Advantages/disadvantages of NTFS over FAT32 for win2k adv server?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Len, Oct 30, 2000.

1. Len

Len Member

What advantages or disadvantages will I get by having NTFS instead of FAT32 for win2k adv. server other than the fact that I will not be able to read NTFS from non NT based OSes without dedicated drivers?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Advantages disadvantages NTFS Forum Date
    what advantages to update to W10 from W7 ultimate? Operating Systems Feb 2, 2015
    Does a 32bit win 7 have any advantage over 64 bit Operating Systems Oct 7, 2014
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Linux over Windows? Operating Systems Mar 18, 2004
    whats the disadvantage and advantage of win95 to win98 and win me? Operating Systems Sep 28, 2001
    NTFS vs. FAT32....any advantages or disadvantages? Operating Systems Jan 17, 2001

3. CBuxton

CBuxton Senior member

You will have no problems reading NTFS partitions from Non-NT based OSes...I do on a 300 computer network. Servers are NTFS, workstations are Win9x Fat32. NTFS gives you security at the file level, and it is far more advanced than what is allowed with FAT. Ability to do quotas, there's quite a long list of advantages. The file system itself reads and writes in a manner that prevents the system from crashing (don't know the specifics, but does something like a CRC check on each block) NTFS is the way to go.

4. Len

Len Member

Thanks. Will go the NTFS route in that case.

5. StuckMojo

StuckMojo Golden Member

perhaps a little clarification is in order: if you are dual booting you wont be able to read the NTFS partitions without jumping through hoops, but if you mean accessing these partitions as shares from another computer, then you can get to them fine.

6. Len

Len Member

StuckMojo

I'm talking about the first case scenario that you mention. Namely I already decided to go the NTFS route, but want to be able to get drivers somewhere to be able to read that partition from the same machine while it is booted to winME, 9x or linux

7. StuckMojo

StuckMojo Golden Member

well, linux has a read only NTFS kernel driver...use make menuconfig to enable it. it also has write abilities, but i really wouldnt recommend it, its pretty flaky. or if you do enable it, make sure to mount the partition read only so you dont accidentally write to it unless you really mean to.

there are read only NTFS drivers for 9x also....cant remember the site. they have write ones also, but you have to pay for them. search on download.com or altavista for them.

[edit] by "enable" i mean rebuild the kernel (easy with make menuconfig)[/edit]

8. nasty

nasty Member

The drivers you mention are 'NTFS for Dos' and 'Ntfs for W9x'.

Just go to www.sysninternals.com and you will find all the goodies you want!!!

9. nasty

nasty Member