Question Additional Cooling???

Elite Member
Feb 11, 2000
Folks, I'm in a bit of a quandry. I have a Dell Inspiron desktop and would like to upgrade the CPU. I've got an upgrade path staked out, just need to verify some things and look at other possibilities. The CPU that I'd like to upgrade to (i7-6700K 6th gen Sky Lake) will require better cooling than I have. I plan on using a Noctua NH-L9x65 92x92 HSF unit. Some folks have expressed concern that my case will not have enough airflow and would result in "throttling". Unfortunately my desktop only has one 80mm case fan in the back, and the only fan connectors I have are for the CPU HSF and the case fan. There isn't a lot of room in the front of the case. Is there a way of connecting multiple fans to one MoBo fan connector? Should I go to a high velocity 80mm fan? Are there other cooling solutions that run off of USB ports? Any input would be greatly appreciated. The desktop is running great ever since I upgraded to an SSD C: drive. Just looking for a bit more - like when I was running a Celeron 566 at 850 back in the late 90s's.;)

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
r u sure you dont want to build a new AMD 2600x + b450 system for under $500 or so? you can try to reuse the storage drive, maybe RAM? and you'll have a much faster system, and a new case w/ much better cooling

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Considering it's OEM board, have you measured its mounting point? Because in my experience, OEM sometimes use custom board which include odd HSF mounting point.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
You could use a powered fan hub to connect more fans to your motherboard. I've used these 2 with PWM fans.
Unpowered

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
You could use a powered fan hub to connect more fans to your motherboard. I've used these 2 with PWM fans.
Unpowered

are you suggesting him totally mod his OEM pc? OEM cases have horrible airflow and poor ventilation. circulating hot air won't do anything except add more noise and dust.

OP get a new PC

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
are you suggesting him totally mod his OEM pc? OEM cases have horrible airflow and poor ventilation. circulating hot air won't do anything except add more noise and dust.

OP get a new PC
I've never heard anyone say that adding a fan hub was totally modding a PC before. He asked if there was any way to connect multiple fans to one mobo header and I gave him an answer.

Reactions: peter.jaques

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
I've never heard anyone say that adding a fan hub was totally modding a PC before. He asked if there was any way to connect multiple fans to one mobo header and I gave him an answer.
right, great job answering his specific question. Where would he mount that 2nd fan?????

Also, OEM cases absolutely suck at cooling and adding things. Absolutely the worst.

OP< if you're looking to get a new CPU + HSF, you're better off just getting a new MB,CPU,RAM. Any cheap case under $50 will have options for 2x 120mm fans.