Advantages of PC gaming over console gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
How about dedicated servers. People paying for online Xbox play, are paying to use their own hardware as a server. Microsoft is really screwing them over on that one.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Since i *already* have a computer for business - read: Tax write-off - it is much cheaper to just use one platform as PC games are Waaaay cheaper than console games [for me about $2000 cheaper over the 5 years of a consoles' life vs. PC gaming and HW upgrades]
... plus i get Mouse+KB, better graphics including DX10 and the free mods

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Better games (people wouldn't be saying Halo was good if they had a proper port of BF2 or ETQW)
More types of games
Cheaper games
Better player base
Possibility to upgrade
Decent PC is better than any console

Edit: How did I forget mods? I wouldn't want to play Oblivion without them.

I was actually thinking about whether it would be cheaper if I had gotten a 360 instead of my computer and upgrading, then I realized how expensive games for consoles are. They pretty much stay at $60, so my friends only have 2-5 games. Over time, if they had as many games as I have for PC, their purchases would be WAY more expensive (I rarely buy PC games for the full $50 - usually get it for $40 or lower).

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
1. Keyboard & Mouse.

2. Unlimited backward compatibility.

3. More widespread online play.

4. Cutting-edge hardware on a constant basis (if you have the $$$), plus the ability to customize your system to suit the games you play.

5. The ability to do real work on your 'gaming machine'.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Biggest reason is mouse+keyboard. And because I mainly play fps (with the occasional rts like Company of Heroes), I find one mulitplayer fps I like and stick with it for a while. Not into building as much anymore but I still like to read hardware and game reviews.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Better online community, more mods, less whiney 12 year olds, cheaper games, better experience, more control over everything... did I mention mods? I can probably think of more, but... I'm just too lazy right now :D

Vidda

Sep 29, 2004
PC for serious, competitive gaming. Console (read: Nintendo only) for fun, party type stuff.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Vidda
PC for serious, competitive gaming. Console (read: Nintendo only) for fun, party type stuff.

I've found the 360 to be a pretty good party device too. Although we have to sit down and party. It's also much easier to do multiplayer on a console than on multiple PCs.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
the interwebs

better games

better graphics (monitors always look better then TVs, LCD monitors, at least)

better UI

Better online play

mods

more people!

huge number of servers

limitless control customization

emulators

the list goes on....

(KEYBOARD AND MOUSE B!TCH)