Adobe and AMD Enable Brilliant Experiences

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by AtenRa, Apr 24, 2012.

1. iCyborg

iCyborg Golden Member

I don't understand this. What is "code" here? What kind of FP computations can you do on a CPU, but cannot do via CUDA/OpenCL on a GPU, performance considerations aside?

I don't see how it's misleading: QuickSync doesn't try nor purport to do anything general, it's only for video transcoding. Unlike stream processors, even if they are often a very poor choice.

2. Lonbjerg

Lonbjerg Diamond Member

It is...IVB launch is over.

BTW:
    Jeg ved hvem du er ;)
    J..... ....

HLJ
    FR
    ;)

.oO(Ellers er sammentræffet ret griner...)

3. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Haha Hej :D

4. Lonbjerg

Lonbjerg Diamond Member

Welcome to ATF ;)

5. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

The CPU can do everything. This is basicly also what makes it "slow". Where the GPU is very limited in the abilities and what instructions it can execute. There is also another issue. 1 flop aint equal to 1 flop either. The GPU might need 4 flops to accomplish what the CPU handles in 1 flop.

Take a look on the OpenCL programming guide for nVidia:
    http://www.nvidia.com/content/cudazone/download/OpenCL/NVIDIA_OpenCL_ProgrammingGuide.pdf

Then compare it to a regular one for x86/x64. :)

6. Cerb

Cerb Elite Member

Very good for AMD, but no, not nearly a coup. Adobe even said awhile back that they went with CUDA because there was nothing else, and would use OpenCL for future versions.

7. iCyborg

iCyborg Golden Member

Instruction set has nothing to do with this. Or does this mean Pentium 1 is not "general purpose" any more, because it lacks many instructions that IB/Bulldozer have? Or ARM? Also, GPUs have some instructions that not all CPUs have as of now, like FMA.

The point is that stream processors in GPUs are designed so they can also be used for many different purposes. In a Turing-complete sense, GPUs are equivalent to CPUs in terms of computability, i.e. they too can do everything. QuickSync was designed for one purpose and is not a step forward in GPGPU. It's a step forward in video transcoding.

8. RavenSEAL

RavenSEAL Diamond Member

Some people use "cuda-stuff", really expensive "cuda-stuff". Can't wait to see what my 6870s can in Premiere Pro once my company upgrades to CS6.

9. nismotigerwvu

nismotigerwvu Golden Member

....and glide offered better performance than opengl and directx....As long as performance is "good enough" getting this out to the full market rather than just one vendor will be a big step forward.

10. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

I think you should read the programming guide.

11. iCyborg

iCyborg Golden Member

12. denev2004

denev2004 Member

This is merely an old programming guide...The newest should be version 4.0
    BTW version 2.3 was..I guess for GT200.

13. denev2004

denev2004 Member

And...I do wonder only on the arithmetic level whether there is something GPU can't "do".
    At least we get Taylor Series don't we guys?
    Well, efficiency & speed must be a problem.
    If I remember it correctly the INT shift instruction in GK104 runs about 1/6 of the FP SP speed

14. Lonbjerg

Lonbjerg Diamond Member

Glide failed to to 3Dfx's hardware circus, that took out not only glide...but also VooDoo graphics chips...nice fail :)

15. nismotigerwvu

Actually glide started losing it's grip on the tail end of the Voodoo 2 era, which was unquestionably the fastest card still at the time. Nice attempted troll though.

16. nismotigerwvu

17. AtenRa

AtenRa Lifer

18. Bruceee

Bruceee Junior Member

I found this thread, http://forums.adobe.com/thread/994892 on the Adobe site. Here is the reason OpenCL isn't implemented yet.

"David McGavran here, engineering manager for Premiere Pro. You can stop speculating. Porting MPE to OpenCL was hard, very hard! It took an entire cycle to get it to work. It isn't just about the engineering effort it is about the testing effort and making sure it will work. We worked very closely with partners to make this happen. We focused on the mac first because there aren't any NVidia cards in the apple store configurations for our customers here. We focused on the macbooks because many of our customers use these products. We developed the OpenCL code so that it can in the future possibly work on windows. We are very interested in making sure our product uses all the compute power that your computer has. No conspiracy theories just time and effort and balancing all the work we need to get done so that you can have the product you want to use to make great video.

Hope that helps

Dave"

I'll wait a while before I select a gpu. I would guess at cs6.5 there's an openCL for windows.

19. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

10.3 years, 1 post.

nice.

20. GlacierFreeze

GlacierFreeze Golden Member

He's wins the Ultimate Lurker Award. lol

21. Fox5

Fox5 Diamond Member

I thin the interesting thing here is that the Intel cpus are so competitive with basically everything except AMD's most recent cards, in a task that's extremely parallelizable.