adobe flash player 10.1 beta 3: stable?

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
hi guys

[I'm posting this in the video cards and graphics section as flash 10.1 is the one that allows GPU acceleration of HD flash video, which is why I'm interested in getting it.]

What's your impression of adobe flash player 10.1 beta 3?
Is it worth downloading for vista 32-bit, and is it stable?

I really don't want to be much of a guinea pig on prerelease software, especially on my home computer where I really just want the thing to be stable so my wife can use it and we can watch the occasional flash video content.
but given that this is a beta 3, so it's had a chance to be perfected a bit, and given that I just got an ati hd4350 and would like some of that neato hardware acceleration so I don't get stutter on my not-so-fast computer (athlon64 x2 3600), I'm inclined to try it if it's got a good reputation for stability.

anyone here tried it and can report on whether I'll get system lockups or crashes or IE not working (I'm using IE8) or closing unexpectedly or videos not playing or other random crap I don't want my computer doing if I install it?

thanks

update 3/14: downloaded and installed it. Very happy with it. Had some sweet The Price is Right 1080p experience last night from cbs.com. I could read their t-shirts and the small print on the little products they had up on stage! :)

Last edited:

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Havent had any probs with it, works great , youtube is faster and smoother....videos load quicker etc.

Both IE8 and Firefox 3.6 works flawless with beta 2 and 3.

Windows 7 X64 Ultimate :cool:

Last edited:

at80eighty

Jun 28, 2004
win7 32bit & 64bit here : Been working smooth like butter here. it's only a little but I could notice the difference in smoothness, which is great when I'm streaming TV shows on TVgorge.com

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
update 3/14: downloaded and installed it. Very happy with it. Had some sweet The Price is Right 1080p experience last night from cbs.com. I could read their t-shirts and the small print on the little products they had up on stage! :)

thanks all

Piotrsama

Feb 7, 2010
It's not working right for me.

Installed the 10.1 beta 3 (only the plugin, not the Active-x), and I tried several videos on Youtube (720p, 1080p), but all the work is being done by the CPU.
GPUZ shows no activity for my 4850 (using cat 9.9).

This page (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html) tells me I'm using WIN 10,1,51,95 version.

What could be the problem?
Thanks.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
It's not working right for me.

Installed the 10.1 beta 3 (only the plugin, not the Active-x), and I tried several videos on Youtube (720p, 1080p), but all the work is being done by the CPU.
GPUZ shows no activity for my 4850 (using cat 9.9).

This page (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html) tells me I'm using WIN 10,1,51,95 version.

What could be the problem?
Thanks.
supposed to be supported from cat 9.11, so try installing the latest cat 10.2.

Last edited:

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Full GPU acceleration is only for mobile devices. H.246 video is accelerated in hardware.
From release notes:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/releasenotes.pdf
Graphics hardware acceleration (mobile only)
A GPU-based vector renderer replaces the software renderer on smartphones and other mobile devices, resulting in faster rendering performance for more expressive user experiences while consuming less power. Supports hardware acceleration of all rendering, including vector graphics, bitmaps, 3D effects, filters, color transforms, alpha, device and embedded text, Saffron type, and cacheAsBitmap.
H.264 video hardware decoding
Flash Player 10.1 introduces hardware-based H.264 video decoding to deliver smooth, high quality video with minimal overhead across mobile devices and PCs. Using available hardware to decode video offloads tasks from the CPU, improving video playback performance, reducing system resource utilization, and preserving battery life.
10.1 does take advantage of multiple processors though.