Adventure Games

dude8604

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2001
Are there any recent or upcoming adventure games like the Lucasarts ones? Those games were good, and even the more recent ones like Monkey Island 4 were still good I thought. Why don't many companies make them anymore? Is there going to be a Monkey Island 5 or another good adventure game from Lucasarts? Inspired by the Sam and Max 2 cancellation thread.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Outside the US they're more popular, but more grown-up than the LucasArts comedy adventures. Lucas cancelled Full Throttle and now Sam & Max, but making Ewok Happy Fun-Time and Jar-Jar's Grammer Playpen were just more important to the company's profits.

The Longest Journey got good reviews, and I think there was a sequel. I forget the ratings for Syberia and its sequel.

Sep 18, 2003
The reason they dont make the is because of the internet. They were huge before the net became a mainstream pirating service, Adventure games do not make money these days as people just dnload them, the only games that make money these days are fps or rts games that require a cd key to play that auths against online servers etc to make it hard to copy.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: OrangeJellyDisk
The reason they dont make the is because of the internet. They were huge before the net became a mainstream pirating service, Adventure games do not make money these days as people just dnload them, the only games that make money these days are fps or rts games that require a cd key to play that auths against online servers etc to make it hard to copy.

so they should just have the same requirements as those games, cd key and an internet connection

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Grim Fandango is the king of adventure games. Blade Runner would have to be number 2. The Monkey Island series is pretty solid (didn't play the 2nd one, and the 4th one had a number of rough spots). I liked The Longest Journey, but I'm not liking Syberia that much. And who can forget Full Throttle?

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Blade Runner was not an adventure game. It was basically a movie, little choice of action.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: huesmann
Blade Runner was not an adventure game. It was basically a movie, little choice of action.

Well it's not in the vain of the other ones I listed, but it's still an adventure game. None of the others had multiple paths/endings, so they're even more linear.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Czar
Originally posted by: OrangeJellyDisk

so they should just have the same requirements as those games, cd key and an internet connection

That won't work for a single player game. Since you don't actually have to connect to a server to play, someone will just make a crack that makes the game work without an internet connection. Still, there are quite a few single player games that do make money.