Advantages/disadvantages of NTFS over FAT32 for win2k adv server?

Len

Oct 9, 1999
What advantages or disadvantages will I get by having NTFS instead of FAT32 for win2k adv. server other than the fact that I will not be able to read NTFS from non NT based OSes without dedicated drivers?

CBuxton

Dec 8, 1999
You will have no problems reading NTFS partitions from Non-NT based OSes...I do on a 300 computer network. Servers are NTFS, workstations are Win9x Fat32. NTFS gives you security at the file level, and it is far more advanced than what is allowed with FAT. Ability to do quotas, there's quite a long list of advantages. The file system itself reads and writes in a manner that prevents the system from crashing (don't know the specifics, but does something like a CRC check on each block) NTFS is the way to go.

StuckMojo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 1999
perhaps a little clarification is in order: if you are dual booting you wont be able to read the NTFS partitions without jumping through hoops, but if you mean accessing these partitions as shares from another computer, then you can get to them fine.

Len

Oct 9, 1999
StuckMojo

I'm talking about the first case scenario that you mention. Namely I already decided to go the NTFS route, but want to be able to get drivers somewhere to be able to read that partition from the same machine while it is booted to winME, 9x or linux

StuckMojo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 1999
well, linux has a read only NTFS kernel driver...use make menuconfig to enable it. it also has write abilities, but i really wouldnt recommend it, its pretty flaky. or if you do enable it, make sure to mount the partition read only so you dont accidentally write to it unless you really mean to.

there are read only NTFS drivers for 9x also....cant remember the site. they have write ones also, but you have to pay for them. search on download.com or altavista for them.

[edit] by "enable" i mean rebuild the kernel (easy with make menuconfig)[/edit]