ADSL modems recommendations please! [updated]

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
The following work with Verizon's DSL service:
Westell DMT ADSL External Modem (Wirespeed?)
3COM HomeConnect ADSL Modem PCI
Efficient Networks SpeedStream 3060 Internal DSL Modem
Efficient Networks SpeedStream 4060 USB Modem

Looks like the Westell modem is the only viable choice I have. The rest are exactly what I don't want. Thanks to Mike over at the DSLreports forum for hooking me up with this information. Now anyone have the Westell modem for sale? Time to check out E-Bay.

---original post below---
I searched at Outpost, Buy.com, Computers4sure, Amazon, PCMall, Microwarehouse, TigerDirect, eCost. All came up with nothing. The only store that had any that I searched was this one: PC Connection. Damn they are expensive! The one offered to me by my DSL company was only $200, $100 after the instant rebate.

I need an external ADSL modem that connects via an RJ-45 port (to SMC Barricade router). Not USB! Damn them USB external modems. Why won't any companies make routers that accept USB then?

Which ADSL modem is good? I think 3com's always good. BUt $330!? Heard good things about the Wirespeed External DMT ADSL Ethernet Modem over at Epinions.com, can't find anywhere that sells it except for these Egay auctions: Egay Well I'm not really gonna take Egay seriously though, cuz of all the problems I've heard about it.

Well thanks in advance, I'm off to CompUSA to take a look at their offerings... ughhh...

mpg

Banned
Nov 23, 2000
I have acatel or something that pacbell provides, I would be willing to sell it at a reasonable price. (I have cable now)

hungrypete

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2000
damn, my provider sells the rj45 modem, a nic, and all the filters and splitters for $100..... I havent gotten it yet though, had to call 3 friggin times because some dumb lady screwed up the hardware order. Heres a question, if they turn the dsl on and i dont have the filters yet, will my phones be dead until i get them?

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
oh darn, i just sold my on e8ay for 61 bucks... i'm on cable modem now..

pdo

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
www.pauldophotography.com
I have the Cisco 675 and it is pretty good. I would suggest you try E-GAY cuz I saw a bunch that goes under $100 and these goes for $300 new. Or try the DSPreports site where member there usually have them for sale.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Sweetness... just got back from CrapUSA... they only had the internal PCI modems. I'll take a look at Egay, and DSLreports. I just wish my provider would just give me a damn RJ-45 DSL modem.

Guess I'll be getting the Cisco one then, since no one else recommended any others. HungryPete, who's your provider and what region do you live in? How much do you pay for your service? I'm getting pretty cheap service, so I guess that offsets the cost of the hardware.

Celstar

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Yep, I sold my alcatel pci internal modem for around $85 on eb@y. You really can't buy adsl modems anywhere else without having to pay retail. eb@y is good for stuff like this.

Celstar

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
weird, why the heck is eb@y a banned word again? I guess eb@y didn't pay the advertising bills:p

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
Be very careful buying a DSL modem. There are many different standards, manufacturers, and they all are not interoperable. In just the ADSL realm, there is CAP, DMT, and G.Lite. Someone mentioned the Cisco 67x series. There is a 675, 677, 678 for CAP, DMT, and Lite (I forget which is which). You had better check with your provider and get a good idea what exactly you need before you buy anything.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Oldfart.. thanks for the heads up!!!

MPG, can you give me some more information on your modem? Like make, model number? I've had good experiences buying from fellow Anandtech members. Also one good experience on Egay, but have been scared off since then...

I'm gonna go do some research on what kind of ADSL modem I need. When I asked the CSR over the phone today, he told me most ADSL modems should work fine...

mpg

Banned
Nov 23, 2000
Its a alcatel 1000 ADSL modem, never had a prob with it. My name is on heatware and I sell on <>ebay<>. $40? I'll throw in a 10mbit NIC card.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Good question Usul, that, I'm not sure... but if you have the money, I say you go with a normal networking setup. It's easier to expand and upgrade... my friend is having one hell of a time trying to get his to work. He uses a cable modem, and have tried for almost a month to get it working. Been playing around with that thing forever. I just recently bought an SMC Barricade router, waiting for the service to get hooked up and looking for a DSL modem now... I've done a lot of research and propose that you follow the same route.

mpg: Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Just finished formatting and getting my computer back up and running. Which auction are you? There's a bunch... I haven't been able to find out which modems work with my service, but I figure they mostly the same. Do you just want to skip the Egay auction so you don't have to pay any money to Egay? I could pay through Paypal. How much shipping? Is this you? http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1204467578 And who gave you that one in your profile?

And I guess you know how freaking long it takes to get hooked up right? So far, the DSL company has been giving me a slight run around. But it's the holidays, so I'm not pushing them too hard... I just hope the service is activated and I can get everything setup for my siblings before I go (edit: meant to say SCHOOL, not home)... anyway. If this deal does go through, I just want to let you know that I might not be able to try the modem out for a little while until my service is activated.

mpg

Banned
Nov 23, 2000
I didn't put it up on

<< ebay >>

, yet. Just contact me when you are ready to do the transaction. I rather not do paypal with the 2.2% that they take away (Grrr...). LMK. Shipping ranges, about $6.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Woah, didn't know Paypal took that much... my bust. Actually, didn't know they took any money out at all... what other ways can I pay you through if the transaction goes through?

Well, since it looks like my service isn't gonna be activated anytime soon, I'll just keep looking. But thanks for the offer. I'll let you know what I dig up. Hopefully I'll just end up grabbing that modem off of you. But as of now, still looking at my choices. Thanks though...

dc

xtreme2k

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2000
What is that Alcatel 1000ADSL modem?

as far as I know Alcatel only has
SpeedTouch Home, USB, PC, and PRO as ADSL

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Alcatel ADSL1000 is like the grandpappy of dsl modems.

***Beware some ADSL1000's have the ethernet disabled, some the ATM disabled, Some are also pre 1.0 models that overheat and dont follow the standards that the new ones do.

I also think it handles full band send/recieve very badley (as if the buffer is too small, and the modem laggs)

discombobulated

Dec 28, 2000
being in dsl tech support, i would first ask your provider what they use for there service, then there are plenty of dsl modem/routers out there, one of the best ive seen is from 2wire, it is a dsl modem and router in one, connects usb, or rj45. stay away from the the interneal modems they are a big pain in the you know what, what you want to make sure though is that you have a modem that will work down the road as the cost of having to buy a new one sucks. so i would go with a new modem that supports all the new formats of dsl. as old fart said there are at least 3 dsl formats out.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Thanks Gunbuster, I guess I'll stay away from them...

discombobulated, hehehe just got off the phone with Winfire, after a 5 min. wait or so. Anyway, she had no idea what I was talking about between CAP, G.Lite, and DMT. Guess I'll look at their site or DSLreports.

No one else has any modems to recommend? I think I'll definitely by second-hand from Egay. Can't bring myself to pay so much for a new modem, when a used one should work fine.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Just added two more modems... I'm thinking my Telco is Verizon/Bell Atlantic, so I'm gonna look for posts on Egay that mention that they used it with that service... Winfire CSR gave me absolutely no help whatsoever...

And it freaking looks like the DSL ain't gonna get connected anytime soon... with all the stories people are telling me...

noxipoo

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2000
Doesn't your DSL isp give you a free modem? I had two different services and both gave me the modem for use and free install.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Cisco 675. I have an extra one - brand still - e-mail me an offer.

That's what US West (QWest) here in Oregon uses for their ADSL.