Advanced File moving

WildViper

Feb 19, 2002
Hello All,

Problem:

I have over 25,000 files that i need to move to their correct folders. These files are generally named in this way: "Lastname, Firstname - Description - Some Date". I have roughly 1,200 client folders (that has subfolders) and these files need to be moved into the correct client folder and then the correct sub-folder within that client. I would like it to determine if the file was created in 2018, for example, to move into 2018 folder of relevant topic.

So example,

Filename: Client, Sample - Taxes - Jan 2018.docx

This should go into the Sample Client folder > Taxes > and then into 2018 folder. Now some files do not have the date in the name - in that case, to look at date created and use that.

Finally, I want this to run automatically everyday in a "watched" folder.

Solutions I have found

I have tried looking for a software solution and haven't come up with one. I ended finding some DOS batch commands that will let me move the files. But to make it work, I had to use Excel to match the files to the relevant clients. Then I copied and pasted the copy code to move the said file to said client. This worked for few hundred files...it is daunting at 25K+ files.

So appreciate any guidance on this.....is there a software out there? I have not found one. Is there some code that I can modify to do the above?

WildViper

Feb 19, 2002
Thx. I will check out the Split path thing. I think that will be part of the solution.

The Advanced Renamer is awesome - not my solution right now as I am not looking for renaming necessarily, but I have bought that program to solve another problem. It simply is an awesome program.