Adobe's CC Photographer's Plan?

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
At $10/mo., this plan sounds almost too good to be true, considering how much software you get and 20GB of online storage to boot.
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html#idccPlansModal
Can I hear from any of you who are subscribed—would you do it again, any regrets, etc.? I am currently running LR6 and PS6, both stand alone versions; I shoot a Nikon D7000 and work principally on my PC at home, so mobile means little. I also know there are plenty of alternative post-production programs available these days, but I have spent a good deal of time mastering LR and have a decent grip on PS, so I am sticking with Adobe. Just wondering if this plan is really worth it. TIA.

Last edited:

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
I've been on the CC photographer's plan since CC came about, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. They update things all the time and are constantly adding new features. The coolest thing is you get access to the Lightroom mobile app which is seriously impressive and capable enough for me to consider using an ipad as my only editing hardware.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Yeah, it's just that PS6 and LR6 are pretty feature-rich already, and the mobile app is free (even though I do not have, or want, a tablet to edit on). I'm sure your iPad is convenient, being mobile, but once you edited a RAW file on a system with a multi-core processor, 16GB of RAM, and a 27 in. HD monitor, mobile runs a distant second. I just wonder if the 2018 CC features are must have for photographers, or if my $$ would be better spent on gear & glass. Thanks.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
I use Lightroom and Photoshop all the time, so the $10/month plan is worth it for me.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Just finished a Lynda.com course on the whole LR CC/Classic deal, and honestly, this push toward getting users tied to Adobe online just bugs me. Subscription-based applications (however affordable) have their advantages, I know, but rumor has it that Adobe will eventually end upgrades to the standalone version of LR (which now is at 6.14) and only CC users will get further updates and new features. Perhaps it's time to move over to Luminar; I'm using the 30-day full trial, and I have to say they have done an excellent job with it.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I've subscribed for the past 2 years, I think it's worth it.

edit: Actually, I have no idea how long. At least 1 year, but probably longer. :D

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Well, the feedback has been positive, so I may pull the trigger. Still evaluating Luminar, which is like LR in some respects, totally different in others. I only use the Develop and Library modules in LR, and not that much in PS, so on the fence I sit. Thank to all for the replies.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I think it's a reasonably good deal since you're always staying up to date (a full license of PS was like..$500?). No real complaints here other than the one time the Creative Cloud installer got messed up (solved via google-fu)

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Looking at the plans, it looks like $10/month only gets you LR while LR+PS is $20/month.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I switched to the 1TB and Lightroom plan which is the same price, essentially giving up Photoshop for the increased cloud storage. Thus far Lightroom alone has handled all my editing needs, but I would like to learn how to properly use Photoshop one day in the future...

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I've been on the CC photographer's plan since CC came about, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. They update things all the time and are constantly adding new features. The coolest thing is you get access to the Lightroom mobile app which is seriously impressive and capable enough for me to consider using an ipad as my only editing hardware.
^this is me, too. I even went and got one of those Eye-fi cards so I can transfer images wirelessly to a mobile device. Works great for quick edits in the field if you want to post something online or send a pic to friends over a messaging app. Even been thinking about getting a mobile photo printer.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
but I would like to learn how to properly use Photoshop one day in the future...
I've been saying that for 15 years.

I pay for LR and PS monthly, and only ever "Open In... Photoshop" when I need to do magical removal magic... then straight back to LR.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Looking at the plans, it looks like $10/month only gets you LR while LR+PS is $20/month.
Either I misread the plans earlier or Adobe changed them but now LR+LR Classic+PS is $10/month with 20GB cloud storage or LR+LR Classic+PS with 1TB storage for $20/month or just LR with 1TB storage for $10/month.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I've always used PS since way back, and started using LR for tethered shooting two years ago. Both programs do so much more than the average photographer will use them for, so consider that when making your decision. I'm running PS CC 2015 on my main machine, but no problem using PS from several generations back if that's what's installed on an older machine. Then again, I try to get everything lit, exposed and color balance well in camera so I don't have much beyond basic post production to do after the shoot.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
. . .. Then again, I try to get everything lit, exposed and color balance well in camera so I don't have much beyond basic post production to do after the shoot.

I really like that last sentence! :)

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I really like that last sentence! :)

Yeah, I've talked a lot of young photographers trying to make a living who complain about how for each day shooting they spend three days processing the photos. Frankly, I shoot in .jpg almost exclusively and can't remember the last time I had to do much at all to a photo for a client. And I have learned to just toss out any images that will need to be excessively massaged in Photoshop unless I have something truly exceptional.

Time management is important if you are going to make a living at this. With the low prices most clients expect to pay I can't afford to turn four hours of shooting into into four days of post processing work.

And the selling point of any image should be the content rather than something you did in post processing. Trying to make a mediocre image great in post processing is a losing game. And anyone who's every shot a wedding photo of the happy couple then 'shopped it B&W except for the bouquet is a weenie. Same thing for shooters who abuse ultra-wide lenses or razor thin DOF for no reason. Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Last edited:

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Yeah, I've talked a lot of young photographers trying to make a living who complain about how for each day shooting they spend three days processing the photos.
I come from the era when, for B&W, the darkroom was your last stop. What I most remember was when in the field, I was thinking about the lab, and vice versa. The old adage about "get it right in the camera" is no less true today than it was back then, but I love the freedom a RAW image gives me when using LR, especially making B&W from color images. I've yet to feel that same freedom with JPEGs. I do appreciate the info left in this post; I am in a "photo lull" right now, but when I come out of it, I like will take Adobe up on their plan. And yeah, the "all B&W except for the bouquet/car/whatever" is a gimmick whose time has ended.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Just finished a Lynda.com course on the whole LR CC/Classic deal, and honestly, this push toward getting users tied to Adobe online just bugs me. Subscription-based applications (however affordable) have their advantages, I know, but rumor has it that Adobe will eventually end upgrades to the standalone version of LR (which now is at 6.14) and only CC users will get further updates and new features. Perhaps it's time to move over to Luminar; I'm using the 30-day full trial, and I have to say they have done an excellent job with it.
Don`t base your decision based on rumor....

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Don`t base your decision based on rumor....
It wouldn't surprise me. We deal a lot with Adobe licensing and, while not the photographer subs, the academic ones are moving to subscription only based updates for ALL of their products. In fact the change they pushed out broke stand alone licensing for CC 2018 for academic users causing many orgs to scramble to fix class room labs and disable updates. Now schools have to deploy tens of thousands of Spark IDs to students to use they 2019 subscription models

Dec 10, 2005
I thought about the sub for LR when I got my 77d, since the older version of LR I had was not able to read the raw files on the 77d, but I don't shoot often enough to justify $10/mo. I ended up buying an upgrade version of LR 6.14, the last standalone version, after looking into potentially switching to other programs. That upgrade should hold me over for a really long time.

Reactions: turtile

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I pay $10 for LR plus PS and it's worth it for me. I'm a semi pro real estate photographer so it's just the cost of doing business. But they are excellent products, and I only use the LR portion of the bundle plus Photomatix Pro myself.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
OK, well I was a bit hasty in my desire to jump to another program from LR. I have so much training time invested in it (since Ver. 4) and the two applications I've tried as alternatives kinda leave me flat in comparison. It does such a stellar job at just cataloging that all the rest are sucking hind teat, so I reckon I'll stay with it for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paladin3

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
OK, well I was a bit hasty in my desire to jump to another program from LR. I have so much training time invested in it (since Ver. 4) and the two applications I've tried as alternatives kinda leave me flat in comparison. It does such a stellar job at just cataloging that all the rest are sucking hind teat, so I reckon I'll stay with it for now.
Exactly. For years folks have been telling me to try Gimp or whatever their favorite software is over Adobe PS and LR. I started using Photoshop in the mid 90s. Why would I try to learn a new suite of software at this late date in the game when those two Adobe programs do everything I need and much more.