Administration believes Fourth Amendment does not apply to them

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
"It's just a goddammed piece of paper," so what are you getting so upset about anyway?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Originally posted by: Dari
"I serve at the pleasure of the President."

I never fully understood what that meant.

Ask Monica, she will explain it.

No, she serves to pleasure the President...

Gawd, give me back the days when the worst thing about our President was that he got a BJ from a fat, ugly Jewish girl...(and lied about it...like any other man would have when he got caught)

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: piasabird
So when the country is in a state of War, doesnt that change things a bit?

What a conveniently vague way of phrasing that question. In fact, every time I hear that argument, it's some candy-ass way of arguing for a position without actually saying anything that means anything. At least you didn't go for the trite "the world changed on 9/11", but you didn't improve the argument a whole lot either. What are "things", at what is "a bit"? You suggest being in a "state of War" should be justification for doing SOME things differently without specifying what those things are, yet with the obvious implied argument that virtually ANYTHING is justified if we're at war.

Here's your question phrased in a more honest way: "So when the country is in a state of War, doesn't that change the President's obligation to uphold the constitution?" Of course you didn't actually phrase it that way because it sounds pretty silly.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
If those in power are not abusing the rights of the people, why not leave a paper trail? ":music:Trust in me:music:" sings the snake in Jungle Tales and so does Bush.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Concealment can be used to argue admission in a court case. How does it apply to public opinion?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
"I serve at the pleasure of the President."

I never fully understood what that meant.

Yeah, I hear you. It's all in the translation - which is, "I serve to pleasure the president...and his boss."

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007

Edit: Never-mind, there are so many fallacies in that question, it's hilarious.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

It can.

But that's up to the Congress. Under the Constitution it has certain "War Powers'. One of those is the suspension of Habeus Corpus (part of the 4th Amendment). But that's a different matter than suspending the rights regarding "search & seizure". The aurthor here is just making stuff up and engaging in pure speculation.

Congress has to pass a War Powers law suspending habeus corpus, then the President acts. The President himself has no authority to suspend habeus corpus (although Lincoln did that among other things uniaterally and without Congressional approval).

Fern