Additional Hard Drive

putttter

Feb 1, 2000
I have a Gateway that is about three years old and I am running out of space on my hard drive. Is it possible to install an additional hard drive on this computer, what might a ballpark price be to do this, or should I just invest in a new computer????? Thanks for the help......

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
if all you want is more space, it would be quite easy and relatively cheap to do this, I don't know how much you want to spend, but check the hot deals forum for a good deal on a 5400 rpm hdd, then all you would have to do is set it to slave (via the onboard jumpers) and run fdisk on it, and you are set.

20 gigs $40 bucks

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
HDDs are pretty cheap. DaiShan is right - and another option which has other benefits is to install a Firewire or USB 2.0 PCI card and drivers, and add an external HDD that you can always take with you even if you upgrade computers. You can lock it up as well, and thus secure your data.

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
If you think you are up to fitting the internal hard drive then I would go for that. An External hard drive like the Firewire Iomega Peerless is fast and handy for going from machine to machine but pricey and you would have to fit a Firewire card anyway.

USB hjard drives are fairly slow, most upload data at 1 - 1.5mb/s as opposed to most internal hard drives being around 25mb/s or sp.

Corm