Adobe Illistrator: Pen Tool. Creating Thick to thin Lines.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
A few years ago I made this:

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/9200/92398329.jpg

It must have been an accident but its exactly what I want to replicate. Only this time its in illustrator. Some of the things I don't understand:

1. The line comes to a point at both ends, rather than being a basic line.
2. The line's width increases at a specific point and then immediately becomes smaller.

Even though I don't remember how I created this image all those years ago, I do remember not having more than one pen-line to create this shape. (Then again this was in Photoshop, and not Illistrator).

Any help appreciated.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
That's a brush on a path.

Create art for whaatever you're going for in a straight line - thick to thin would be a triangle. Steps:

1. Draw a triangle.
2. Create a new 'art brush' with your triangle selected.
3. Select new brush
4. Draw a bezier path (your screenshot would be as simple as 2 points)

Here's a screenshot of source art, the art brush it makes, and the effect is has on a path. This is one of the default brushes in CS4.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
--Actually could you talk a little more about the triangle aspect? I was able to create the Brush, the path and basically got the whole thing down except the "thick to thin" part so I can make the shape thicker in some areas and thinner in others. (If that was what you were trying to explain when you were discussing triangles that is).

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Make a symmetrical, very tall triangle.
Rotate it 90 degrees, so it's pointing left or right.
Make a brush out of it and apply it to a path.

Like so.

Creating an art brush will allow you to fit (almost) any art to the contour of a path. Here I drew a rectangle, 3d extruded it, had to delete the clipping paths to simplify the art, made a brush and applied it to a path.

Wireframe

The art can be complex, but some features won't be supported. I don't know the list of things it doesn't like for brushes but probably things like clipping paths, raster masks, images -- anything you'd assume might be mathematically difficult for it to transform when fitting to a path.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
To create what you've got in your image, imagine what it would look like if the path it followed were straightened out. Draw that, then make a brush out of it.

In Photoshop, the process is /totally/ different.