal diamonds. Granted most differences between a natural and synthetic diamond may only be determined via the use of an FTIR, there are still (in my opinions) imperfections in a natural diamond that gives it a sort of individuality.

Originally posted by: richardycc
if she only likes the tiffany look, dont care about the name (yeah right!) you should check out Vatche ring, the designer is the same guy that designed the lucida setting for tiffany (tiffany has yet to confirmed nor deny this claim yet), their X-prong looks 99.9% identical to the lucida setting, and everytime my wife is in a tiffany store with her Vache ring, they think she is wearing a tiffany ring, and treat her like a past customer, check it out. ;)

I have decided to keep other options open, so I will keep this in the back of my mind as well. Thank you for the information.

Originally posted by: Kaelyn

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDITED to pull in one of my responses to a similar thread about proposals:

I find the whole idea of a "perfect" proposal scenerio to be a complete joke.

The scene should be very specific to the couple and IMO should be done when it feels right for the relationship. Planning is nice, but sponteniety can be wonderful.... and tends to make for a much more meaningful, special memory down the road.

As for "bling", it's real nice to have but completely unnecessary to do so when young and lacking in funding. Poor guys are expected to shell out a few thousand dollars to get that suggested "two months salary" when they buy a ring to propose. Diamonds are such a waste of money IMO. Simulated man made diamonds can be just as pretty at a fraction of the cost. I don't have an engagement ring, and while I just got married two weeks ago... I felt buying our town home and paying for things relating to that was FAR more important than some sparkly crap for my finger. Do I love pretty stones? You bet I do.... no less than any other woman. But I'm a realistic woman who feels that going into debt over a silly ring is so not worth it.

I actually had a woman here at work rudely ask me -- "Where's your engagement ring?" I told her it was called a townhome and that it was more important to have a place to live for me than some goofy ring. Her response... "Oh no that doesn't fly with me. He MUST spend the right amount and it has got to be good quality or I wouldn't say yes"

The bisnatchy-ness and absurdity of her comment just rings through loud and clear to me that a large majority of women are silly twits who have no real clue what is important or what should be important in life.

Enjoy your crummy ghetto apartment princess, while I go home to a nice quiet house that is my own.

This was posted earlier and I thought I would take a moment to put some more background information out there for perspective. I like to consider myself young, but both of us are pushing 30 and have already been around the block a bit. Both of our cars are paid off, most of my student loans are gone, nearly paid off most of the credit card debt I racked up; she still has some student loans from her Masters program but her PhD was funded and she was given a stipend so there isn't a boatload of debt from that. We own enough junk to fill a house (or two) with items. My point being that neither one of us are just 'young' kids right out of school that are just barely scraping by for a living. Also I like to consider myself realistic (what other option do you have in life?) but I also like to enjoy nicer things when I can. We both bought Burberry watches but hell a $20 Timex would work just fine, we like to eat out at decent restaurants, and visit interesting place - guess neither one of us care that much about too much realism. I suppose too much practical realism makes life dull for me.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Don't buy a diamond, buy a nice white gold ring for her.

You might as well buy her 459 grams of heroin for what you're supporting.

You're an american aren't you.

Rogo

Nymphaea

Sep 9, 2007
just make sure you get the type she likes, but also something that won't make you broke. I've known too many girls demanding a ridiculously expensive (overpriced?) ring fromt their fiance. And the poor guy gotta save up soo much $$ to get that. Quite silly in my opinion when the prices is outrageous, but anyways let's not go there.

There're many different types of rings in Tiffany, and their price has a wide arrangement. Hope you find one that fits the best! Take your time and visit different stores, don't rush~

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Kaido

While I understand that taking The Girl out ring shopping works in many situations, I feel that it doesn't quite apply to mine. I think somebody else touched on this earlier on the thread, but in my case she essentially implied that she wanted to be surprised with things. Therefore taking her ring shopping would sort of kill the surprise. Again, though, I do perfectly understand that for particular people that this would be an ideal choice, I just don't think it is applicable in my situation.

Makes sense, it's not for everybody ;) If she wants to be surprised, surprise her! Girls dream about getting married practically from the moment they're born. She has it all planned out in her head. The more you make it like in her head, the happier she'll probably be.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006
[

This is the type of ignorant crap I was hoping to avoid. She was hardly a spoiled child growing up, had to move around after dad lost his jobs when the steel mills shut down, but they eventually got back on their feet and are doing quite well now. She is busting her ass through graduate school and barely has enough money week to week and drives a ten year old car - hardly the acts of a shallow person. And based on your clueless statement I can damn well assure that she has more critical thinking in a toenail clipping than you will ever experience in a lifetime.

I would really like to be able to give her this 'dream' ring that she has wanted when she gets her doctorate conferred - that she be a hell of a graduation present.

But hey, go ahead and go through life randomly insulting people you know nothing about - that'll get you far.

Asshole.

lol. Pot, meet the kettle.

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
screw all these people that aren't offering help... if you want to spend the money, spend it.. the joy you'll see on her face is something you will never forget... take it from someone getting married in exactly 2 weeks!!

all i really wanted to say was congrats!

Doctor Nyse

Jun 26, 2006
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Your girlfriend is shallow and too ignorant to realize that the price of diamonds is artificially inflated. Enjoy your life together.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Now, possibly, the OPs eventual ex-wife was raised in a family with money...maybe the OP was too. The possiblilty is strong that NEITHER of them knows the real value of a dollar earned from actual work.

If that's not the case and they are both from working-class families, then what I quoted above is doubly true.

*edit*
Ironically, I didn't read a word of the post right above mine. :eek: I won't edit my post though. OK, so she's not from money. SHE SHOULD UNDERSTAND THE VALUE OF IT ALL THAT MUCH MORE THEN!! I just don't see the point of a $10K ring. All that does is set the bar really high for a really expensive wedding that you'll go into deep hock for. Don't make the TYPICAL American mistake of going into hock for the wedding. Starting $20K+ plus in the hole is not the way to go.

None of my post is a personal attack, OP. I don't know you...I wish you luck though.

FWIW, my wife's ring was a hair over $3K and it's very nice. I don't make as much as you, either. $3K was a lot of money. She picked it out and she loves it. I paid cash for it and that whole miserable (don't tell her I said that...) experience is long done and over with. She still loves her ring and me too. She thought it would be DUMB for me to buy a bigger ring. That's how I knew she was the one for me. Smart with money = great wife.

I can gurentee when me and my wife got married i was makeing far more then they will be for a long time.

saying that i baught my wife a 2k engament ring with a 1k wrap she got on the wedding day.

i gave her a option of a huge wedding and expensive ring or a house. she wanted a house more then a huge wedding and expensive ring.

wich is one of the reasons i married her.

being smart with money enambles you do far more. it let me be able to retire for health reasons and to take care of my kids. wich is far more important then a ring or huge wedding.

Have you ever noticed how you type?

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
dude, i bought my wife a ring from costco and she loves it. i still feel like a tard spending that much on a ring though. what a scam. the whole wedding industry

Jack Ryan

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
I don't have experience buying a Tiffany ring, (my wife is in the jewelry industry, lucky for me).

Only advice I have is don't listen to these knuckleheads that pretend to know everything about jewelry. Jewelry is obviously a women's world and has value to them far more than the dollar signs that we rational folk see. Most of the time, these people are self-conscious that they couldn't afford a Tiffany ring anyway (hidden behind the "well I would never buy that", "I'm going to buy it from the cheapest internet retailer", etc etc).

A ring is supposed to be personal, not a cookie cutter ring purchased from blue nile with a coupon code. If she has her heart set on a Tiffany ring, and you can afford it, then go for it and congratulations. It's only money.

crimson117

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2001
"Her response... "Oh no that doesn't fly with me. He MUST spend the right amount and it has got to be good quality or I wouldn't say yes""

And wow she still hasn't found a guy? SHOCKER! :p

Edit: dammit, next time I'll check how old a thread is before replying. but hey, diamonds are forever, right? :)

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
The price you pay for a Tiffany ring is not just for the stone and setting, it is for the customer service. Why do you think they have the reputation they do? Take advantage of their customer service and schedule a meeting with one of their experts. Even if you don't buy from them, their advice will be invaluable.

Brotha please if you're spending $20k on a diamond the dealer downtown will give you a hj along with the best customer service AND look like a supermodel. Fact is you are paying at least 50% more by buying Tiffany's brand.

But to OP: be prepared for your future fiancee to be embarrassed to receive and have to showcase a small speck of a ring even though you spent $15k. There is no difference between a Tiffany ring and a ring from a dealer with a Tiffany setting. Trust me go in there and compare what you would get for $15k (i bet less than 0.50ct) vs what you can get at a dealer (1.5ct+). #1 thing that girls care about is size.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Some of you people are such hypocrites and losers. Let's take example of this asshat:

Throckmorton says : "Your girlfriend is shallow and too ignorant to realize that the price of diamonds is artificially inflated. Enjoy your life together."

You're the same idiots who buy TWO $500 video cards to PLAY FVCKING GAMES. Not to mention you run dual monitor. You have thousands of dollars in computers and sit around posting on ATOT all day. Take a look through all your post and they are related to video games.

Not to mention that Diamonds don't lose value. But you're investing all that money to play games in something that two - three years later is worthless. A ring like that can be passed down to your children and grandchildren...it can transcend generations. What to talk about ignorance?

Not to mention that some of you are the same people who have no problem with buying huge houses and lust after exotic cars.

But to knock a woman who wants a Tiffany right and call her all kinds of names? Who's shallow and jealous. The guy wants advice, not a bunch of asswipe kids from ATOT who sit around and play WOW all day and don't have a clue about women.

This isn't directed towards people like mugs who provided excellent advise without calling his woman names.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: d33pt
dude, i bought my wife a ring from costco and she loves it. i still feel like a tard spending that much on a ring though. what a scam. the whole wedding industry

Tell me about it. i am gonna propose to my gf soon, but the prices of everythgi is really getting me scared......